Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

The Passinwind Open Source Onboard Preamp

Home Forums Tech Forum The Passinwind Open Source Onboard Preamp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    NSYMCE
    Participant

For starters this will serve as a mirror link for the long Talkbass thread and Wiki, hopefully it can bring some new eyes to SCTMMC that way.

The basic premise is a “filter” style preamp for DIY’ers, at a fraction of the cost of the Alembic, Wal, and ACG ones. There’s a bill of materials link for nearly one stop shopping at Mouser, and another for the printed circuit boards at cost via a board share at OSHpark. This is a nonprofit labor of love, I don’t make a cent off any of it.

TB Wiki link: https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/pw3b-lpf-open-source-onboard-preamp/

And a direct link to the orginal thread with various graphs and technical discussion: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/the-passinwind-open-source-preamp.1259692

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Cool! I’ve been wanting to build a preamp pedal forever, especially one with parallel outputs, so that I can run into my Sony PlayStation and my Ampeg.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

Cool! I’ve been wanting to build a preamp pedal forever, especially one with parallel outputs, so that I can run into my Sony PlayStation and my Ampeg.

I’ve been comtemplating doing a pedal kit or two, this might be a good one to start with.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

This is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’ve been comtemplating doing a pedal kit or two, this might be a good one to start with.

I’m thinking that with all of the shift toward youtube, hanging on the couch with you bass, and the ability to run it through your tv/ gaming system, but with the ability to also run an amp (in case any latency issues arise), would be neat. I’m enjoying that game I got, but it’s too un-natural sounding for a pro hack like myslef.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Jeff Preston
    Participant

I read several pages into the TB thread and it sounds like this is primarily for active basses. Does it work well with passive?

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

NSYMCE
    Participant

I read several pages into the TB thread and it sounds like this is primarily for active basses. Does it work well with passive?

It’s an onboard preamp, so by default your bass will be active if you use it. You can install a standard issue bypass switch no problem though. Like most preamps, either active pickups or the far more common passive ones will work fine with it. Most active basses use passive pickups into a separate preamp, probably 95+%.

If you use it in a stomp box it actually works more optimally with passive basses unless you do a few simple mods. I’m planning on doing a dedicated pedal version eventually, FWIW.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

</p>

<p style=”text-align: left;”>It’s an onboard preamp, so by default your bass will be active if you use it. You can install a standard issue bypass switch no problem though. Like most preamps, either active pickups or the far more common passive ones will work fine with it. Most active basses use passive pickups into a separate preamp, probably 95+%.

If you use it in a stomp box it actually works more optimally with passive basses unless you do a few simple mods. I’m planning on doing a dedicated pedal version eventually, FWIW.

I was thinking the stomp box variety rather than onboard.</p>

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

Here’s a NAMM 2020 demo featuring one of my other onboard preamp designs:

Format for that one is active bass and mids (boost and cut), plus regular passive tone that works in both bypassed and active modes.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.