Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

So…Coffee.

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum So…Coffee.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

We drank more coffee on vacation than I had planned. Thought I’d have close to half a pound left over, but we used nearly a pound and a half.  Gonna have to fire up the roaster tomorrow and replenish the stock!

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Mktrat
    Keymaster

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

…and then I have another coffee.  Which is where I am now.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

…and then I have another coffee. Which is where I am now.

I have the two coffees, but there’s no stuff being done in between

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I have the two coffees, but there’s no stuff being done in between

Sometimes you gotta just punt.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

Think this coffee is still good?

20200906_210434

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

Probably about as good as the guano.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

20200906_210434<noscript>&lt;img class=”gdbbx-bbcode-attachment-image” alt=”20200906_210434″ src=”https://i2.wp.com/sctmmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/20200906_210434.jpg?fit=1908%2C3076&amp;ssl=1&#8243; /&gt;</noscript>

Green coffee lasts a pretty long time if stored properly. There’s actually a market for “aged” green coffee. This might be a little long in the tooth, though.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Still4strings
    Participant

20200906_210434<noscript>&lt;img class=”gdbbx-bbcode-attachment-image” alt=”20200906_210434″ src=”https://i2.wp.com/sctmmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/20200906_210434.jpg?fit=1908%2C3076&amp;ssl=1&#8243; /&gt;</noscript>

Green coffee lasts a pretty long time if stored properly. There’s actually a market for “aged” green coffee. This might be a little long in the tooth, though.

211 years does seem like a rather long time.

Knuckleduster
    Participant

Can we talk about the Starbucksification of the American coffee market?

I had to do a company profile on Starbucks as part of a college marketing class, including setting up a day wherein I lectured for an entire class segment (60-75 minutes) on Starbucks and their presence as an entity.  While there have always been little hipstery coffee shops (though, in the given lexicon of the times, I suppose “beatnik” is a better descriptor), there’s a huge argument to be made that Starbucks made the coffee shop into the ubiquitous thing it is today.

Part of the maintenance training at my old hotel was to become bartender trained, as well as barista trained, as “preventative maintenance.”  Management, of course, didn’t phrase the question correctly when they called up for training, so naturally, none of the cafe staff or bar staff were there for either segment.  Alas, I am a trained barista.  One thing that I noticed about the Starbucksification of American coffee, during my training, was the improper naming of things:  Many late-90’s comedians opined that “A small is a tall!  What’s up with that?” as the crowd burst into laughter.  Our shop was set up with traditional sizes:  6 ounce latte/cappuccino drinks, 4 ounce macchiatos, and then double that for a “double.”  That’s exactly what Starbucks did:  They used to have “small” 6 ounce drinks, then “tall” 12 ounce drinks.  They eventually nicked the 6 ounce drinks, and inserted a Grande 16 ounce drink, and a Venti (Italian for 20) 20 ounce drink.  So, when we got the guy walking up to the counter and asking for “A LATTE GRANDE,” he was disappointed when we only gave him a 12 ounce drink, unflavored.

Anyway, flip that:  I’m collecting data for a blog post about the best macchiato in town.  I’ve found a weird trend wherein I’ll be handed a double vanilla latte when I ask for a macchiato, instead of a “spotted espresso.”  Or, people just won’t know how to make an espresso to drink (not to mix in with milk and sugar).

RattFink
    Participant

<noscript>20200906_210434</noscript>

Was this taken at the Peabody/Salem Museum? I literally grew up down the street from there.

G&L Musical Instruments

Still4strings
    Participant

Was this taken at the Peabody/Salem Museum? I literally grew up down the street from there.

Yes indeed. We went there on Sunday. Salem was busy, bit not too crazy. It was a good day to just wander.

fcleff69

I’ve found a weird trend wherein I’ll be handed a double vanilla latte when I ask for a macchiato, instead of a “spotted espresso.”  Or, people just won’t know how to make an espresso to drink (not to mix in with milk and sugar).

WTF??!!

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

@Jeff Preston

Would it work to infuse already roasted beans and let them dry again?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

@Jeff Preston

Should be ok. Might as well just add the liquor after brewing at that point, though.

JP

Still4strings
    Participant

@Jeff Preston

Should be ok. Might as well just add the liquor after brewing at that point, though.

Jeff knows how to make Saturday coffee. He knows what’s up!

Knuckleduster
    Participant

I’ve found a weird trend wherein I’ll be handed a double vanilla latte when I ask for a macchiato, instead of a “spotted espresso.” Or, people just won’t know how to make an espresso to drink (not to mix in with milk and sugar).

WTF??!!

Because cArAmEl MaCcHiAtO

fcleff69

Good point.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Can we talk about the Starbucksification of the American coffee market?

I had to do a company profile on Starbucks as part of a college marketing class, including setting up a day wherein I lectured for an entire class segment (60-75 minutes) on Starbucks and their presence as an entity. While there have always been little hipstery coffee shops (though, in the given lexicon of the times, I suppose “beatnik” is a better descriptor), there’s a huge argument to be made that Starbucks made the coffee shop into the ubiquitous thing it is today.

Part of the maintenance training at my old hotel was to become bartender trained, as well as barista trained, as “preventative maintenance.” Management, of course, didn’t phrase the question correctly when they called up for training, so naturally, none of the cafe staff or bar staff were there for either segment. Alas, I am a trained barista. One thing that I noticed about the Starbucksification of American coffee, during my training, was the improper naming of things: Many late-90’s comedians opined that “A small is a tall! What’s up with that?” as the crowd burst into laughter. Our shop was set up with traditional sizes: 6 ounce latte/cappuccino drinks, 4 ounce macchiatos, and then double that for a “double.” That’s exactly what Starbucks did: They used to have “small” 6 ounce drinks, then “tall” 12 ounce drinks. They eventually nicked the 6 ounce drinks, and inserted a Grande 16 ounce drink, and a Venti (Italian for 20) 20 ounce drink. So, when we got the guy walking up to the counter and asking for “A LATTE GRANDE,” he was disappointed when we only gave him a 12 ounce drink, unflavored.

Anyway, flip that: I’m collecting data for a blog post about the best macchiato in town. I’ve found a weird trend wherein I’ll be handed a double vanilla latte when I ask for a macchiato, instead of a “spotted espresso.” Or, people just won’t know how to make an espresso to drink (not to mix in with milk and sugar).

Starbucks definitely launched the specialty coffee industry. I can tolerate their offerings if it’s my only option. I’d much rather patronize a local micro roaster coffee shop.

I’d love to own my own shop. Roast my own beans. Have a smallish stage with back line for bands to come in and jam.

There’s a place kinda like my image about an hour and fifteen minutes North of my town. They don’t roast their own coffee, but they have a nice little stage with back line and lights.

It would be a cool little spot if their coffee was better. I hope they’re surviving Covid.

JP

Jeff Preston
    Participant

The Jamison infused beans were not good.

JP

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.