Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

Wires, Connections, and Signal Integrity

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum Wires, Connections, and Signal Integrity

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

As most of you know, I’m an engineer, and I dabble in a lot. One of the things that I take a ton of pride in, is my custom wires… be they for patch, instro, or speaker.

I typically use Mogami Wire and Neutrik connectors exclusively, but even with all of that, the jack on my battle bass is scratchy as Hell lately. And, since I’m wireless, there’s no cable strain, so I’m perplexed. Yes, I can easily fix it, but what about improving it?

Back in my radio-control-car days, we used to replace the generic, tin, hair-dryer connectors on our motors and batteries, with high current, heavy duty connectors. Obviously, there’s no high current at the instro jack, but it seems to be an area of regular failure, for many musicians, and it’s really an out-dated design, which as near as I can tell, is only still in use, because it’s universal, and it swivels.

These are gold contacts, don’t come apart, and I could easily make 1/4 adapters. I would simply leave a wire hanging out of the bass jack, with this connector on it. Has anyone else ever tried to overcome this weakness?

Dean's T Plug Pair (Female - Male) Battery Connectors | JSumo.com

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Still4strings
    Participant

Not exactly, but in my experience the worst offenders are the barrel jacks (the ones that install in the side of the bass) and the jacks that have a plastic frame.

Flush-mount Output Jack | stewmac.com

Guitar Parts Factory - Jacks

I have installed Neutrik locking jacks in a few basses and never had problem with those. They’re big and expensive, though. I had some customers who requested them.

Neutrik NJ3FP6C 1/4" Locking Chassis Jack Nickel

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

I have very rarely had a Switchcraft front mount fail on me. In fact, I can’t think of a single time. Cheap versions with flimsy steel and/or crappy plating, plenty of failures, but Switchcraft has been good to me.

Switchcraft Output Jack | stewmac.com

Jeff Preston
    Participant

I used a Pure Tone Full Contact jack when I modified the controls on the JB.
    Pure Tone Mono Multi-Contact 1/4″ Output Jack

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Still4strings
    Participant

That looks like an excellent design! And for only $4.20.

NSYMCE
    Participant

First off, barrel jacks are the Debbil’s Work. And I’ve seen 1/4 plugs come apart once someone went to a “better” jack like the Neutriks or the Pure Tone. As you know, you pick your failure modes and you live with your choices. FWIW, I think the Switchcraft ones look a little nicer than the Neutriks.

As you may remember, I went with a 4 pin XLR on my latest fretless, and power the electronics from offboard. The Neutrik or Swichcraft locking jacks will fit right in should I decide to go with something more compatible with the outside world, but where’s the fun in that?

I’ve gone with the hanging chad route before, as well as two cable systems. KISS is the inevitable lesson, learn it now or learn it later. If you want to use that connector set I’m completely with you, but for Jah’s sake do a proper route or plate mount and flush mount it in your bass.

fcleff69

I have very rarely had a Switchcraft front mount fail on me.

TWSS

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

fcleff69

When I was doing the last round of mods on the Meatstroke I installed a Switchcraft mono in place of the big wonky plastic thing. It was at that point I realized that I must have devalued the bass by several thousand dollars, so I put the blow torch to it.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Not exactly, but in my experience the worst offenders are the barrel jacks (the ones that install in the side of the bass) and the jacks that have a plastic frame.

Flush-mount Output Jack | stewmac.com

Guitar Parts Factory - Jacks

I have installed Neutrik locking jacks in a few basses and never had problem with those. They’re big and expensive, though. I had some customers who requested them.

Neutrik NJ3FP6C 1/4" Locking Chassis Jack Nickel

OHHHH! I like that! Will it clear a P control cavity?

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I have very rarely had a Switchcraft front mount fail on me. In fact, I can’t think of a single time. Cheap versions with flimsy steel and/or crappy plating, plenty of failures, but Switchcraft has been good to me.

Switchcraft Output Jack | stewmac.com

Mine isn’t “failing” mechanically, but it’s failing from a signal aspect. Sweat? Condensation? In any event, everything that I use is the best I can get, so if this happened, I’d rather rework it, than simply clean it.

... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

As they say in China… I reary rike dat Jeff!

... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Right?

... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Jeff is really stepping up to the plate… And he’s probably like… wow, Amy really does play the bass too?

... Al Capone

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

First off, barrel jacks are the Debbil’s Work. And I’ve seen 1/4 plugs come apart once someone went to a “better” jack like the Neutriks or the Pure Tone. As you know, you pick your failure modes and you live with your choices. FWIW, I think the Switchcraft ones look a little nicer than the Neutriks.

As you may remember, I went with a 4 pin XLR on my latest fretless, and power the electronics from offboard. The Neutrik or Swichcraft locking jacks will fit right in should I decide to go with something more compatible with the outside world, but where’s the fun in that?

I’ve gone with the hanging chad route before, as well as two cable systems. KISS is the inevitable lesson, learn it now or learn it later. If you want to use that connector set I’m completely with you, but for Jah’s sake do a proper route or plate mount and flush mount it in your bass.

This seams logical. I could see that increasing the clamping power of the female part, would obviously cause undo stress on the male part… However, in this scenario, it won’t cost me $150 in drinks first.

I like the other options, but I may lean toward the XLR. Especially since my wireless is a mini XLR, so I might even be able to buy ready-made cables then!

... Al Capone

Andyman001
    Participant

If you’re sure it’s the jack b try cleaning the contact. I’ve always wanted to make something to clean it by just sticking it through the hole (tee he he) spray some contact cleaner,and go to town.

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

TA4 Mini XLR to XLR!

TA4 Connectors are Bullshit And We All Know it – Wav.Report

... Al Capone

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I could see that increasing the clamping power of the female part, would obviously cause undo stress on the male part

Go on.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I could see that increasing the clamping power of the female part, would obviously cause undo stress on the male part

Go on.

Yes, you really don’t know whether I’m talking about country girl or Switchcraft

... Al Capone

7 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

Right?

I’ve been meaning to pick up a couple to mess with. There was an at least similar design back in the 70s or early 80s, but IIRC it was a lot bigger and clunkier looking, and probably meant more for rack patch bays and the like.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

Go on.

Yes, you really don’t know whether I’m talking about country girl or Switchcraft

One or more of them is compatible with a 1/4″.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.