Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

The Sarcastic, Coffee, Technology, Music, and Movie, Club

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum The Sarcastic, Coffee, Technology, Music, and Movie, Club

Viewing 20 posts - 38,681 through 38,700 (of 53,966 total)
  • Author
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

And don’t forget trying to game the online algorithms!  If you don’t match 3 of 5 keywords, you’re not gonna get selected…and you can’t even do that trick anymore where you put the keywords in the bottom in white print, because sites like Indeed and Ziprecruiter auto-populate your information into their form, so it looks bad to have random keywords at the bottom of your resume.

I had a coder friend/roommate who used to game these systems.  He had a bogus multi-page resume with all the right key words and a real cell phone number but a bogus name.  He’d let all calls go to voice mail.  If he got a message he liked, he would reach out to the company directly to avoid any going through middlemen–he thought could negotiate a higher salary if the company didn’t have to pay a cut to a recruiter, plus he just didn’t want recruiters trying to match him with other jobs he didn’t want.

But one day he got a real clever recruiter.  A woman did a reverse lookup on the cell phone number, got his real name, and called our land line, which was also under his name.  So he answers and now she’s got him by surprise because he wasn’t expecting recruiters calling the land line, a now he’s on the horn pretending to be “Isvar.”  The woman hadn’t read the entire resume in advance and missed a some of the fun nuggets he added as filler around the keywords.  She’s walking through the resume with him and when she gets to the part about fecal-throwing monkeys (a nod to primate research I was doing at the time) she realizes she’s been had and hangs up on him.  That was good for a laugh!

Mktrat
    Keymaster

Hey, where’d we land on the opinions about Mellow Corn whiskey?

Don’t think I’ve ever tried it.

Got any examples?

https://flaviar.com/heaven-hill/mellow-corn

It’s a brand name, bottled by Heaven Hill, and aged in used bourbon barrels. It isn’t a bourbon itself, as it’s aged in second-use barrels, but it adheres to the definitions of “bourbon” apart from that. It’s like $15 around here (for reference, a Jim or Jack are around $24).

I thought it tasted turrible and will not buy it again, but I got severely cobbed by Reddit for expressing my opinions.

Is that the stuff that tastes like gasoline?
    I think I have tried that before.

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

3 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

It’s like $15 around here (for reference, a Jim or Jack are around $24).

Anyone who CAN charge more than $15/fifth, DOES.   🙂

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Hey, where’d we land on the opinions about Mellow Corn whiskey?

Don’t think I’ve ever tried it.

Got any examples?

https://flaviar.com/heaven-hill/mellow-corn

It’s a brand name, bottled by Heaven Hill, and aged in used bourbon barrels. It isn’t a bourbon itself, as it’s aged in second-use barrels, but it adheres to the definitions of “bourbon” apart from that. It’s like $15 around here (for reference, a Jim or Jack are around $24).

I thought it tasted turrible and will not buy it again, but I got severely cobbed by Reddit for expressing my opinions.

I’ve never heard of it, but as you know, I’m a huge fan and advocate for Heaven Hill. Their black and gold label stuff is the best of the best, and it’s super cheap.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Knuckleduster
    Participant

Is that the stuff that tastes like gasoline? I think I have tried that before.

THAT’S WHAT I SAID!!!!  It’s apparently the hot ticket on Reddit’s whiskey subreddits as “it’s so sweet,” and “really demonstrates the flavor of a corn-forward whiskey.”  I bought a fifth to make some cocktail gift jars for Christmas, and I had to double the amount of simple syrup in the recipes to make it remotely palatable.  I’ve got pretty crappy taste in whiskey, I’m not gonna lie, and I coughed my way through choking down a shot of Mellow Corn.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

corn-forward whiskey

I think it goes without saying that corn forward is how I approach everything

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

In fact, when the corn is behind you, you’ve really found yourself in a bad position.

... Al Capone

Spidey2112

… I coughed my way through choking down a shot of Mellow Corn.

“As the day is long, so is the gag point of life’s cob insertion.”

Confunkalicious has spoken.

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Kriegs
    Participant

Here’s one of the tracks from our 2015 industrial metal project, Skullkrusher.  You get to hear my more metal vocals on this one.  My bass and guitar are heavily compressed, distorted, flanged, etc.  We were trying to get as ‘machine sounding’ on this one as we could.

Peace.

WaginDingbat
    Participant

The cinematography was great.

❓ Not sure if that means you liked the picture better than the music? 😆 ❓

It’s a really old joke from some sitcom my parents watched when I was growing up. (Maybe Murphy Brown?)

Within the group of main characters they had seen a mutual friends movie premier and were all discussing it afterwords. They were all trying to come up with different comments regarding the film. One couldn’t remember what he was supposed to say, and instead stole another persons comment “The cinematography was great.” It was a forgettable scene for sure, but for some reason has stuck with me for YEARS!!

It amuses me to say that when I don’t want to just simply say the same thing everyone else has already commented.

So yeah, I didn’t really think it through. NOBODY is gonna understand that joke, unless I explain it.

Sorry for the confusion.

BTW….. thanks for the deets on the setup. Very interesting.

That reminds me of a scene from MTM in S01 E08 where he teaches these folk how to use….. stairs… “Its Easy”

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH1anSolNEo&w=1280&h=1024%5D

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

“really demonstrates the flavor of a corn-forward whiskey.”

Also more commonly known as Ethanol.

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

4 users thanked author for this post.
    WaginDingbat
    Participant

I’m making these up if anyone needs one. They should keep your balls from getting the Corona on them.

Image may contain: one or more people<noscript>Image may contain: one or more people<noscript>&lt;img class=”spotlight” src=”https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/88166300_819095855270333_7245026249670656000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&amp;amp;_nc_sid=1480c5&amp;amp;_nc_ohc=KqLRxDqLDHIAX9ZVw-4&amp;amp;_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&amp;amp;oh=f0ba05ee29519ecb50259ff00899470a&amp;amp;oe=5E91817C&#8221; alt=”Image may contain: one or more people” /&gt;</noscript></noscript>

New, from Ronco! The… Sacajawea.

Now that’s a Nut Sack

3 users thanked author for this post.
    WaginDingbat
    Participant

metron
    Participant

A bit of a rant… yes, I’m sure it’s been said before but MAN, I’m so fuggin’ SICK of people saying stuff like “I want an amp that sounds like [insert popular amp name here… ok… it’s really about Ampeg and Mesa] but I don’t want to spend that much on a head” and then they proceed to offer this long diatribe on how ridiculous it is to pay for an Ampeg or Mesa head when they can get the same sound by:

1. Finding some obscure model of some old SS head
    2. Routing the signal from that head into the effects return of some other, equally obscure and impossible to find, head
    3. Using just the speaker portion of some crap combo that happens to have a good speaker
    4. Daisy chaining that into some impossibly heavy, janky and otherwise useless folded horn cab from 1968
    5. Putting an array of arcane, impossibly expensive boutique pedals in front of said amp rig
    6. Playing their $125 frankenSquier that they completely redid the electronics on, from scratch, by hand, with whatever they had laying around on their bench through said rig

So, they DIDN’T have to spend $900 on a used SVT head and $400 on a used 8×10.

BUT they DID spend a lifetime of hoarding pieces and parts, hours and hours of trial and error, WAY more than $1300 on pedals, cables, etc.

And what do they get for it?

Something that might, on a good day, be mistaken for the sound of an Ampeg SVT if the listener was driving by the venue in a car going 50 mph, with the windows down and the stereo cranking old Molly Hatchet.

Rant over… carry on.

I agree. You’ve all often heard of my 35 year quest to sound like a P through an SVT, without actually buying one. 50 basses, 25 amps, $30k… I would kick my own ass if I wasn’t so afraid that I’d land on my SVT and P bass.

And Kriegs has grown weary of your quest. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was 70 basses 40 amps and $43,652 over 36 years?

I did the same thing in a way. I just didn’t know I needed a 400+ until sort of recently. I might have gone through 15+ amps to get to where I am now. Maybe 25-30 basses. I will not think about money wasted, I will just learn from my mistakes. 😐

😆

6 users thanked author for this post.
    WaginDingbat
    Participant

A bit of a rant… yes, I’m sure it’s been said before but MAN, I’m so fuggin’ SICK of people saying stuff like “I want an amp that sounds like [insert popular amp name here… ok… it’s really about Ampeg and Mesa] but I don’t want to spend that much on a head” and then they proceed to offer this long diatribe on how ridiculous it is to pay for an Ampeg or Mesa head when they can get the same sound by:

1. Finding some obscure model of some old SS head
    2. Routing the signal from that head into the effects return of some other, equally obscure and impossible to find, head
    3. Using just the speaker portion of some crap combo that happens to have a good speaker
    4. Daisy chaining that into some impossibly heavy, janky and otherwise useless folded horn cab from 1968
    5. Putting an array of arcane, impossibly expensive boutique pedals in front of said amp rig
    6. Playing their $125 frankenSquier that they completely redid the electronics on, from scratch, by hand, with whatever they had laying around on their bench through said rig

So, they DIDN’T have to spend $900 on a used SVT head and $400 on a used 8×10.

BUT they DID spend a lifetime of hoarding pieces and parts, hours and hours of trial and error, WAY more than $1300 on pedals, cables, etc.

And what do they get for it?

Something that might, on a good day, be mistaken for the sound of an Ampeg SVT if the listener was driving by the venue in a car going 50 mph, with the windows down and the stereo cranking old Molly Hatchet.

Rant over… carry on.

No Shit.   Lets do it the hard way then……

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

No Shit. Lets do it the hard way then……

Ah. So you should ask about it in the G&L Quality thread then. Everything in there is dry fit and then subjected to heat.

... Al Capone

Kriegs
    Participant

And Kriegs has grown weary of your quest.

Pfft!  Kriegs is worried about his own friggin issues!

This is just the last 3 years of equipment spending, no kidding  😐

1-10

Peace.

Andyman001
    Participant

Also more commonly known as Ethanol.

I lol’d at that!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

fcleff69

Quality content.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

fcleff69

Now I want and SVT and an 810.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

7 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 38,681 through 38,700 (of 53,966 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.