Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    gbrooding
    Participant

My top 3 in order are:

Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine through a Mesa Boogie Diesel 410

Trace Elliot AH350 through a Trace Elliot 1048 H-C

Ampeg PF500 through an Ampeg 410HLF

A man's got to know his limitations....

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

My top 3 in order are:

I always wanted a Carbine. I could never get a straight answer about their tone from the Talkbass gang.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

gbrooding
    Participant

My top 3 in order are:

I always wanted a Carbine. I could never get a straight answer about their tone from the Talkbass gang.

I am terrible at describing tone, but here’s what I can say about it.  It is very punchy, and has a bit of growl, to my ears.  I love the way it sounds!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

My top 3 in order are:

I am terrible at describing tone, but here’s what I can say about it. It is very punchy, and has a bit of growl, to my ears. I love the way it sounds!

That’s likely what I would love… If in fact your description is an accurate representation of what my ears perceive to be the same! lol.

I tend to glamorize amps and seek them out for the wrong reasons. I love aesthetics and so the architecture and color schemes always lure me in. As a result, I was always drawn to Mesa and Trace, because they light up, are my favorite colors, and they simply look cool!

Those two companies have been on my radar for well over a decade, but whenever I get my hands on them, I can never find a tone that I like. In contrast, I think that Markbass is the ugliest crap this side of the Pecos, but some of it sounds stellar.

I love the style and tone of my Ampeg V4b, but its more expensive big brother, the Heritage SVT, is as boring as could possibly be… However, I love the tone so much, that I’ve actually been searching for new cloth for it for a few years, and I’m considering having a custom control plate made.

I’ve also found bliss with my Mesa PH412. It sounds like the hammers of Hell and it’s cooler looking than Darth Vader.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    gbrooding
    Participant

My top 3 in order are:

I am terrible at describing tone, but here’s what I can say about it. It is very punchy, and has a bit of growl, to my ears. I love the way it sounds!

That’s likely what I would love… If in fact your description is an accurate representation of what my ears perceive to be the same! lol.

I tend to glamorize amps and seek them out for the wrong reasons. I love aesthetics and so the architecture and color schemes always lure me in. As a result, I was always drawn to Mesa and Trace, because they light up, are my favorite colors, and they simply look cool!

Those two companies have been on my radar for well over a decade, but whenever I get my hands on them, I can never find a tone that I like. In contrast, I think that Markbass is the ugliest crap this side of the Pecos, but some of it sounds stellar.

I love the style and tone of my Ampeg V4b, but its more expensive big brother, the Heritage SVT, is as boring as could possibly be… However, I love the tone so much, that I’ve actually been searching for new cloth for it for a few years, and I’m considering having a custom control plate made.

I’ve also found bliss with my Mesa PH412. It sounds like the hammers of Hell and it’s cooler looking than Darth Vader.

My Diesel 410 is built like a vault, weighs 138 pounds, and is simply fantastic.  By far my favorite cabinet!20191116_114755

7 users thanked author for this post.
    gbrooding
    Participant

And you are right, the Trace Elliot’s look very cool!20200327_201605

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

My top 3 in order are:

My Diesel 410 is built like a vault, weighs 138 pounds, and is simply fantastic. By far my favorite cabinet!20191116_114755

As you can imagine, the PH412 is built like a tank as well. It’s the most industrial piece of music gear that I’ve ever seen, yet it’s actually quite compact for what it is, and thanks to Mesa trick engineering, it handles like a dream. The thing is darn near 2 inches thick, but the well thought out sliders, handles, and wheels make it a effortless.

I wish I got one of the 410’s before they were discontinued.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

My top 3 in order are:

My Diesel 410 is built like a vault, weighs 138 pounds, and is simply fantastic. By far my favorite cabinet!20191116_114755

Very cool setup, BTW.

... Al Capone

gbrooding
    Participant

Very cool setup, BTW.

Thank you.  Active MusicMan basses sound awesome through that rig!

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

And you are right, the Trace Elliot’s look very cool!20200327_201605

Black and green is about my fave color scheme, plus Steve Harris used Trace pre’s, so I was all over Trace from day one. Unfortunately, by the time I could afford one, it was simply a Peavey, and not a very good one at that.

The cabs were super cool… Celestion speakers, compact, rugged looking… but not as rugged as they looked. I had the 810 Trace cab and the 115×210 Trace cabs. They did sound awesome!

Unfortunately, the head was the flagship AH1200, and it was a turd-grenade. Sounded pretty good, but the tube pre was unusable. It hissed and howled like crazy… and even though I was very close with the top brass at Peavey, they couldn’t clean it up.

... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Very cool setup, BTW.

Thank you. Active MusicMan basses sound awesome through that rig!

Funny that you’re saying that. I’m famous around hear for stating that I hate active EBMM Sting Rays. I had two and they were Ball Family Reserves, but they sounded so thin! However, whenever I tell the story, I always note that the only thing they sounded good through was that noisy Trace, and vice versa.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

... Al Capone

5 users thanked author for this post.
    gbrooding
    Participant

Very cool setup, BTW.

Funny that you’re saying that. I’m famous around hear for stating that I hate active EBMM Sting Rays. I had two and they were Ball Family Reserves, but they sounded so thin! However, whenever I tell the story, I always note that the only thing they sounded good through was that noisy Trace, and vice versa.

I should qualify that to say that I prefer the Sterlings over the Stingrays by a long shot.  I think the Sterlings sound WAAAAY better!

gbrooding
    Participant

<noscript></noscript>

Is that cabinet Peavey era?

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Very cool setup, BTW.

I should qualify that to say that I prefer the Sterlings over the Stingrays by a long shot. I think the Sterlings sound WAAAAY better!

Is there a difference in build or electronics,which accounts for the tone difference, or is it purely “feeling”? One of the other users is a Sterling fan if I’m not mistaken.

My BFR SR HH’s were the most stunning basses that I had ever seen, but they had no gas in the tank.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

<noscript></noscript>

Is that cabinet Peavey era?

Yes

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

On a side note… I know it’s trivial, but I hate it when the expanded steel grilles, arent really expanded steel! They look much better when they are. lol… I like the Mesa’s with grilles over the cloth too.

... Al Capone

gbrooding
    Participant

Is there a difference in build or electronics,which accounts for the tone difference, or is it purely “feeling”? One of the other users is a Sterling fan if I’m not mistaken.

The pickups on the Sterling are different, they are ceramic magnets and series wiring.  The Sterling also has a jazz neck, which I prefer.

Still4strings
    Participant

The pickups on the Sterling are different, they are ceramic magnets and series wiring. The Sterling also has a jazz neck, which I prefer.

My Sterling was identical to yours. It was a great bass and I should have kept it!

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

gbrooding
    Participant

And since this is a G&L forum, I should add that the L-1000 sounds awesome through the rig as well!  20190429_080031

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.