Menu Close

What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I’ve had a number of tube amps although have not tried the Traynor, eh.      IMO, there are only two that matter, V4B or SVT. Everything else is some punk ass wannabe. Yet I continue to look…    Ever try the Ginger pedal?  https://reverb.com/item/26479456-smokin-amp-co-ginger-bass-overdrive-ampeg-sb-12-portaflex%5B/quote%5D
    Nope, never have.  I’ll look for demos later.

From what I’ve heard, I would probably love a V4B.  I found the PF-XXts a little dull, though.  But my Traynor really isn’t missing anything, and it was so cheap by comparison ($450 used at GC), so I doubt I would invest much in any other tube amps.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

It’s an absolutely phenomenal cab. I haven’t found a tube amp I like with it, though. It tends to resonate around B (on a EADG 4-string). It did this for the PF-50t, PF-20t, Little Bastard, and Little Stubby. Only the CTM-15 didn’t seem to have that problem. Every hybrid or SS amp sounds great through it, though.

The trouble with tube amps led me to Barefaced cabs.

Alex and I corresponded a ton before he started Barefaced, and it’s been cool to see him make a real go of that. The only one of his cabs I’ve heard in person was the Super Twin, which just wouldn’t work for me at all unless I took a huge swerve in the styles I typically play. I’d love to give the hi-fi models a whirl though.

I virtually never use the port plugs in my TC112AF cab either, but with this new amp build I’m assuming nothing for the moment.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Alex and I corresponded a ton before he started Barefaced, and it’s been cool to see him make a real go of that. The only one of his cabs I’ve heard in person was the Super Twin, which just wouldn’t work for me at all unless I took a huge swerve in the styles I typically play. I’d love to give the hi-fi models a whirl though. I virtually never use the port plugs in my TC112AF cab either, but with this new amp build I’m assuming nothing for the moment.

Oh yeah?  That’s very cool.  You know all the right people 🙂

I would love to try a Super Twin, but yeah, I could see it as being even more limiting than the Retro series.

I watched his demo and was actually surprised at the difference in tone between his tweetered cabs.  I have a weird aversion to tweeters, though, which is why I wound up with the Hathor and the Two10.

NSYMCE
    Participant

Oh yeah?  That’s very cool.  You know all the right people 🙂 I would love to try a Super Twin, but yeah, I could see it as being even more limiting than the Retro series. I watched his demo and was actually surprised at the difference in tone between his tweetered cabs.  I have a weird aversion to tweeters, though, which is why I wound up with the Hathor and the Two10.

Bear in mind that I’m pretty much a fretless-only guy. There was a gap of around 33 years between my owning even a single fretted bass, but I do have one now. Amplifying  fretless BG and especially upright without a tweeter is a huge drag for me. And then of course you’re up against sucky distortion sounds, noisy amps and especially onboard preamps, yada yada. So in typically contrarian fashion I just build my own solutions, or mostly do without in the case of pedals. But with the new tube amp I sould easily see just using my pair of BMS loaded 115 cabs and calling it good. I don’t really need yet another uber squeaky clean rig at all. 😎

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Bear in mind that I’m pretty much a fretless-only guy.

Ah, that makes sense.

I think my main aversion to tweeters is because I only took up playing again a few years ago, and I was really rusty–I mean shitty.  So I didn’t want to hear all that high-end detail.  It hurt!  I’ve managed to tighten up a little.  But the tones I like are either somewhat mellow anyway, or distorted enough that I like taming the high end to keep it from getting too harsh.  I enjoy playing clean and flat through headphones sometimes, but through a speaker, I appreciate a little tone shaping.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Anyone build their own cabs? I have an old Hartke 210 combo that I’d like to make into a cab and head setup. Can’t seem to find anything online.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

Anyone build their own cabs? I have an old Hartke 210 combo that I’d like to make into a cab and head setup. Can’t seem to find anything online.

210s are not the most popular DIY format, seemingly. This guy has a few for-pay designs though:

https://billfitzmaurice.info/Jack.html

As usual, you really need the full set of driver specs to do it right.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

Alex and I corresponded a ton before he started Barefaced, and it’s been cool to see him make a real go of that. The only one of his cabs I’ve heard in person was the Super Twin, which just wouldn’t work for me at all unless I took a huge swerve in the styles I typically play. I’d love to give the hi-fi models a whirl though. I virtually never use the port plugs in my TC112AF cab either, but with this new amp build I’m assuming nothing for the moment.

Oh yeah? That’s very cool. You know all the right people 🙂

I would love to try a Super Twin, but yeah, I could see it as being even more limiting than the Retro series.

I watched his demo and was actually surprised at the difference in tone between his tweetered cabs. I have a weird aversion to tweeters, though, which is why I wound up with the Hathor and the Two10.

You’ve got a Two10, right? I’ve got a Super Twin. We could trade for a spell.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

Still4strings
    Participant

Funny thing, small world. I helped Alex Claber purchase some bass gear from the US years before he started Barefaced. I forgot all about it. When I contacted him about a cab, he asked “Hey, are you the same guy that blah blah blah?” WHERE ARE MY FREE BASS CABS ALEX

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

5 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

You’ve got a Two10, right? I’ve got a Super Twin. We could trade for a spell.

I’d be up for that once we’re settled from the move.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

210s are not the most popular DIY format, seemingly. This guy has a few for-pay designs though:

https://billfitzmaurice.info/Jack.html

As usual, you really need the full set of driver specs to do it right.

I looked at his site a while back. Didn’t find much for 210’s. I’ll look again.

Probably better to buy something anyway.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar