Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

The Sarcastic, Coffee, Technology, Music, and Movie, Club

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum The Sarcastic, Coffee, Technology, Music, and Movie, Club

Viewing 20 posts - 50,201 through 50,220 (of 51,579 total)
  • Author
    Still4strings
    Participant

Is it a double pumper?

TWSS

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

3 users thanked author for this post.
    LBS-bass
    Participant

Well take my advice with a grain of salt because I don’t know shit about mixing, but I had a clavinet and it did nothing but honky midrange so to your first point, maybe just let it sit a little more out front where it wants to naturally. Then squash the horn dynamics a bit and bump them up a little from where they are now.

I’m just making this up as I go along so. 😀

I think you have a good ear for all of this.  The clavinet is indeed very mid-rangey and I’ve already put a lot of spin on that track to make it more useable.  But I might need to listen to it a little more and refine it a bit.

https://soundcloud.com/laura-sterner-529078007/so-precious-version-2/s-fZs5T4d0XOV

That’s sounds really good already. And it’s great that you can put something like that together at home the way you have.

I see what you mean about the horns. Like, you wouldn’t want them to be any hotter, but they sound further away than the vox and other instruments.

Yeah, any hotter and it really emphasizes the fact that they aren’t real horns, but the nature of those lines means they have to punch. So… it’s a compromise.

So was all of it an online collaboration?

Yep. Nobody met in person, and both of my collaborators on both versions of “So Precious” were in Europe.  John, who played guitar on “Fall Back” lived in the DC area.

The way it works for me is I write a song, usually by laying down some tracks and chord changes in Logic, and then I bring in some players with good live chops to fill out the arrangement and give the whole things more of a live feel.  So my original demo version of “So Precious” was a lot different, as it had been written around a sample I pulled off of one of John’s guitar tracks and looped, which got taken out along with another part that was prominent in it.  Mark is the guy who decided to put the clavinet, horn and piano parts in there instead, and I’ve got to figure out what sort of credit to give him for that, since Nicolas basically just comped his lines verbatim in many areas.

Since I already had a fully-formed song when I sent it to Mark, I don’t know if I should give Mark an arrangement credit for that, or part of the songwriting; it won’t make any difference since nobody makes any money anyway, but I want to do the proper thing.

Anyway, I just sent them versions without keys and they played along with it, recording stuff in their home studios, and sent things back to me.

The problem I had was that Mark only ever sent me finished mixes that incorporated his work.  He never sent isolated piano, clavinet, and horn parts that I could mix together myself.  Without that, I have no control over what happens to my songs in the future.  I can’t do new mixes, recut any of the vocals, or pull things out to create backing tracks for a live performance, which is something I was recently asked to do.  I wanted to pay Mark but just could never get those things from him; I am not sure why but he kept putting it off.  So I paid Nicolas to recreate it.

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a signature?

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

Welp, I’m a homeowner. Or, more accurately, I am about to move into a house that the bank will likely own until I’m dead.  😆 Onward and upward.

LBS-bass
    Participant

Welp, I’m a homeowner. Or, more accurately, I am about to move into a house that the bank will likely own until I’m dead. 😆 Onward and upward.

Congratulations!

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

<noscript></noscript>

Spidey like.

This bass, blacked out hardware, ebony board, and abalone pentagram fret markers, would be awesome!

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Still4strings
    Participant

Welp, I’m a homeowner. Or, more accurately, I am about to move into a house that the bank will likely own until I’m dead. 😆<noscript>😆</noscript>Onward and upward.

Congratulations!

Thanks, LBS! Can’t wait to be settled in.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    RattFink
    Participant

<noscript><noscript></noscript></noscript>

Is that drum city? I’m actually standing on the other side of that fence. Trying to be as creepy as possible.

I don’t think the picture is real time

G&L Musical Instruments

LBS-bass
    Participant

Mark is the guy who decided to put the clavinet, horn and piano parts in there instead, and I’ve got to figure out what sort of credit to give him for that, since Nicolas basically just comped his lines verbatim in many areas.

The more I think about this, the more I believe an arrangement credit is the proper way to go.  That’s because I wrote the songs and he added parts to them to create an arrangment, which is what an arranger does.

If I give him a writing credit, I think that gives him a right to do additional things with this song, and I’m not wholly comfortable with that.

If anyone here has thoughts or experience to add, let me know.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Mark is the guy who decided to put the clavinet, horn and piano parts in there instead, and I’ve got to figure out what sort of credit to give him for that, since Nicolas basically just comped his lines verbatim in many areas.

The more I think about this, the more I believe an arrangement credit is the proper way to go. That’s because I wrote the songs and he added parts to them to create an arrangment, which is what an arranger does.

If I give him a writing credit, I think that gives him a right to do additional things with this song, and I’m not wholly comfortable with that.

If anyone here has thoughts or experience to add, let me know.

Bonin is a Patton attorney, but unless the guy’s a general, that probably wont help you.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Welp, I’m a home o.

This may never get old. By the way, I like gay people… or carpet munchers, I’m not sure what the politically correct term is.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Welp, I’m a homeowner. Or, more accurately, I am about to move into a house that the bank will likely own until I’m dead. 😆 Onward and upward.

YAY!!!! I can’t wait to get drunk there and then get frisky with the neighbors short-haired muffin terrier

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’m just not a fan of the Lakland HS or bridge… I could get around them, but man, it’s like they stopped trying when it came time to design them. And… it’s crazy that an Indonesian Lakland, costs more than a USA G&L.

... Al Capone

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

There’s a lot of guilt that comes with not doing well when it looks like I should be on top of the world, and when so many people have real struggles.

I could see that, as being why Cobain is no longer here, and it’s why I said “one mans ceiling”. It’s no secret that ratt and I have had some serious trauma in our lives, but that doesn’t deprive anyone their ability to be upset, because they’re not where they wish to be, or because they’re not hitting their mark.

When we talk about us all being “good people”, this is what we’re talking about. What does it really mean to be a good person? A good person could have their world crumbling down around them, be stricken with grief over the loss of loved ones, be in horrible financial despair, and be completely disgusted with their lives, and yet, when your shoelace breaks, they’ll stop their crying and give you one of theirs.

You’re right on target with this, Armya.

I almost never talk about where I came from or the first part of my life… The incessant violence, the suicides that took some of my family away (and why I still can’t look at a shotgun), the serious poverty when we had no heat in the winter, the despair, and the violent beatings that defined my life until I was able to escape, and that’s probably enough said about that. The funny thing is, escape is never fully realized, no matter how much time passes or what my life looks like. And it’s pretty damn good. The darkness is all… Mostly… On the inside. And yeah, I do the mental things I’m supposed to do to stay well. So my ceiling moves sometimes.

Man, I am a fucking bummer! Time to snap out of it and get back to being what passes for “normal”. Thanks for bearing with me, peeps. You guys are the best. My next post will likely be a TWSS.

Still4strings
    Participant

I could get around them

TWSS

Still4strings
    Participant

See??? Lol

Still4strings
    Participant

Okay, chest is cleared, sun is warm, and here we go! The movers are coming tomorrow. I’m moving in the bare essentials tonight. That’s right, toilet paper and champagne 🥂. We gonna celebrate and have a good time.

fcleff69

This bass, blacked out hardware, ebony board, and abalone pentagram fret markers, would be awesome!

Except for that wimp ass-color.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

My next post

TWSS

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

I’m not sure what the politically correct term is.

Dave Chapelle called them “the alphabet people”

Sitting here like uninvited company.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

I’m moving in the bare essentials tonight.

You should dress warmer than that.

😀

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

8 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 50,201 through 50,220 (of 51,579 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.