Menu Close

What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

BTW… you can post whatever you like here

No I can’t

I had a light up old style TE SMX or something like that; 500 watts that sound like a million; stupid loud; you could go from tube to SS pre-amp too. I never loved that amp although the black light was way cool; one that was sold and never missed.

Tried a M6 in a store. Super punchy and really fast. Brutal attack. Surprised they aren’t used much for metal actually.

Funny how people used to shit all over the 900 as very few still are around that didn’t burn up. The factory fix was to lower them to 600 watts. Once the old horse showed up on TB and the subway series was announced it is all love and chocolates. Army, since you like Ampeg (as do I) you may not like either as they never struck me with that warm, mid range wallop that the Big A delivers. Last weeks outdoor gig was awesome with SVT-IIP tube pre-amp into GK MBF800 power section. Of course it has very little output now (pre-amp) and am hoping it’s just a tube. Just like fast cars and bikes; they only blow after running their very best.

My knowledge on amps is so limited unless it’s one that I’ve had in front of me. Once again, it’s a topic which I’m always amazed at how many others here are familiar  with. Wow… Hungover from last nights show… typing… not easy. To make sentences

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Note: I don’t actually own the Orange Terror Bass yet, but I borrowed a friend’s and tried it with the Hathor and fell in love.  I’m just waiting for a good deal to coincide with my gear allowance 🙂

Okay, found a good price on a used Terror Bass.  Bought it.  Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Note: I don’t actually own the Orange Terror Bass yet, but I borrowed a friend’s and tried it with the Hathor and fell in love. I’m just waiting for a good deal to coincide with my gear allowance 🙂

Okay, found a good price on a used Terror Bass. Bought it. Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.

Very anxious to hear your take on it.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    RAWNCHY R&R
    Participant

Dang. I’m super late to this party.

Top three amps:

Ampeg SVT 8pro

Gallien Kruger Fusion 550

Ampeg V4/V9

Top cabs:

Anything by Baer

(2) Ampeg 410 HE’s

Single Peavey TVX 412

A.K.A – The Magical Luchadore, The Fiddler on the Roof, The Salty Dog, Grits and Gravy...

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

Top three amps:

Ampeg SVT 8pro

Ampeg V4/V9

Top cabs:

Anything by Baer

(2) Ampeg 410 HE’s

Single Peavey TVX 412

How do you like the 8 Pro? Something about having that much Ampeg power in one box (as opposed to me two rigs with Ampeg tube pre’s and big ass amps).  Bonin’, ever get your terror?  Curious if it does loud and reasonably clean. My Doc LLoyd compressor only took 32 days to ship 700 miles since USPS lost it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Bonin’, ever get your terror?  Curious if it does loud and reasonably clean.

Yup!  Love it!  But “clean” needs to be qualified.  It does “clean” just fine, but it can’t really do “flat.”  It has quite a cushion.

My Doc LLoyd compressor only took 32 days to ship 700 miles since USPS lost it.

Jeepers.  You obviously have my sympathy.  My Streamer shipped 50 days ago and is still in L.A.  I hope that you’re finding it worth the wait.

metron

This one sounds good. Really really good. Since I quit my band a few weeks ago, sadly it’s just collecting dust in my garage again.

Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    RAWNCHY R&R
    Participant

Top three amps:

Ampeg SVT 8pro

Ampeg V4/V9

Top cabs:

Anything by Baer

(2) Ampeg 410 HE’s

Single Peavey TVX 412

How do you like the 8 Pro? Something about having that much Ampeg power in one box (as opposed to me two rigs with Ampeg tube pre’s and big ass amps). Bonin’, ever get your terror? Curious if it does loud and reasonably clean. My Doc LLoyd compressor only took 32 days to ship 700 miles since USPS lost it.

Love my 8pro. I used to for two shows and retired it. Not because it isn’t capable but, I would be sick if something were to happen to it. I too have the same Ampeg pre’s and power amps you listed. Love’em all.

The SVP 1600 and SVT 300 are killer power amps and you need no introduction on the Ampeg pre’s. If I had to have one more rack-mounted preamp it would be a Demeter HPB-1. That sucker pulls it’s weight for a unit with a single tube and Jensen DI.

Won the lottery early last year and picked up a Doc Lloyd. It’s been a one and done on my pedalboard and won’t be going anywhere for a while. It beat out the Markbass compressor I had because it used less juice, less space, and was quicker to dial in. If I didn’t have other rack-mounted compressors, I would’ve kept the Markbass for studio use.

A.K.A – The Magical Luchadore, The Fiddler on the Roof, The Salty Dog, Grits and Gravy...

Still4strings
    Participant

This one sounds good. Really really good. Since I quit my band a few weeks ago, sadly it’s just collecting dust in my garage again.

Nice rig!

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

3 users thanked author for this post.
    RAWNCHY R&R
    Participant

Too sexy! Too sexy!!!!!!!!!

Jim C
    Participant

Bonin’, ever get your terror? Curious if it does loud and reasonably clean.

Yup! Love it! But “clean” needs to be qualified. It does “clean” just fine, but it can’t really do “flat.” It has quite a cushion.

My Doc LLoyd compressor only took 32 days to ship 700 miles since USPS lost it.

Jeepers. You obviously have my sympathy. My Streamer shipped 50 days ago and is still in L.A. I hope that you’re finding it worth the wait.

Doc LLoyd is the favorite pedal compressor over  FEA DECL (I thought I wanted studio clean) and the SD Studio Bass. I had a MB compressor but didn’t love it. Using a 2-space rack with a SVP-IIP pre and the power section of a MBF800. Three spaces seemed like too much just so I could use a dbx 160 which I’ve had forever and still like.

Any words to describe the Orange?

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Deep and wooly come to mind.  Both can be dialed back, but never completely   It’s like a Verellen Meatsmoke reigned in a bit,… or a GB Streamliner that just got cut off in traffic.

I like the tube breakup a lot.  I’m particular enough about my distortion that I’ve gotten away from relying on an amp to do it for me, since it’s so hard to find the right flavor and adjustability.  But when I first played though my buddy’s Orange, I was sold.

The trouble is, I haven’t been able to turn it up to a respectable volume because everyone in the building is home all the damn time now.  I think I would appreciate this amp more if I wasn’t fighting it to keep the bass volume within respectable limits.

NSYMCE
    Participant

Just ordering up some 60-80 year old preamp tubes for my amp build today. Doing the eBay lottery for starters, LOL. Four  tubes for eleven bucks, plus shipping. Good times, or sumthin’.

NSYMCE
    Participant

Deep and wooly come to mind. Both can be dialed back, but never completely It’s like a Verellen Meatsmoke reigned in a bit,… or a GB Streamliner that just got cut off in traffic.

I like the tube breakup a lot. I’m particular enough about my distortion that I’ve gotten away from relying on an amp to do it for me, since it’s so hard to find the right flavor and adjustability. But when I first played though my buddy’s Orange, I was sold.

The trouble is, I haven’t been able to turn it up to a respectable volume because everyone in the building is home all the damn time now. I think I would appreciate this amp more if I wasn’t fighting it to keep the bass volume within respectable limits.

I remember hearing one of those amps through the Orange ISO 410 cab at a TB GTG in Boise several years ago. It was pretty cool and unique (and LOUD), and my buddy Duke LeJeune’s wheels were clearly turning as he listened to that rig.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

my buddy Duke LeJeune’s wheels were clearly turning as he listened to that rig.

You’re never gonna fucking believe this:

MVIMG_20200716_151058_compress28

PS: I hope he’s doing okay.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Switches up, plug in, btw.

NSYMCE
    Participant

my buddy Duke LeJeune’s wheels were clearly turning as he listened to that rig.

You’re never gonna fucking believe this:

MVIMG_20200716_151058_compress28<noscript>MVIMG_20200716_151058_compress28</noscript>

PS: I hope he’s doing okay.

Still haven’t heard from him in quite a while, time to try again I guess. He and his family are a great hang, just top shelf humans.

I knew you had that cab though, so I’m not overly surprised to see that. I’ll bet is sounds great, and I’m actually hoping my Thunderchild will work at least OK with the new tube amp. But it has a switch to kill the tweeters completely right at the crossover, and I have a pair of Faital fours in a little homemade top box that I could run with it if I feel like getting jiggy.

NSYMCE
    Participant

Switches up, plug in, btw.

The only Hathor 112 cab I’ve tried was the original prototype and it was crazy popular at the huge Seattle GTG Duke brought it to for beta testing, to the point that I only got a minute or so with it. I know he changed up the whole switching scheme before V1, for sure.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

It’s an absolutely phenomenal cab.  I haven’t found a tube amp I like with it, though.  It tends to resonate around B (on a EADG 4-string).  It did this for the PF-50t, PF-20t, Little Bastard, and Little Stubby.  Only the CTM-15 didn’t seem to have that problem.  Every hybrid or SS amp sounds great through it, though.

The trouble with tube amps led me to Barefaced cabs.

Jim C
    Participant

The trouble with tube amps led me to Barefaced cabs.

I’ve had a number of tube amps although have not tried the Traynor, eh.      IMO, there are only two that matter, V4B or SVT. Everything else is some punk ass wannabe. Yet I continue to look…    Ever try the Ginger pedal?  https://reverb.com/item/26479456-smokin-amp-co-ginger-bass-overdrive-ampeg-sb-12-portaflex

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar