Menu Close

The Lemon Thread, a Division of Gibson Sucks

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum The Lemon Thread, a Division of Gibson Sucks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Other than one or two of us ever liking Thunderbird basses… I’ve never heard any musician talk nice about Gibson. In fact, even my guitar player friends, whom are hard-core SG or Les Paul players, seem to hate Gibson.

My experience with Gibson is as follows:

My first “favorite bass” was the Gibson Explorer. I can remember the precise moment in time that my drummer and I discussed the matter. It was 1983, the year that I started playing the bass. It took another 25 years and as many basses before I could find and afford one, and unfortunately, I found their tone lackluster.

However, I did find their build quality exceptional, so for about 4 years, I played Epiphone Thunderbirds and Explorers… Heck, at that time, I didn’t really know good tone anyway. Then I remember the Thunderbird Pro came out, and I anxiously awaited it hitting the stores. When it did, it was a total let down. All of the sturdy features and attention to detail that I had come to know from Epiphone, were gone. And… Its “pro” electronics were noisy and STILL sounded about as flavorful as unscented quaker oats.

So of course, I returned it, but not before first calling Gibson to find out what happened. THEY WERE COMPLETE DICKS!!!!!!!! So I asked around, “what’s the deal with Gibson”, and the response I got was “when your instruments are in the hands of the most famous musicians in the world, you don’t have to give a shit about customers”. That’s exactly how they made me feel, so I instantly sold my four Epiphone Explorers and Thunderbirds, and I never looked back.

As the years went by, I continued to hate Gibson. Along the way, I found some counterfeit Fender products, and I reported them to my beloved Fender, but they could’ve cared less, so I learned that they were no better… After all, leaving “known counterfeit” inferior products on the market, is the equivalent of speed-fucking your customers ass with dry dowel.

Then, one of my favorite guitar manufactures of all time, was sued out of business by Gibson for copyright infringement, which while possibly an honorable act, seemed to be being selectively enforced. So… They sued all of the American Small businesses, but they left the Giants like ESP and Ibanez to continue stealing.

Regardless of your take on it… Gibsons grounds were that they only wanted Gibson quality out there.

Turn the clock to today; and as you all know, I’ve been wanting to build an Explorer/ Destroyer for several months. There are many out there from the 80’s, but none of the sellers “accurately” describe the instrument, especially the neck and frets, and all of the pictures suck!!!! leading me to believe that they were largely owned by hair-metal fucktards, who abused them relentlessly… but of course, they ALL still (Goddamn FUCKING ALL) expect to get “vintage Gibson” prices for them.

So, with NO (zero) new Explorers/ Detroyers available anywhere, the logical choice was to buy a new Epiphone Korina Explorer, and then re-route the body for a split coil, swap the bridge, paint it, and make a new PG. So, based on my past experience with Epiphone quality, I was 100% confident. I spent $550 and the bass came Thursday.

What a complete pile of SHIT!!! Inside a sealed box from Epiphone (which boldly exclaimed their quality commitment to musicians):

20200403_083051

The strings were all tangled and undone, the fret board was chewed up, the bridge was on crooked/ skewed .125″, causing the strings below the 12th fret to ride off the fret board. I laughed, because I guess that I expected as much. But… let’s plug it in shal we? After all, my amplifiers are now considerably better than they were 12 years ago… So I warmed up the tubes, and yeah… nope… Gibsons still sound like unseasoned, farm grade, sod clippings.

How the fuck can so many knobs, pups, and switches, not provide one single nice sound?

Anyway, a quick call to American Musical (whom I now also have a problem with), and they offered to take $35 off. Lol… or lolololololololololo. Yes, I was going to chop it anyway, but this is a new bass, which Gibson presumed was going to some kid, as their 1st bass, after saving for 3 years to buy it… And Gibson had every intention of running across the room, at an Olympic pace, and cramming an ornamental corn right in that kids ass. Would they pull this with Tony Iommi, Slash, Angus, or Jimmy Page? If not, then yes, Gibson likes fucking little kids.

A new bridge placement and setup from a qualified tech would cost over $150, so who is AMS kidding with $35? And what right does Gibson have to sue their competitors over quality concerns? Yes (I know)… it’s their design, but if they won’t make it to their own standards, then they shouldn’t be allowed to make it either. Gibson is implying and advertising on the box and instrument, that they make quality instruments which are “QC’d”, but that’s a blatant lie.

And… On a side note… AMS requested that I fill out a survey for their website, in order to receive a $100 credit. That credit is for $100 worth of magazines, which require a credit card to get, because they auto renew. And as for the AMS “interest free” payment plans… Well, they’re charging you $15 to get a payment plan, so yeah, maybe it’s interest free, but it’s certainly not ass-fuck free!!

20200402_194409
    20200402_194423
    20200402_194440
    20200403_083236
    20200403_083624
    20200403_083641
    20200403_083734
    20200403_083747

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Attachments:
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I want a 335.

Oh, what’s this?????

https://heritageguitars.com/pages/h-535

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I want a 335.

Oh, what’s this?????

https://heritageguitars.com/pages/h-535

What the bloop?

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

soulman
    Participant

Well…..first let me say that never again will I accept any shit for posting at length on any topic including my next haircut whenever that may be.  Some topics require more thoroughness and detail.  This is one of those cases.

First of all I’m kinda shocked that bass ever passed an inspection at Epi’s China facility unless of course it wasn’t built by the Epi crew in Qingdao.  I suppose that’s possible because some models are contracted out.  Typically the Qingdao production is first rate.  Better in many cases than Gibson’s US production.  Anyway, there is no excuse for what you got.

As for Gibson or Epi basses in general though I’ve previously owned two in another lifetime neither lasted very long and that’s pretty much all there is to that story.  Their Ripper Bass was well liked but by then I wanted nothing to do with any Gibson bass.  I’ve always though of them as being a “me too” product just to have something to offer in competition with Fender.  Even the TBirds I tried out held no interest for me.  They were all beastly heavy and uncomfortable to play.  IMHO Gibby has never paid much attention to ergonomics.

To be honest Amy I would just ship that bass back to AMS and have them ship out a replacement.  If that one also turns out to be a POS then move on.  The product just isn’t up to snuff.  Even Cleffie didn’t keep buying Kia Souls after getting hosed by the first one.

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

5 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant

And in other news SCTMMC now has IT’S very first Gibson Sucks thread.   😆

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/prs-singlecut-594-cb-charcoal-burst-pattern-vintage-neck

My preference to the Gibson quality offering.

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Well…..first let me say that never again will I accept any shit for posting at length on any topic including my next haircut whenever that may be. Some topics require more thoroughness and detail. This is one of those cases.

You can hardly compare my informative (albeit opinionated) introduction to a new thread, with one of your Britannica’s on Trumps hairdo.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/prs-singlecut-594-cb-charcoal-burst-pattern-vintage-neck

My preference to the Gibson quality offering.

I didn’t know that Gibson owned PRS. However, after reading this, I’m even more alarmed. Not one guy on this page has been with Gibson for any length of time, and all of their backgrounds are corporate officers… No George or Leo here.

But perhaps most disturbing, and in my case enlightening, is the CEO of Gibson, just came from Levis Strauss. As most of you may recall, I just wrapped up a 4-year battle with them over false advertising last year. Because; their claim that their jeans are the toughest in American history, when in fact they’re Mexican jeans which fall apart in the washing machine, was bogus.

So now I see where Epiphones boast of performance comes from.

https://www.gibson.com/About-Us

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

To be honest Amy I would just ship that bass back to AMS and have them ship out a replacement. If that one also turns out to be a POS then move on. The product just isn’t up to snuff. Even Cleffie didn’t keep buying Kia Souls after getting hosed by the first one.

But wouldn’t I just be asking for headaches then? Sarcasm aside, I could simply continue on with this bass… Route, paint, slap on a new Hipshot bridge, which was my plan anyway… But…

1. That won’t help all of the other customers who are getting stuck with these things, including many first-time musicians, whom might give up playing because their instruments played and sounded poorly. We all know how much more we play when we sound and feel good, this is the opposite.
    2. If they say that bass was QC’d, but it wasn’t, how am I supposed to know what else is wrong with it? Set neck isn’t something to mess with, and if the router and gluer were no more talented than the driller, I’m screwed. I could never return it if it had a truss rod issue or anything!

It’s like Talkbass and this place… You can go there and maybe find some friends, or come here and know that you will.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

As for why I started this thread… My Explorer quest is not over, and after wasting 2 months searching and coming up empty handed, I wanted to start searching the crevices for info, and this is how you do it. I’m still searching daily.

... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

Bro, if you want an explorer type bass, go with your tried and true Aria?

https://reverb.com/item/6895944-aria-pro-ii-zzb-deluxe-explorer-bass-blue-burst-mij-1983

No need to mod, the pickups are basically splits.

Sitting here like uninvited company.
    Some posts may be unofficially sponsored by Wild Turkey 101.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

https://reverb.com/item/6895944-aria-pro-ii-zzb-deluxe-explorer-bass-blue-burst-mij-1983

Phuc’n A right!!

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

soulman
    Participant

Well…..first let me say that never again will I accept any shit for posting at length on any topic including my next haircut whenever that may be. Some topics require more thoroughness and detail. This is one of those cases.

You can hardly compare my informative (albeit opinionated) introduction to a new thread, with one of your Britannica’s on Trumps hairdo.

Trump’s hairdo is the least of my concerns.  It’s the empty space under it that bothers me.

soulman
    Participant

To be honest Amy I would just ship that bass back to AMS and have them ship out a replacement. If that one also turns out to be a POS then move on. The product just isn’t up to snuff. Even Cleffie didn’t keep buying Kia Souls after getting hosed by the first one.

But wouldn’t I just be asking for headaches then? Sarcasm aside, I could simply continue on with this bass… Route, paint, slap on a new Hipshot bridge, which was my plan anyway… But…

1. That won’t help all of the other customers who are getting stuck with these things, including many first-time musicians, whom might give up playing because their instruments played and sounded poorly. We all know how much more we play when we sound and feel good, this is the opposite.
    2. If they say that bass was QC’d, but it wasn’t, how am I supposed to know what else is wrong with it? Set neck isn’t something to mess with, and if the router and gluer were no more talented than the driller, I’m screwed. I could never return it if it had a truss rod issue or anything!

It’s like Talkbass and this place… You can go there and maybe find some friends, or come here and know that you will.

Well then you should just do whatever you like.

Pay no attention to me.  I’ll just sit here in my corner and read, all alone, in the dark, without my glasses.  But I’ll be fine.  Just carry on with whatever….. 😥

fcleff69

I like an SG. That’s about it.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

fcleff69

But why this thread? We really only need one thread. Okay, two threads, because Stewart needs a safe space. Okay, three threads, because the food thread is cool.

But this thread sucks.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Bro… We’re on the identical page… I’m just super worried about fret wear. they’re all from 82-85. But it’s likely what I’ll wind up with.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

But this thread sucks

Not unlike your mouth on my nut sack. There’s a thread because Gibson sucks and I don’t want any more kids to be fucked by them. lol

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I like an SG. That’s about it.

And a 14 year old Asian boy.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

But why this thread? We really only need one thread. Okay, two threads, because Stewart needs a safe space. Okay, three threads, because the food thread is cool.

But this thread sucks.

And you can suck my tortellini

... Al Capone

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar