Menu Close

The Asylum : A safe haven for tinfoil mad-hatters and politic’n

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum The Asylum : A safe haven for tinfoil mad-hatters and politic’n

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    soulman
    Participant

I tried to move a political post into the political thread but something went wrong and now it’s gone. Wouldn’t you know that this post belonged to Soulie. Sorry bro. I kind of suck at my job, except when I don’t.

And since I was only responding to quote a post Amy made you can go fuck yourself too.

You’re gonna find yourself busy moving a whole lot of posts from now on.  I’m done playing by the rules you decide to make up to suit your own needs.  You started this battle back in December so let’s continue it.

Thu, Apr 23 at 9:34 AM
    Trump’s immigration ban won’t help fight COVID-19

Steve Chapman
    Over the past three years, I have spent a lot of time in hospitals supporting close relatives with serious medical conditions. I’ve been there many mornings, afternoons and evenings, interacting with doctors, nurses and other personnel. And I’ve often wondered: Where would hospital patients be without immigrants?
    Many of the people on the front lines of the battle against the coronavirus came here from other countries. A 2018 study found that 29% of physicians were born abroad and 7% are not U.S. citizens. For registered nurses, the figures are 16% and 3%. There is no telling how many hospital kitchen workers, information technology staff and maintenance employees — all crucial to operations — are also foreign-born.
    If you find yourself in the hospital with COVID-19, chances are very good that you’ll get care and help from immigrants. You may end up owing your life to one. Some of them likely will die of the disease.
    But in the midst of the worst public health crisis in decades, President Donald Trump has repaid this group with an insulting policy. On Monday, he tweeted that he would suspend legal immigration, ostensibly to combat the virus and save American jobs. On Wednesday, he signed an executive order to that effect, though without disclosing the details. Trump brings to mind what the 18th-century English writer Samuel Johnson remarked: “Gratitude is the fruit of great cultivation; you do not find it among gross people.”
    Ingratitude is just one of the qualities his policy reveals. Also at work are incompetence and intolerance. Immigration didn’t cause the pandemic, and shutting it down won’t prevent infections. What it will do is feed blind resentment of foreigners, to our own detriment as well as theirs.
    The nation’s medical facilities could use more foreigners right now. New Jersey has acted to grant temporary licenses to doctors who are licensed in other countries; New York has done the same for medical professionals working in Canada.
    The president’s order reportedly will exempt medical workers. But what good does that do for those already here who are trying to bring over family members, who might help them manage during this public health emergency? His policy also sends an inhospitable message to any health professional who might think of coming.
    Trump’s own State Department understands the need. A couple of weeks ago, it invited foreign medical professionals who have immigrant or nonimmigrant visa applications — “particularly those working to treat or mitigate the effects of COVID-19” — to contact our embassies for emergency processing.
    When his interests are at stake, Trump is capable of grasping the value of immigrants. He’s hired a lot of foreign guest workers at his Mar-a-Lago resort and other properties. His order reportedly will exempt seasonal farmworkers, an essential part of the economy in many red states.
    But there is no reason to think barring immigrants would help curb the outbreak. A review of research on the topic by David Bier, an immigration analyst at the libertarian Cato Institute, concludes that the data show “no benefit to international travel restrictions once an outbreak has already become an epidemic inside the destination country.”

His colleague Alex Nowrasteh has found that counties with more immigrants have no more coronavirus cases or deaths than comparable counties with fewer immigrants. The crucial variable is population density.

Trump, remember, hasn’t shut down all travel from abroad. If he were focused on preventing the spread of this virus rather than demonizing foreigners, he would require anyone arriving from abroad, including U.S. citizens, to undergo a 14-day quarantine — not bar them from coming at all.
    Nor will his latest ploy save jobs for Americans. The huge jump in unemployment is the product of the outbreak and the restrictions imposed to contain it. Shutting out foreigners won’t put a single bartender, oil field worker or retail salesperson back to work.
    The real point of Trump’s immigration order is the same as many of his other actions and pronouncements in this crisis: to put the blame on others, particularly foreign governments and foreign citizens, for the spread of what he has called a “foreign virus” and “the Chinese virus.” Having squandered weeks that could have been used to marshal critical resources against the pandemic, he now labors to divert attention from his own failures. Foreigners are his favorite scapegoat.
    If and when the battle against this disease is won, Americans will owe a debt to many immigrants for their contribution. Trump’s immigration policy? Not so much.

Steve Chapman, a member of the Tribune Editorial Board, blogs at http://www.chicagotribune.com/chapman .
    schapman@chicagotribune.com
    Twitter @SteveChapman13

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Fuckin dead in here.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    ituobrey
    Participant

Fuckin dead in here.

I for one am shocked, shocked I tell ya! Who wouldn”t want to increase their personal agita and anxiety by lobbing brickbats across no-man’s land from their ever deepening trench?! It’s a cryin’ shame I tell ya!

"Calmly, Powdered Toast Man...ASSESSES THE SITUATION!" -Gary Owens

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’m just speaking hypothetically, but if I re-elect Trump, do you think he will send me more stimulus money? Well, he already sent me G&L money, but before I spend it, I was wondering if there might be Rickenbacker monies available too.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

6 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

wondering if there might be Rickenbacker monies available too.

Rickenbacker states any instruments bought with stimulus monies is not covered under warranty.

Sitting here like uninvited company.
    Some posts may be unofficially sponsored by Wild Turkey 101.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

Rickenbacker states any instruments [are] not covered under warranty.

FTFY

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Rickenbacker states any instruments bought with stimulus monies is not covered under warranty.

I like when we say monies

... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

FTFY

I meant to say it the first way.

Kinda like “can I has cheeseburger?”

Still4strings
    Participant

FTFY

Oh, I was just totally changing the meaning of your statement for snarky purposes. 🙂 RIC has a solid reputation for warranty denials.

dedpool1052

FTFY

Oh, I was just totally changing the meaning of your statement for snarky purposes. 🙂 RIC has a solid reputation for warranty denials.

Ain’t that the truth.

I’ve heard they’ll even void warranties over using strings other than what they use in the factory.

Still4strings
    Participant

I think my RIC 4001 went out of warranty almost 50 years ago, so I use any strings I want! Screw you, Hall! 😉

Mktrat
    Keymaster

I think this fits here:

I ain't scared of no rona

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

LBS-bass
    Participant

I like when we say monies

Two monies will get you this.

And if you want two more of those, you can add this, for additional monies:

6 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

This place suxcks.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

dedpool1052

This place suxcks.

Indeed.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

You guys are looking at it all wrong. This thread is like tweezers: You don’t use it every day, but it’s an invaluable tool when needed.

There is no magical wonder here, that’s what the other thread is for.

This place is nothing but a blow off valve for anyone who’s driven to post controversial material. If and when that happens, the response to it will prove once and for all, whether or not anyone else gives a shit about anyone elses advice and opinions on politics. Above all else, this thread is a testing ground.

... Al Capone

metron

FTFY

No monies is a real thing. More than just plural money, it’s multiple conceptual sources of monay.

One of the things I used to think as a kid when I watched Duck Tales is when Scrooge McDuck dives into his huge pile of gold coins and treasure, doesn’t he get hurt?

metron

This place suxcks.

YOU suck. You could learn a thing or two from this gem of a thread. But you have to care first.

metron

I don’t mind talking about politics. One thing about it that bothers me though is the incorrect assumptions people make. It makes things unnecessarily murky.

I remember when I first met my wife’s grandparents. Truly lovely people. They are basically Eisenhower GOP keeping it real in the new century so grandma, wanting to get to know a little about me, says what do you think about what this latest Republican senator said about this and that. And I responded yeah I heard about that and I do not agree. To which grandma says

Oh mercy are you a democrat?

No grandma I’m not a goddamn democrat.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

YOU suck. You could learn a thing or two from this gem of a thread. But you have to care first.

Nay, thou art the distemperate daw who is’t sucks. Prithee, hence with thee, incompetent issue. Fartuous daw.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar