Menu Close

What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum What Are Your Current Top 3 Amps and Cabinets?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster
    • Ampeg V4B with an SVT 212 cab. (My home practice rig, and arguably favorite amp of all time. I have two SVT212 cabs, but I prefer one).
    • Ampeg Heritage SVT CL and Mesa Powerhouse 412. (My studio practice and gig rig and tied for best sounding of all time).
    • markbass SD1200 with and SWR Henry 8×8.

Best sounding amp I’ve ever owned was a V4B that I bought when I was 15 from the local classifieds. Cut a bunch of lawns for that one but it was probably $150 used then. The guy delivered it to my house. Kept that amp for at least 30 years and NEVER changed a tube (all original Magnavox tubes as I recall). Best bass tone I ever got (and I was a recording engineer for many years ; 50 hours a week) was a V4B with a giant ballast resistor on the speaker side with pre amp straight into a Sony console. Just wasn’t enough clean power for an inefficient cabinet. I had it and the SVT-CL at the same time and knew I was taking a step back in tone but wanted the power. I bet I’ve had 20 amps over the last 40 years and I stupidly shipped that jewel to Canada eh’. The one that got away…

Fortunately, the new V4B’s are cheap, built well, and readily available… for now!

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I can hardly wait for Raunchy’s response to his top 3, as it seems he has owned at least 300 amp/cab combos.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Very odd to hear the SWR SM400 come up twice, in such a small group. I have an SWR SM900 and SWR Triad, new in the box still from 1995. I don’t love it.

Would love to play venues that require an SM900 with the Triad!

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

Fortunately, the new V4B’s are cheap, built well, and readily available… for now!

But not with 7027 power tubes. I ASSume there is a difference.  Curious about the Traynor tube gear.  Never had one.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Very odd to hear the SWR SM400 come up twice, in such a small group. I have an SWR SM900 and SWR Triad, new in the box still from 1995. I don’t love it.

My living room has required it several times

... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

But not with 7027 power tubes. I ASSume there is a difference. Curious about the Traynor tube gear. Never had one.

Many many Traynor fans here. I would definitely try one. Especially if it sounds like my Ampegs! lol… I’ve had many tube amps, that as near as I can tell, were built just so that you could say you had tubes. I don’t believe Traynor to be one of those.

... Al Capone

fcleff69

Get one and book a gig in Austin. Bands here will have members with two Ampeg refrigerator rigs, two Orange full stacks playing in a club the size of a janitor closet.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

But not with 7027 power tubes. I ASSume there is a difference.  Curious about the Traynor tube gear.  Never had one.

I got my YBA-200 for $450 from GC, did a taste test, and promptly sold my Ampeg PF-50t and Mesa Prodigy.

Definitely try one if you get the chance!

IMG_20171122_220159

photo

IMG_20171122_205336

IMG-20171124-WA0000

9 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

But not with 7027 power tubes. I ASSume there is a difference. Curious about the Traynor tube gear. Never had one.

I got my YBA-200 for $450 from GC, did a taste test, and promptly sold my Ampeg PF-50t and Mesa Prodigy.

Definitely try one if you get the chance!

IMG_20171122_220159

photo

IMG_20171122_205336

IMG-20171124-WA0000

That’s an awesome pic bro!

... Al Capone

fcleff69

I always assumed you were male and older than that.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

Still4strings
    Participant

Well done.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful.

Looks like a cool kid… has that very “matter of fact” thing going on… Not like the half-assed sand raiders that I’ve seen a few of these guys post.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Ever see cleffs kid?

Kid From Mad Max Road Warrior Blank Template - Imgflip

... Al Capone

dedpool1052

He calls him Powerstance Jr.

Sitting here like uninvited company.
    Some posts may be unofficially sponsored by Wild Turkey 101.

metron

Top 3? Mesa 400+ and a Walkabout at home just because those are what I have. With fancy Bergantino cabinets. I like the 400+ because its so bright it hurts then I run it into a cab without a tweeter for some reason. Its nice.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

Top 3? Mesa 400+ and a Walkabout at home just because those are what I have. With fancy Bergantino cabinets. I like the 400+ because its so bright it hurts then I run it into a cab without a tweeter for some reason. Its nice.

WA was the 2nd best amp I ever owned!  Not enough clean power with inefficient cabs though. I guess I miss that one AND the V4B.  Why do I have to play so damn loud in rock bands? …………………………..                    Oh, I remember now.  It keeps the voices in my head quiet

6 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

Some random DIY Class D shitbox, doesn’t matter which one of the three.

AudioKinesis TC-112AF

Homemade 1515/66/1,  like a more uptown fEARful rig.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

WA was the 2nd best amp I ever owned! Not enough clean power with inefficient cabs though. I guess I miss that one AND the V4B. Why do I have to play so damn loud in rock bands? ………………………….. Oh, I remember now. It keeps the voices in my head quiet

It’s all the drummers fault.

... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Some random DIY Class D shitbox, doesn’t matter which one of the three.

AudioKinesis TC-112AF

Homemade 1515/66/1, like a more uptown fEARful rig.

Okay, so now… I have no more SS stuff, and I suppose that I should. What would be the ultimate, simple, flexible SS amp? I’m not afraid to DIY.

... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar