Menu Close

The Asylum : A safe haven for tinfoil mad-hatters and politic’n

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum The Asylum : A safe haven for tinfoil mad-hatters and politic’n

Viewing 19 posts - 181 through 199 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    fcleff69

The proliferation of misinformation and the willingness of ordinary Americans to believe it is incredibly depressing.

A case of the internet not working out quite like it was envisioned. People can look until their biases are confirmed and, voila, instant research.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Knuckleduster
    Participant

and that should have us all terrified.

Yes, and it’s sad how a lot of Americans just take it hook, line, and sinker.

Too many people never learned how to think for themselves and do actual research, so they think “do your research!” means watch a quack YouTube video with a bunch of made up stuff. The proliferation of misinformation and the willingness of ordinary Americans to believe it is incredibly depressing.

I’m potentially the youngest member here – firmly in the Millennial age group, although I do remember a time before the internet.    One of the prolific things I learned in 9th grade English was how to feel out a good primary source online.From that English class, I eventually took a few more advanced writing classes, culminating in becoming a staff writer for our high school newspaper…each step of the way learning to dissect the BS and misinformation.  But, the roots of that plant came from 9th grade English – a mandatory class for everyone.

Part of the problem that my teacher consistently identified (assignment by assignment, class by class, year by year), especially in argumentative or informational papers, was the tendency to find unique information and use that as “proof” of your bizarre, off-the-wall claims based primarily on the fact that the information you’re providing goes against the mainstream.  There’s something about being “in the know” that triggers a happy response in your brain, and part of being “in the know” is going against the mainstream thing…it’s something akin to making a major scientific discovery.

So, when you’ve got 40 years of priming in your brain about how “the mainstream media” is “fake news” and “liberal bias,” you eventually become hardwired to be contrarian to that – so, when you find a fringe blog site or a weird-ass Youtube vid (or presidential candidate) that speaks “your” language…it becomes “fuck the rest, I’ve got the trooth right here in front of me.”

Take it back to my first paragraph – one assignment in 9th Grade English was a research paper.  Part of the rubric was to sit down with the teacher and go over each and every source we’d found, and justify our use.  My paper was something vaguely related to Coca Cola (I don’t remember anymore, that was sometime around 2002 or so), and I got absolutely skewered for citing a radical feminist blog from Australia.  I found the information that supported my viewpoint, yeah, but the site had a very clear bias and was not considered to be an academic source.  Now, fast forward to 2015 or so, and a major right-wing news site posted a story about how “Liberal/Activist Judges Arrested A Woman For Baptizing Her Kids.”  Read the article, and you find out that the woman’s husband had primary custody in their divorce; she was not allowed to baptize the kids in her church; and she was not allowed to bring the kids over state lines without the husband’s permission.  In a spat of anger, she did all of the above:  On her one weekend per month, she brought the kids across state lines (which is “technically” kidnapping under these circumstances),  and had ’em baptized against her husband’s wishes.  She was overwhelmed with guilt and turned herself in.  But, you’d never hear the last bit of that story if you just went with the antagonistic headline, or the clearly loaded article that followed…and I definitely credit my high school English career with equipping me with the tools to filter through all this stuff.

Now, onto the reason I stopped in this thread in the first place:
    Fuckin’ liberals, man.  First, I’m a racist because I made the joke that “Disco Sucks.”  The whole “Disco Sucks” meme was started by a group of upper-middle class white guys, and the record burning in the late 70’s was funded by some hard-right radio jocks…both points are indicative of “White Supremacy.”  Take “Disco Sucks” as an abstract, and it’s diminishing the influence of African-American dance music on the disco craze of the late 70’s, and also diminishing the influence of disco on modern pop/dance/club music, so I’m taking a shit on the influence of black musicians by saying “Disco Sucks.”

Second off, I’m still a racist because when presented with a meme that said “If you sick, put on a mask,” and I asked the question “Where’s the verb in the first part of that clause?”  Apparently grammatical purism is a way for the wealthy educated elites to lay the smack down upon the poor, downtrodden, undereducated minorities.  So, apparently Liberals Snowflakes I Racist.

The political issues that are important to me put me slightly right of center on a global political scale – which puts me super far left in the Untied States.  I’m a “wacky liberal” in the grand scheme of things.  But, shit dudes, the points above are why people say Liberals are whiny, no-fun snowflakes.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    LBS-bass
    Participant

and that should have us all terrified.

Yes, and it’s sad how a lot of Americans just take it hook, line, and sinker.

Too many people never learned how to think for themselves and do actual research, so they think “do your research!” means watch a quack YouTube video with a bunch of made up stuff. The proliferation of misinformation and the willingness of ordinary Americans to believe it is incredibly depressing.

I’m potentially the youngest member here – firmly in the Millennial age group, although I do remember a time before the internet. One of the prolific things I learned in 9th grade English was how to feel out a good primary source online.From that English class, I eventually took a few more advanced writing classes, culminating in becoming a staff writer for our high school newspaper…each step of the way learning to dissect the BS and misinformation. But, the roots of that plant came from 9th grade English – a mandatory class for everyone.

Part of the problem that my teacher consistently identified (assignment by assignment, class by class, year by year), especially in argumentative or informational papers, was the tendency to find unique information and use that as “proof” of your bizarre, off-the-wall claims based primarily on the fact that the information you’re providing goes against the mainstream. There’s something about being “in the know” that triggers a happy response in your brain, and part of being “in the know” is going against the mainstream thing…it’s something akin to making a major scientific discovery.

So, when you’ve got 40 years of priming in your brain about how “the mainstream media” is “fake news” and “liberal bias,” you eventually become hardwired to be contrarian to that – so, when you find a fringe blog site or a weird-ass Youtube vid (or presidential candidate) that speaks “your” language…it becomes “fuck the rest, I’ve got the trooth right here in front of me.”

Take it back to my first paragraph – one assignment in 9th Grade English was a research paper. Part of the rubric was to sit down with the teacher and go over each and every source we’d found, and justify our use. My paper was something vaguely related to Coca Cola (I don’t remember anymore, that was sometime around 2002 or so), and I got absolutely skewered for citing a radical feminist blog from Australia. I found the information that supported my viewpoint, yeah, but the site had a very clear bias and was not considered to be an academic source. Now, fast forward to 2015 or so, and a major right-wing news site posted a story about how “Liberal/Activist Judges Arrested A Woman For Baptizing Her Kids.” Read the article, and you find out that the woman’s husband had primary custody in their divorce; she was not allowed to baptize the kids in her church; and she was not allowed to bring the kids over state lines without the husband’s permission. In a spat of anger, she did all of the above: On her one weekend per month, she brought the kids across state lines (which is “technically” kidnapping under these circumstances), and had ’em baptized against her husband’s wishes. She was overwhelmed with guilt and turned herself in. But, you’d never hear the last bit of that story if you just went with the antagonistic headline, or the clearly loaded article that followed…and I definitely credit my high school English career with equipping me with the tools to filter through all this stuff.

Now, onto the reason I stopped in this thread in the first place:

Fuckin’ liberals, man. First, I’m a racist because I made the joke that “Disco Sucks.” The whole “Disco Sucks” meme was started by a group of upper-middle class white guys, and the record burning in the late 70’s was funded by some hard-right radio jocks…both points are indicative of “White Supremacy.” Take “Disco Sucks” as an abstract, and it’s diminishing the influence of African-American dance music on the disco craze of the late 70’s, and also diminishing the influence of disco on modern pop/dance/club music, so I’m taking a shit on the influence of black musicians by saying “Disco Sucks.”

Second off, I’m still a racist because when presented with a meme that said “If you sick, put on a mask,” and I asked the question “Where’s the verb in the first part of that clause?” Apparently grammatical purism is a way for the wealthy educated elites to lay the smack down upon the poor, downtrodden, undereducated minorities. So, apparently Liberals Snowflakes I Racist.

The political issues that are important to me put me slightly right of center on a global political scale – which puts me super far left in the Untied States. I’m a “wacky liberal” in the grand scheme of things. But, shit dudes, the points above are why people say Liberals are whiny, no-fun snowflakes.

I will not disagree with you on any of that.  I tend a bit more to the left, but the far left leaves me exasperated more often than not and I get really tired of their constant circular firing squads.  The reason we are so dominated by the right at the moment is that the right can unite even in the face of minor disagreement. The left does nothing but fragment over the kind of things you described.  It’s truly maddening.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

The only way they can keep us down is by getting us to fight amongst ourselves.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Still4strings
    Participant

You can mask debate with friends, with coworkers, even strangers at a coffee shop. I would avoid mask debating with family, though – that can really create some unwanted friction.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

4 users thanked author for this post.
    LBS-bass
    Participant

You can mask debate with friends, with coworkers, even strangers at a coffee shop. I would avoid mask debating with family, though – that can really create some unwanted friction.

Pretty sure it’s illegal in most states.

metron

We need more quality education for the kids.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

RIP Sir Alan Parker.

Sir Alan Parker, Director of ‘The Wall,’ ‘The Commitments,’ ‘Midnight Express,’ Dead at 76

I’ve watched both the Wall and the Commitments a double digit number of times, and never made the connection.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Well fuck you too you fucking fuck who probably doesn’t even fuck:

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/put-down-the-banjo-timmy-study-finds-learning-music-won-t-make-children-smart-1.1055974

1 user thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Man, that’s enough news for today.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

RIP Sir Alan Parker.

Sir Alan Parker, Director of ‘The Wall,’ ‘The Commitments,’ ‘Midnight Express,’ Dead at 76

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/alan-parker-the-wall-midnight-express-dead-obituary-1037589/embed/#?secret=S5F0Nr7bLE

I’ve watched both the Wall and the Commitments a double digit number of times, and never made the connection.

Well fuck you too you fucking fuck who probably doesn’t even fuck:

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/put-down-the-banjo-timmy-study-finds-learning-music-won-t-make-children-smart-1.1055974

Man, that’s enough news for today.

I just posed all three of these in the wrong thread.

Gilda Radner Nevermind GIFs | Tenor

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Remember, someone once said they all become the main thread eventually!

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

5 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Remember, someone once said they all become the main thread eventually!

This one holds the record.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

Still4strings
    Participant

This isn’t political, per se, but it could certainly end up that way:

Who here has kids going to school in the fall? How are the logistics looking, and how are you feeling about it?

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I’m not going to have any part in this massacre.  My heart goes out to people who have no choice.  But the best thing we can do for ourselves, our kids, the teachers/staff/administrators, and the country is to keep our little disease vectors home until this pandemic is under control here.  So that’s what we’re going to do, even though the stress is taking months off my lifespan.

Still4strings
    Participant

It’s really worrisome. Terrifying, actually.

LBS-bass
    Participant

It’s really worrisome. Terrifying, actually.

I agree.  I am glad I don’t have close relatives in harm’s way with this.  We are in a bad situation and it can only get worse from here.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

NsBjzrf

99Rpij3

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 19 posts - 181 through 199 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar