Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

The Lemon Thread, a Division of Gibson Sucks

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum The Lemon Thread, a Division of Gibson Sucks

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

“Hello faceless customer that we don’t care about,

Good to hear! Thank you for your patronage. Grab a thick cob on your way out.

Sincerely,”

lol. Ed Zacharia!

For the record:

• Gibson Explorer
    • Epiphone Explorer
    • Ibanez Destroyer
    • Fernandes Function
    • Hondo Explorer
    • Aria Pro ZZ

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Here’s the problem with the old ones and the “trust” issue…

This one is $700, and although it’s not mentioned, it was hacked, filled, and moded.

https://reverb.com/item/4625520-aria-pro-ii-zzb-deluxe-bass-1983-black

This one says “excellent” but you can see rust on the hardware…

https://reverb.com/item/28504764-aria-1980-s-pro-ii-zz-bass-deluxe-black?bk=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiJmOTBjYmExYy01MmRlLTRlNGEtYmE5ZS1lOWU1YjQzZjAwNGMiLCJpYXQiOjE1ODYyMDEzNDUsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiIiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiZGMwM2I5NjMtMmFjMS00N2VkLWIwOTYtODIwZjcwZWM1NmNjIiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6IjI4NTA0NzY0In0.NmRE3BKP74zwDBzAr3UGuBnpmUI4qrUdBCBt_WmhEUk

This one is very bad pictures…

https://reverb.com/item/3140415-aria-pro-ii-zz-custom-bass-1984-amber-red

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    metron
    Participant

I like an SG. That’s about it.

I still like my SG and I didn’t have any opinion on Gibson when I bought it. As a company, they do seem kind of gross now. At least part of it is that guy from Normans.

RattFink
    Participant

I seem to recall having a very slimier experience with a G&L a few months back

Yep… No one is immune to it… Or are they? I can’t say that I’ve ever seen a poor Ibanez, Schecter, or ESP. So, it’s definitely possible.

I have a friend at ESP.  He says the get kickbacks from Sweetwaters QC all the time.  According to him Sweetwater and DCGL have the toughest QC in the business.  All manufactures have troubles from time to time.  So long as the problems don’t become a part of the culture of that company, as it seems to have happend at Gibson

G&L Musical Instruments

metron
    Participant

My experience with Gibson is as follows:

Holy cripe man! I don’t know squat about Gibson or Epi basses, but they seem pretty cool. I wanted a T-Bird once for a minute.

Dude just get a Wishbass and call it a day. No one will ever be able to tell the difference.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant

I seem to recall having a very slimier experience with a G&L a few months back

I wish for all the world G&L would refuse to build those FSR basses for MF and GC.  They are in no way representative of more typical Tribute standards and they only hurt G&L rep in the long run.

If those were truly ordinary Tribby’s the price would be a great deal but they’re not and therefore the whole things just seems deceptive to me.  Maybe their recent alignment with Sweetwater will allow them to rethink that part of their product line.

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

3 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant
    This was my email to Gibson:
    I’ve been playing and collecting bass guitars since 1983, and some of my favorites have been Epiphones. I was looking for a bass to tinker with, so I bought a Korina Explorer. I don’t know what happened to Epiphone since I did business with them last, but the fit and finish on this bass is horrible. The fret board is chewed up, the strings were a disaster, and the bridge is on crooked. Despite the QC sticker, there’s no way this bass was QC’d. I’ve never had any luck with Gibson customer service either, which is why I got away from them in the first place, but since I’m likely just going to return this, I thought I’d let you know.
    This was Gibsons response:
    Hello Jim,
    Sorry to hear that. Keep in mind, we have a limited-lifetime warranty that protects owners from factory defects if they arise. Thanks for letting us know.

Sincerely,

signature_1366119750<noscript>signature_1366119750</noscript> Jordan Hall

Customer Service

Gibson Brands, Inc.

1-800-4GIBSON

http://www.gibson.com

In other words;

Dear Jim,

Sorry for your problems but if the Federal Government isn’t required to admit fault and accept responsibility for it’s phuc ups why would you expect Gibson to?  Please vote for us this fall….I mean hopefully you’ll buy another Epiphone product and it won’t be quite as shitty as that one.  We very much appreciate your brand loyalty.

Sam Sapsucker, VP of Corporate Spin

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

dedpool1052

If we’re just talking tone, then I already own 4 basses that I spent a life time finding sonic-bliss in,

I’m certain it wouldn’t be your thing.

However, the only point I would argue (not even argue, really) is that the love of the thunderbird sound, is basically two categories.

Those that love the original ’60s basses,

And those that love the ’80s & onward TB+ pickups (even though there’s been variations over the years)

The Mike Lull T-bass pickups I have in my Fender, are based on ’60s pickups.

They have a big, full tone, with a rounded/slightly muted high end.

They sound best when set closer to the strings, and get a nice, natural overdrive when pushed.

The closest thing I’ve heard, is my Wunkays in parallel/series.

The only thing missing, compared to the MFDs, is they don’t quite have the range/clarity.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Wishbass

Well, never heard of Wishbass, but I just had a very cool 30 minute conv with the owner. SUPER COOL GUY! Might be the way to go.

... Al Capone

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Well, never heard of Wishbass, but I just had a very cool 30 minute conv with the owner. SUPER COOL GUY! Might be the way to go.

Wait, really?

Mktrat
    Keymaster

Wishbass

I think Steve is an awesome human, however, his QC is less than stellar.  Great guy, cool designs, and great bones to his builds.   But definitely a DIY situation.  Nothing that can’t be fixed, just not an out of the box, turn key type solution.

Ok, that’s my piece.  I loved my wish 6 string. My left hand didn’t.  And since carpal tunnel can ruin a bassists fun, I reluctantly sold it.

B6818FCA-3507-4121-940D-CC917AA574BA

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

And for the record, I would like to take a t-bird and drop some mfd’s into it.

Just saying…..

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?

7 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

And for the record, I would like to take a t-bird and drop some mfd’s into it.

Just saying…..

A couple of MFDs in a T-Bird would make it a BMF.

soulman
    Participant

Wishbass

Is wish bass like a wish sandwich but instead of wishing for a slice of meat you have a body and a neck and wish you had some strings and a pickup?   :mrgreen:

Mktrat
    Keymaster

SCRATCHY POTS!!!!

Still4strings
    Participant

Because.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Wait, really?

Really what? That I never heard of them or that I just spoke in depth with the owner? Both are true.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I think Steve is an awesome human, however, his QC is less than stellar. Great guy, cool designs, and great bones to his builds. But definitely a DIY situation. Nothing that can’t be fixed, just not an out of the box, turn key type solution.

Well, I agree that he’s awesome, and I’m sure that he’d be the 1st to tell anyone that his stuff was DIY, to an extent, and would require tweaking. He told me as much on the phone.

Assuming that’s true, by my match, I’d say that puts him on par with Gibson, Epiphone, and G&L so far.

BTW… I gave him links to our forum, so he may drop in.

... Al Capone

dedpool1052

Because.

Cool. I’m not the only one who was thinking it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Really what? That I never heard of them or that I just spoke in depth with the owner? Both are true.

Funny.  I’m equally surprised that you’d never heard of them AND that you reached out to the owner.  But I’m glad you guys had a nice chat.

There are a lot of lefty Wishbasses floating around, and from time to time they inspire amusing discussions.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.