Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

The Asylum : A safe haven for tinfoil mad-hatters and politic’n

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum The Asylum : A safe haven for tinfoil mad-hatters and politic’n

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 296 total)
  • Author
    LBS-bass
    Participant

Apparently a few of them sank here, as well.  What’s up with all the boats sinking?  Have those people not ever been in a boat before?

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a signature?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    NAM
    Participant

I had the pleasure of viewing the Trump-tilla of boats yesterday.

FkvF9ar<noscript>FkvF9ar</noscript>

I had a few choice words for the shallow end of the gene pool followers… I am so Anti-moron.. anti-orange, Anti-lead paint chip eating, doorknob licking, rallying, protesting, looting, and killing for sport… okay that is all.. I will see if I can just edit my anti-Trump remarks from going over the bridge… I had a lot of profanity.. But then again I do speak fluent sailor, truck driver and tourettes.

I have come to kick ass

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NAM
    Participant

This was a sample. I put music to it to drown out my anti orange remarks

I have come to kick ass

2 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Apparently a few of them sank here, as well. What’s up with all the boats sinking? Have those people not ever been in a boat before?

It looked like they forgot that if you wanna have a lot of boats close together, you have to slow down.  Instead they went faster and swamped each other (and at least one non-trumper boat).

Still4strings
    Participant

This was a sample. I put music to it to drown out my anti orange remarks

Love it.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

Still4strings
    Participant

Please tell me that there are not enough stupid people in this country to cause this to extend for another 4 years. I really don’t know if we’d survive.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    LBS-bass
    Participant

Please tell me that there are not enough stupid people in this country to cause this to extend for another 4 years. I really don’t know if we’d survive.

We won’t.  Simple as that.  All of this was more fragile than we ever knew and only required a complicit majority in the Senate.  We are far more than halfway there.

If anyone doesn’t get out to vote, shame on you.  We need an irrefutable landslide or else we are going to have violence in the streets.  I’m not kidding.  I’ve said a lot of unsavory things about what’s happening over the past three years and been told how stupid I am, but I’m always right.  It sucks.  I have a sense about these things.

The only saving grace I can personally point to is that I’m old and I have no kids, so no real horse in this race.  If I die tomorrow I will have lived a good life. But those of you who do have kids and grandkids, for God’s sake, do what you can.  Four more years of this will surely be the end of democracy.

For anyone who thinks I’m being hyperbolic, please look at a map.  Look at a map from 300 years ago, and then 300 years before that, and so forth.  None of this shit stays the same.  The comfort of this republic is an illusion unless we actively work to keep it in place.

Still4strings
    Participant

We won’t. Simple as that. All of this was more fragile than we ever knew and only required a complicit majority in the Senate. We are far more than halfway there.

If anyone doesn’t get out to vote, shame on you. We need an irrefutable landslide or else we are going to have violence in the streets. I’m not kidding. I’ve said a lot of unsavory things about what’s happening over the past three years and been told how stupid I am, but I’m always right. It sucks. I have a sense about these things.

The only saving grace I can personally point to is that I’m old and I have no kids, so no real horse in this race. If I die tomorrow I will have lived a good life. But those of you who do have kids and grandkids, for God’s sake, do what you can. Four more years of this will surely be the end of democracy.

For anyone who thinks I’m being hyperbolic, please look at a map. Look at a map from 300 years ago, and then 300 years before that, and so forth. None of this shit stays the same. The comfort of this republic is an illusion unless we actively work to keep it in place.

LBS, I completely agree with you. This is the most critical presidential election certainly in our lifetimes, perhaps ever. I’m not being hyperbolic when I say I’m afraid that this country would not survive another four years of this. And things could get incredibly ugly very quickly if it’s close, or if, God forbid, the orange idiot manages to get elected.

fcleff69

or else we are going to have violence in the streets

We may get that anyway. Drumpf is really hyping up his base to do this.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NAM
    Participant

2D988FAC-1D38-4FED-B49D-60905E69056C

these were the idiots blocking traffic on my way to work on Saturday morning

I have come to kick ass

Still4strings
    Participant

Juanita Jean's | Klan Overboard!

LBS-bass
    Participant

or else we are going to have violence in the streets

We may get that anyway. Drumpf is really hyping up his base to do this.

Yep. What’s interesting to me is the pushback he’s getting from the military leaders right now.  There are reports that the military is saying that they won’t get involved in settling election disputes.  Some are interpreting that to mean that they’re going to stand down.  I don’t.  I think what they’re saying is that they’re not going to be politicized into enforcing the “results” of a bogus election.  That doesn’t mean they won’t willingly drag Cheeto out of the Oval at gunpoint if he loses.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Knuckleduster
    Participant

I’ve been told, at various points over the past 9 months, that nearly everything I enjoy is problematic or troublesome in some way, shape, or form.  I got skewered for asking “What, do you guys have a bingo card or something for things that get cancelled?”

This is the kind of thing that radicalizes folks toward Trump and Trumpist ideals:  I’m genuinely trying to do my best.  I strive to brighten someone’s day as often as I can.  I’m not a super charismatic guy, and my sense of humor is subtle and dry.  But when I’m told that everything about me is problematic a small part of me wonders what the hell I’m even doing…why am I trying to improve the world around me when it’s never going to be enough?  When the food and drink I consume is classist, the jokes I make are racist, the grammar I use is “white supremacist,” the language/slang I use is sexist, the media I consume is problematic for a wide variety of reasons, and I can’t even do as much as casually say “Hey guys,” everything about me feels like it’s under attack.  I don’t understand the dichotomy where, when a Hispanic/Latino goes to Taco Bell asking for a mild sauce packet and gets a Diablo sauce, it’s racist, but when a white guy goes to TB and orders Diablo sauce but gets mild, it’s not.  I don’t even know if Hispanic or Latino are the proper terms anymore, so I feel like I’d be better suited with “spic” or “beaner,” because I know those are inappropriate terms and I know exactly why, and I totally expect to get skewered for using the blatantly wrong terms.

Ya dig?  I’m genuinely trying to do better, but every step of the way, I’m being told that I’m wrong because of who I am (Christian, white, cishet male).

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

I’ve been told, at various points over the past 9 months, that nearly everything I enjoy is problematic or troublesome in some way, shape, or form. I got skewered for asking “What, do you guys have a bingo card or something for things that get cancelled?”

This is the kind of thing that radicalizes folks toward Trump and Trumpist ideals: I’m genuinely trying to do my best. I strive to brighten someone’s day as often as I can. I’m not a super charismatic guy, and my sense of humor is subtle and dry. But when I’m told that everything about me is problematic a small part of me wonders what the hell I’m even doing…why am I trying to improve the world around me when it’s never going to be enough? When the food and drink I consume is classist, the jokes I make are racist, the grammar I use is “white supremacist,” the language/slang I use is sexist, the media I consume is problematic for a wide variety of reasons, and I can’t even do as much as casually say “Hey guys,” everything about me feels like it’s under attack. I don’t understand the dichotomy where, when a Hispanic/Latino goes to Taco Bell asking for a mild sauce packet and gets a Diablo sauce, it’s racist, but when a white guy goes to TB and orders Diablo sauce but gets mild, it’s not. I don’t even know if Hispanic or Latino are the proper terms anymore, so I feel like I’d be better suited with “spic” or “beaner,” because I know those are inappropriate terms and I know exactly why, and I totally expect to get skewered for using the blatantly wrong terms.

Ya dig? I’m genuinely trying to do better, but every step of the way, I’m being told that I’m wrong because of who I am (Christian, white, cishet male).

Right there with ya, brotein shake!

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

LBS-bass
    Participant

I’ve been told, at various points over the past 9 months, that nearly everything I enjoy is problematic or troublesome in some way, shape, or form. I got skewered for asking “What, do you guys have a bingo card or something for things that get cancelled?”

This is the kind of thing that radicalizes folks toward Trump and Trumpist ideals: I’m genuinely trying to do my best. I strive to brighten someone’s day as often as I can. I’m not a super charismatic guy, and my sense of humor is subtle and dry. But when I’m told that everything about me is problematic a small part of me wonders what the hell I’m even doing…why am I trying to improve the world around me when it’s never going to be enough? When the food and drink I consume is classist, the jokes I make are racist, the grammar I use is “white supremacist,” the language/slang I use is sexist, the media I consume is problematic for a wide variety of reasons, and I can’t even do as much as casually say “Hey guys,” everything about me feels like it’s under attack. I don’t understand the dichotomy where, when a Hispanic/Latino goes to Taco Bell asking for a mild sauce packet and gets a Diablo sauce, it’s racist, but when a white guy goes to TB and orders Diablo sauce but gets mild, it’s not. I don’t even know if Hispanic or Latino are the proper terms anymore, so I feel like I’d be better suited with “spic” or “beaner,” because I know those are inappropriate terms and I know exactly why, and I totally expect to get skewered for using the blatantly wrong terms.

Ya dig? I’m genuinely trying to do better, but every step of the way, I’m being told that I’m wrong because of who I am (Christian, white, cishet male).

It’s a big problem.  As you all have undoubtedly figured out by now, I lean hard to the left, but I am not on board with the way the left picks at its own, nor am I on board with the endless series of purity tests and circular firing squads this generates.

A big part of this problem (IMO) is academia.  The right just goes on its merry way, listening to their community leaders and pledging support while believing that, if worst comes to worst and they screw up big time, they can ask for forgiveness.

But the left?  OMG.  Everything about society is scrutinized in those ivory towers to the nth degree, and every kid who went to college and took some sort sociology class has something to say about how things got the way they are and why <insert particular pet cause here> is at the root of every problem.  You can take your pick.  It might be race relations, it might be gender assumptions, it might be institutional sexism, but everyone has their own personal favorite issue and if you’re not far on board with that particular issue, you’re not doing everything right.

And I’m not saying that these things are not real issues, but for heaven’s sake, we can’t all be experts in social dynamics with regard to all of them.  And people who grew up when I did, in the 70’s, are going to have very different upbringings which might need tweaking, but let’s cut them a little slack, shall we?  Militantly yelling at people doesn’t make them more inclined to consider your point of view.

Two examples:  We have a recycling bin that we put out every other week for collection.  A while back I figured out that most of the recycling doesn’t get recycled anymore; it goes to a landfill because the stuff that China used to want, they don’t want anymore.  So, being a person with a BRAIN in my head I started tossing those items into the garbage bin instead because a) I don’t need to rinse and clean them to put them in there and b) that’s where they’re going to end up anyway.

You would think that I am committing the most mortal of sins by my husband’s reaction to this.  Now, I love the guy, but he can get really set in his ways on things and it can take a lot of effort to get him to budge.  He feels like he’s doing his part by chucking everything into the recycling, and I feel like I’m being picked on for not being a mindless rule-follower.

Second example:  Right after George Floyd was killed, I was on some forum somewhere where there was a conversation about it and someone chimed in about how we should really consider how poorly women are treated in society by everyone.

I’m like, really?  We’re in a deep conversation about a guy getting killed and you want to call us out because we care about this in order to draw attention to your own pet cause?  WTF is wrong with you?

I’ve joined and left numerous groups on political topics because the infighting is off the charts.  It’s part of why I have a very cynical outlook about the prospects of actually achieving any sort of progress on so-called “progressive” causes in this country.  If you look around at the rest of the world, the things we think are so freaking “progressive” are things almost every other country already has done.  But we sit here shooting ourselves and each other in the foot over stupid things instead of uniting to move forward.

And don’t get me started on “cultural appropriation.”  Anthropologist literally study the migrations of people by looking at the way cultures intermingled and influenced each other, but in 2020 I’m not allowed to wear a chopstick in my hair because I’m “stealing” someone’s culture.  Throughout recorded history cultures have influenced each other but now that should stop because it’s been determined somehow that now it’s wrong? Give me a break.

I could go on and on, but I think y’all get my point.

Still4strings
    Participant

20200918_134433

fcleff69

Fucking shit.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

LBS-bass
    Participant

Fucking shit.

Seriously.  Just shoot me now.

Still4strings
    Participant

Yeah.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Uh huh.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 296 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.