Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    Spidey2112

I played through a Mesa Bass 400+ once and was blown away. I could never afford something like that, though.

I bought both my MB500 and Shuttle for under tree fiddy.  I don’t think the Mesa’s will ever sell for that, but if they ever do, I’m on it…

… as well as a million others.  I’d love to try one out, though.

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

I’ve had my Carvin ProBass 150 forever.  I use it for Slipstream rehearsals, and love it.  It’s never over a quarter of full volume, and it’s plenty loud.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Original Quilter or one with a few more knobs? Never tried one but the original looked a little sparse. My keyboard player uses a K12 and it kills.

The original!!! Yes, plain jane, but it’s fucking magical! And everyone whose had one agrees. Try to try one. I still intend to buy one. Also, look into these, they have a bass amp setting in the DSP and they’re made by Quilter, so the sound is near identical… Plus you get the added benefit of using it for vocals at the same time.

https://www.qsc.com/systems/products/loudspeakers/powered-installed-loudspeakers/kw-series/kw122/

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’ve had my Carvin ProBass 150 forever. I use it for Slipstream rehearsals, and love it.

But bear in mind that it looks like an SVT in the videos.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

But bear in mind that it looks like an SVT in the videos.

LMAO!  That’s what I use at LNA’s rehearsal space.

NSYMCE
    Participant

Original Quilter or one with a few more knobs? Never tried one but the original looked a little sparse. My keyboard player uses a K12 and it kills.

The original!!! Yes, plain jane, but it’s fucking magical! And everyone whose had one agrees. Try to try one. I still intend to buy one. Also, look into these, they have a bass amp setting in the DSP and they’re made by Quilter, so the sound is near identical… Plus you get the added benefit of using it for vocals at the same time.

https://www.qsc.com/systems/products/loudspeakers/powered-installed-loudspeakers/kw-series/kw122/

It’s actually the other way around, the Quilter branded stuff is made in the QSC factory. But QSC = Quilter Sound Company and Pat Quilter is still a company principal there. At NAMM the two companies were in completely different buildings last time around, FWIW.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

I just picked up a Magellan 800 and I get all jizzy when I play through it. The tone is the best I have ever achieved. So far I’ve played The Bowling Ball, The Meatstroke, and the JJ2 through it and they all killed. It is especially good for fretless.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

NSYMCE
    Participant

I just picked up a Magellan 800 and I get all jizzy when I play through it. The tone is the best I have ever achieved. So far I’ve played The Bowling Ball, The Meatstroke, and the JJ2 through it and they all killed. It is especially good for fretless.

Their new-ish 115 cab with the small driver array is ripping and Jeff G specifically recommended it to me for fretless and/or upright. My luthier buddy was probably gonna do a co-op with Genzler at NAMM 2021, if that actually existed.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Their new-ish 115 cab

Just looked it up and holy smokes it looks nice. It would be interesting to stack that on top of my 12-3 Array straight cab. Could also be cool to stack the straight cab on top of the 15-3 slant cab. $$$$ but I’ll eventually look into it.

NSYMCE
    Participant

Their new-ish 115 cab

Just looked it up and holy smokes it looks nice. It would be interesting to stack that on top of my 12-3 Array straight cab. Could also be cool to stack the straight cab on top of the 15-3 slant cab. $$$$ but I’ll eventually look into it.

Yeah, they had a stack like that at the show as their #1 demo rig, it was probably my favorite setup I heard there this year.

Jim C
    Participant

I A/B’d my friends to my MBF800. Thought it sounded good and more similar than different.   Didn’t run out an buy one, but what do I know? I still like Ampeg tube pre’s / power amps and SWR SM400’s (with a HPF).

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

It’s actually the other way around, the Quilter branded stuff is made in the QSC factory. But QSC = Quilter Sound Company and Pat Quilter is still a company principal there.

Yes I knew/ remember that, but it wouldve required a high degree of additional typing, and I suspected that you would catch it and then correct it for me. NAILED IT!!!

... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I A/B’d my friends to my MBF800. Thought it sounded good and more similar than different. Didn’t run out an buy one, but what do I know? I still like Ampeg tube pre’s / power amps and SWR SM400’s (with a HPF).

Yeah, honstly, I think that if I had two Vb4’s I’d be thrilled and set for life.

... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    RAWNCHY R&R
    Participant

Still prefer Baer 12’s as my cab of choice. The Ampeg 8pro, GK 550, and V4 probably get the most use these days.

A.K.A – The Magical Luchadore, The Fiddler on the Roof, The Salty Dog, Grits and Gravy...

NSYMCE
    Participant

It’s actually the other way around, the Quilter branded stuff is made in the QSC factory. But QSC = Quilter Sound Company and Pat Quilter is still a company principal there.

Yes I knew/ remember that, but it wouldve required a high degree of additional typing, and I suspected that you would catch it and then correct it for me. NAILED IT!!!

Meh, close enough for punk rock.

Jim C
    Participant

Charlie, when you used store bought amps, what were your faves?

NSYMCE
    Participant

Charlie, when you used store bought amps, what were your faves?

I used G-Ks quite happily for years, starting when they were called GMT. Then I did the rack preamp/power amp thing for quite a while. When I started doing jazz I went through an EBS/Euphonic Audio/Acoustic Image progression, but none of them really worked that great for me for rock stuff. So I tried DIY rack preamps and QSCs for a while and finally dialed in my own preamps after 30+ years of failing. The QSC PLX1804 was by far my favorite commercial power amp for bass rigs, FWIW.

As far as commercial cabs in my jazz phase, I went through Schroeder, AccuGroove, and EA, the EA one was the best for my needs. I’ve been using AudioKinesis for about a decade now, just the same TC112 for all that time.

Right now I’d be looking at Mesa or Genzler first, I reckon. I really dig the Genzler array concept. I think very highly of Jim Bergantino and Roger Baer as well. In all honesty, a lot of this comes down to personal interaction with these builders at this point. I was all lined up to hook up with Ampeg several years ago but their amps manager got sacked a few days before the NAMM show where that was gonna go down. Luckily I had a backup plan, but it’s still hard to not think about what-if.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I was all lined up to hook up with Ampeg several years ago but their amps manager got sacked a few days before the NAMM show where that was gonna go down. Luckily I had a backup plan, but it’s still hard to not think about what-if.

It wouldve been cool to see the outcome of that

... Al Capone

fcleff69

Actual footage of the tone I get from my Magellan 800:

CCD1525B-857E-4E0D-BB83-826089F8FD02

NSYMCE
    Participant

Actual footage of the tone I get from my Magellan 800:

CCD1525B-857E-4E0D-BB83-826089F8FD02

So you’re saying it sounds like ass?

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.