Menu Close

The Sarcastic, Coffee, Technology, Music, and Movie, Club

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum The Sarcastic, Coffee, Technology, Music, and Movie, Club

Viewing 20 posts - 63,281 through 63,300 (of 73,240 total)
  • Author
    soulman
    Participant

I’ve been watching a few documentaries or videos on guitar again – I mentioned the Greg Koch one upthread, but I’ve also watched a few others:  Keith Urban, Social Distortion/Mike Ness, The Kentucky Headhunters…a remarkable consistency among the others is a Les Paul with P90’s.

Just thought that was interesting.

IMHO had Gibson ever asked Seth Lover to design a noiseless P90 rather than a humbucker the PAF may never have been born.  I’m a huge fan of P90s and Leo’s MFDs which seem to have some P90s DNA in them as well.

They can sing like a chorus of angels or growl like a demon hell hound.  They can sound jazzy, bluesy, get loud and nasty for rock, or dial back the volume and you could almost swear you’re playing an acoustic/electric.

All of my Epiphones have P90s and one of my Teles has a P90 in the neck.  In fact I just bought my one an only dual humbucker guitar about a month ago.  Finally found one I can live with so adding more variety as I age.

What did you get?

I’ve always liked the sound of P90s but the noise kinda sucks with high gain shredder rigs. Love me some Gibson ‘buckers though, especially in the neck position. I like the Fedner Thinline buckers a lot too, except they come in Fedners. As usual, vive la difference.

The one with humbuckers?  It’s a Michael Kelly Patriot.  They’ve been around since 2005 or so and I believe WMIC builds them.  They sold direct for years but got bought out by the same company that bought Sam Ash so now they’re an exclusive brand for them.  Got it from the same store in Florida I bought my M2000 from.  Good quality build, US made pickups.

MKDecree1

Single coil/P90 noise isn’t much of an issue around here and I have an EHX Humdebugger for gigs if needed.  I could never find humbuckers I liked ’til these.  They’re pretty tame as far as output goes so most likely a bit underwound and actually quite transparent.  Both are wired for coil splitting so I often run the neck pickup single coil for riffing and solos and only engage both for heavier rhythm stuff with some dirt.

I’d probably enjoy the old Fender WRHB too but what they build today is not the same as the originals unless you order the CS versions with the CuNiFe magnets which run $400 a set.  Before I’d spend that much I’d be more tempted to buy one of Bill Lawrencs Twin Blade designs like the L90 or L500 and order the more transparent version with lower Henries.  There you’re talking about only $80-$85 each and I love his pickups.

Surely one day my epitaph will read; "Don't mind him. He's just the bassist".

4 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

I buy posters and t-shirts

I still wash my clothes, after each wearing… I’m looking at you, Hef.

Omg!

Where dafuq did you find that?!

Sitting here like uninvited company.

Spidey2112

Omg! Where dafuq did you find that?!

I want a divorce!  You can keep the flamethrower!

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

dedpool1052

Wait…….there was a flamethrower?

Sitting here like uninvited company.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

IMG_20210409_184047342_HDR

IMG_20210409_184054649_HDR

I see Bytor in the first pic, and Snow Dog in the second.

Andyman001
    Participant

Can you send me some of whatever you’re taking?

😛

" I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

I’m especially pissed that cover bands who perform a lot of classic tunes that help keep ’50s, ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s music alive and also keep listeners exposed to and buying it can’t seem to find decent paying gigs any longer.

We’ve got three scheduled for June, July and August.

I have no idea what we’re getting paid, and at this point, I don’t really care.

Glad to hear you’ve got some bookings but I’m longing for the days when three nights meant Thursday, Friday and Sat. all in the same week.   😥

I met my wife on a gig I was roadie-ing for on a thurs- fri- sat gig.

26 years ago. 🙂

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

I wonder whats in the magical reverb box

it’s just echo
    https://youtu.be/CahNAauFgys

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

I’d probably enjoy the old Fender WRHB too but what they build today is not the same as the originals unless you order the CS versions with the CuNiFe magnets which run $400 a set.  Before I’d spend that much I’d be more tempted to buy one of Bill Lawrencs Twin Blade designs like the L90 or L500 and order the more transparent version with lower Henries.  There you’re talking about only $80-$85 each and I love his pickups.

I had an L90 in a guitar for a while and I totally dug it. I might give a Wilde pickup a try in my Heritage, I’ve never really bonded with the Duncan Custom-Custom I’ve had in there for the last several years. Gotta get another guitar amp built first, but hopefully the new tube bass amp will work well enough for a while, which I think it will given an appropriate guitar cab.

soulman
    Participant

I’m longing for the days when three nights meant Thursday, Friday and Sat. all in the same week.

Those days are gone forever, over a long time ago.

Yeah, I miss it too.  I miss setting up at the beach resorts in the summer and playing two solid weeks straight, with Sundays and Mondays off, for the kind of money you can buy a house with.  I miss setting up on a Wednesday or Thursday at a local pub and breaking down after the show on Saturday night.  Those were the days, and they are not coming back.

Well, given my age maybe it’s a good thing they aren’t coming back.  😥

Of course everyone else who came out each weekend to support those clubs where that kind of live music was a featured attraction have all aged too so now if you mention Bob Seger over half the crowd would probably say…..who?

This may be the Golden Age of Guitars but the ’60s-’90s was the Golden Age of Rock ‘n Roll and live bands all over town. It was like our own version of our parents “Swing Era” with the addition of sex and drugs to the rock ‘n roll.  Fond memories.

soulman
    Participant

Glad to hear you’ve got some bookings but I’m longing for the days when three nights meant Thursday, Friday and Sat. all in the same week.

If you can get the Delorean over 88 mph, you’re halfway there.

Hmmmm……could a 2007 Toyota Corolla manage 1.21 Jigawatts @ 88 MPH?

I can probably fit the flux capacitor in my trunk.

Doc-Brown

soulman
    Participant

That’s an angry looking sky.  Your backyard?

soulman
    Participant

I’m especially pissed that cover bands who perform a lot of classic tunes that help keep ’50s, ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s music alive and also keep listeners exposed to and buying it can’t seem to find decent paying gigs any longer.

We’ve got three scheduled for June, July and August.

I have no idea what we’re getting paid, and at this point, I don’t really care.

Glad to hear you’ve got some bookings but I’m longing for the days when three nights meant Thursday, Friday and Sat. all in the same week.   😥

I met my wife on a gig I was roadie-ing for on a thurs- fri- sat gig.

26 years ago. 🙂

That’s a lot of what I meant when I said “fond memories”.

The gigs, the girls (when single), and the natural high of getting a crowd up dancing and partying ’til close.  Good times.   😎

soulman
    Participant

I had an L90 in a guitar for a while and I totally dug it. I might give a Wilde pickup a try in my Heritage, I’ve never really bonded with the Duncan Custom-Custom I’ve had in there for the last several years. Gotta get another guitar amp built first, but hopefully the new tube bass amp will work well enough for a while, which I think it will given an appropriate guitar cab.

I’ve thought about swapping out the Kent Armstrong Rag Top P90 (humbucker size) in one Tele with an L90 but the Rag Top sounds so good I kinda lack the motivation to do it.  I did pair it with a dual blade L-48TL in the bridge though so if I ever decide to make the swap those two would pair well too.

Another Tele has a set of Bill’s Keystones and my PBass has his P46 Split Coil.  My old Jazz Bass had a pair of J45s as well and I took those out before I sold it so I could use them on another JBass if I ever get one.  I’d love to try his Micro-Coils but I don’t own another Tele I could put them in unless I swapped those for the Keystones which some day I may actually do.

What I do love most about Teles is rolling pickups and rewiring them because it’s so damn easy to do and I can get all kinds of different shadings of Tele tonality each guitar just a little different than another including the ASAT where those MFDs take on a whole new tonal dynamic.  They’re like 1/3 Tele, 1/3 P90, and 1/3 Mini-Humbucker or Jazzmaster.

The current project is turning one back into the Nashville Deluxe it once was with a set of custom wound Onamac Tall Blues Tele and Full Blues Strat pickups I’ve been storing for awhile.  Kerry Learned (Onamac Windery) is another guy with a bit of both genius and mad professor to him who winds some really great single coil and P90 pickups.

Can’t find room for any more guitars or basses but it’s easy to store pickups in the parts closet…..haha.

soulman
    Participant

Gotta get another guitar amp built first, but hopefully the new tube bass amp will work well enough for a while, which I think it will given an appropriate guitar cab.

I’ve kinda missed out on the details about this project while I’ve been gone.

What are ya’ building Charlie?

soulman
    Participant

And the very happiest of Saturday mornings to you all.  Coffee’s on which in this case is LEB attempt #1.  Looking to nail the proper beanage at just four cups and expand from there.  Starting light.  Too light for the first one actually.

Spidey2112

I met my wife on a gig I was roadie-ing for on a thurs- fri- sat gig. 26 years ago.

Awesome, Andy and Mrs. Andy!

Spidey2112

That’s an angry looking sky. Your backyard?

Neighbors. I looked out yesterday, and yes, the clouds were pretty ominous.

Spidey2112

Morning, Scroti ®!

6 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

Gotta get another guitar amp built first, but hopefully the new tube bass amp will work well enough for a while, which I think it will given an appropriate guitar cab.

I’ve kinda missed out on the details about this project while I’ve been gone.

What are ya’ building Charlie?

I was gone for quite a while too. It’s currently a 4 X EL34 100 wattter, but it can run 6L6s too and is switchable to 60 watts. Front end is one 12SL7  (just like 6SL7 Ampeg B-15s  use, but cheap and easy to find as NOS) and two 12AU7s. Transformer phase splitter, so definitely not a big Fender, Marshall, or Ampeg vibe. For thisfirst build I used a Hiwatt DR103 output transformer clone, hence the EL34s. Preamp is my own well vetted own design, Frou-frou cosmetics, itis a stay at home build and need to match my natural finish DIY cabs. I had the power amp section up and running for a couple of months, pulled it all back apart last fall, and have been dragging my feet on finishing it up. Now that the weather is decent I’ve been detailing the woodwork and I just need to do a few preamp board tweaks, drill another dozen or so holes, and bolt it all together. Not sure which front panel I’ll start with, we’ll probably burn a few more eventually  anyhow.

PW100B_case1

CASE-Mockup

PW100B_FP_bluestain_2

PW100B_panels

I also have a set of parts for a Vox AC-30 ish build for guitar, switchable to 15 or 8 watts. Ultimately I’d probably want a 200 watter for bass and the 30/15 watter for guitar, I think. I have more of the 100 watt boards and could get to 200 watts a few different ways, but first things first.

Viewing 20 posts - 63,281 through 63,300 (of 73,240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.