Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

What if my Tribute is a better bass than my optioned US Version?

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club What if my Tribute is a better bass than my optioned US Version?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jim C
    Participant

Maybe:   2020 JB, CAR Metallic on Empress; Blocks (on carib. RW board); Matching head stock;  7.5 lbs.

Jive ass JB2 Tribute; natural, RW,  8.5 lbs           Don’t have the same strings on both but they are reasonably fresh good quality.   Seems like I play better and am more at home on the Tribby.     Am I the only one?

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Tributes only lack in options and finishes.  I would own only tributes if anything besides the L2k came in lefty.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I would say my option order SB-2 is better than my custom shop Kilo.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

Seems like I play better and am more at home on the Tribby.

I’d say you’re pretty lucky…

… and you saved at least 15%, by switching to GEICO.

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

fcleff69

I have 3 Tributes: 2017 L-2500, 2000 Tookay (MIJ), 2002 Tookay (MIJ) and they all play better than my 1996 L-5500 Fullerton. I have two more USAs on the way so the jury is out but we’ll soon see.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

If that’s the case, maybe sell the OpOrder 2020 and buy three more Tribbys?

I wish I would’ve bought that beat up blue SB-2 Tribby I saw on Reverb a couple of weeks ago.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

I have two more USAs on the way so the jury is out but we’ll soon see.

Sure ya do…

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

fcleff69

Sure ya do…

My 1981 Wunkay is due tomorrow. I just checked the shipping.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    JMLee
    Participant

I’m down to two Tributes (SB-2 now with tone control, and JB-2 with US Bartolini pickups) and both are terrific instruments: good enough that I’ve managed to resist the urge to replace them with US versions as I’ve done for my other 6 G&L basses. I find myself thinking about USing one of them—would love a really nice JB-2—but then I ask myself, “How much better could it really be than this one?” The answer routinely is not much, so I’ve done nothing about the situation.

---------------------------------------------------
    WORF: It is screeching... pounding...dissonant.
    It is not music.
    RIKER: Worf, it's better than music -- it's jazz!
    --Star Trek, The Next Generation
    ---------------------------------------------------

Jeff Preston
    Participant

I’m down to two Tributes (SB-2 now with tone control, and JB-2 with US Bartolini pickups) and both are terrific instruments: good enough that I’ve managed to resist the urge to replace them with US versions as I’ve done for my other 6 G&L basses. I find myself thinking about USing one of them—would love a really nice JB-2—but then I ask myself, “How much better could it really be than this one?” The answer routinely is not much, so I’ve done nothing about the situation.

Welcome again!

JP

fcleff69

Good to see you again. Now someone here has as many, or more, G&Ls than me.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

“How much better could it really be than this one?” The answer routinely is not much, so I’ve done nothing about the situation.

Especially now. When Tributes came out, their quality was so high, that they were indistinguishable from the US stuff. Now both are pure chaotic mayhem… Pot luck. We’ve all seen repeated fails on both, so the answer lies with G&L. When they turn around, it will change everything.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

6 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

When Tributes came out, their quality was so high, that they were indistinguishable from the US stuff.

My 2002 MIJ Tookay Blackie is absolutely incredible. The build quality is above that of my 2020 Ruby BTO.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.