Menu Close

So…Coffee.

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum So…Coffee.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Anyone here roast their own coffee beans?trim.6545B5B0-09AB-4ED3-80A3-D693907C322D

</p>

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

dedpool1052

is intrigued

Sitting here like uninvited company.
    Some posts may be unofficially sponsored by Wild Turkey 101.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

is intrigued

Been roasting for about 7-8 years now I suppose. Started with a popcorn popper, then a modified popper, then a Behmor 1600+ home roaster and now the grill roaster for more volume.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

LBS-bass
    Participant

is intrigued

Been roasting for about 7-8 years now I suppose. Started with a popcorn popper, then a modified popper, then a Behmor 1600+ home roaster and now the grill roaster for more volume.

What made you decide to start roasting your own?  I love coffee but can rarely find coffee that loves me so much.  What I like in coffee is very hard to find.  Maybe if I took up roasting I could make it happen.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    ituobrey
    Participant

Maybe if I took up roasting I could make it happen

Inside the mind of a young Don Rickles?

"Calmly, Powdered Toast Man...ASSESSES THE SITUATION!" -Gary Owens

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

is intrigued

What made you decide to start roasting your own? I love coffee but can rarely find coffee that loves me so much. What I like in coffee is very hard to find. Maybe if I took up roasting I could make it happen.

I like really good coffee. It was costing way too much to buy what I liked, so I started searching for ways to roast my own.

What is it you like that’s hard to find?

JP

ituobrey
    Participant

OK Jeff, now that the holiday is over this cartoon cat

is intrigued

Soooooo many questions Jeff! First, I noticed the grill you’re using is brand new. Will it be dedicated to coffee roasting? I have a grill, but mostly it gets used for mice, voles, and the occasional chipmunk. I am not sure if I want a steaming cup of that under my big blue nose each morning. Why is my nose so big and blue, you ask? Awww, shucks Jeff, thanks for noticing! Well, since it’s just you and me here, I will share something with you. My sublime cerulean snoot is the unintended result of a “Kylie Jenner Shot Glass Lip Plumping Challenge” attempt gone awry. But enough about me; where were we? Oh yeah! Coffee roasting! Well Jeff, even my novel navy nose

is intrigued

about coffee ☕ roasting! What did just the rotisserie setup run you, if don’t mind me asking? It would be essential for me. As you might imagine, without opposable thumbs, not having to have a spit in one’s mouth for hours on end so one’s beans don’t burn (I know, I know) is preferable. How long do the roasted beans stay fresh? What about unroasted beans? How many G and L’s do you own? Where do your favorite beans come from? How much can you roast at one time? Do you always hang out with Marcus Miller? How long do the beans roast? Oh no! I have sooo many questions rattling around behind my eyes 👀 now…. they’re STUCK! I have to go now Jeff! I will await any knowledge you wish to share with bated breath; but right now I have to call my friend Ren Hoek. He always helps me when I get a case of questipation. He gets up REAL close to my right ear and screams “YOU EEEEEDIOT!!!” It always works! All the questipation just gushes out my left ear!

Bye now!

"Calmly, Powdered Toast Man...ASSESSES THE SITUATION!" -Gary Owens

LBS-bass
    Participant

is intrigued

What made you decide to start roasting your own? I love coffee but can rarely find coffee that loves me so much. What I like in coffee is very hard to find. Maybe if I took up roasting I could make it happen.

I like really good coffee. It was costing way too much to buy what I liked, so I started searching for ways to roast my own.

I like coffee that is rich, strong, and powerful but not bitter or burned tasting.  Columbian on steroids I suppose.  Seems like that is not what most people want or like.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

like coffee that is rich, strong, and powerful but not bitter or burned tasting.  Columbian on steroids I suppose.  Seems like that is not what most people want or like.

You an I have similar taste.

I like a bold flavored coffee.

It’s hard to find one like that, but isn’t bitter or acidic.

Sitting here like uninvited company.
    Some posts may be unofficially sponsored by Wild Turkey 101.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

@ituobrey

First, I noticed the grill you’re using is brand new. Will it be dedicated to coffee roasting? Yes, a new, dedicated grill is best. 

What did just the rotisserie setup run you, if don’t mind me asking? I found mine used, but they run between $600-$1500 new depending on the capacity. 

How long do the roasted beans stay fresh? Generally a couple of weeks in a good container.

What about unroasted beans? Green beans can last several years if kept in a cool, dry location.

How many G and L’s do you own? Currently, just one.

Where do your favorite beans come from? I get most of mine from http://www.burmancoffee.com but there are many others out there.

How much can you roast at one time? Mine is the 4lb version.

Do you always hang out with Marcus Miller? Just once for a few moments.

How long do the beans roast? It depends on the bean and how dark you like your coffee. Typically, 12-16 minutes.

Let me know if you have any other questipations.  

JP

Jeff Preston
    Participant

is intrigued

I like coffee that is rich, strong, and powerful but not bitter or burned tasting. Columbian on steroids I suppose. Seems like that is not what most people want or like.

Some of it depends on the bean origin and some on the roasting method and length.

JP

Jeff Preston
    Participant

like coffee that is rich, strong, and powerful but not bitter or burned tasting. Columbian on steroids I suppose. Seems like that is not what most people want or like.

You an I have similar taste.

I like a bold flavored coffee.

It’s hard to find one like that, but isn’t bitter or acidic.

Mrs. P and I are solid medium roast fans. The medium roast level retains the bean origin flavors, but still has the richness you want with good coffee.

I’ve been working on darker roasts since a few of my friends/customers like them, though.

JP

fcleff69

The Double French Roast I get is the bomb.
    Double French Roast

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

NSYMCE
    Participant

Anyone here roast their own coffee beans?

Nope, somehow I’ve managed to avoid that particular DIY rabbit hole so far. I have lots of friends who are into it though, some have been quite successful comnmercially even. As with beer, where I live it’s just really easy to “let my people take care of it.” When I was homebrewing I did upwards of 60 batches in the first year, I generally go all-in on DIY stuff. Right now electronics are more than enough to keep me busy and nearly broke.  😎

During lockdown our favorite shop was shut down for a couple of months and we took the chance to find two other really good local vendors who roast in-house. We have a decent Italian single boiler espresso rig and a so-so grinder, and our new preferred vendor currently has three nice medium roasts that are targeted for folks like us.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Double French Roast

Wow! That is really dark! No bean origin flavor to be found in that one.

JP

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I like coffee that is rich, strong, and powerful but not bitter or burned tasting.

What a coincidence, that’s just how I like my women.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Double French Roast

I am a medium roast guy myself, but hef sent me a bag of this and it’s legit.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I’m not looking for a new hobby, but am sub’ing for the knowledge.

My current budget bean is Trader Joe’s Columbian (cheaper in store, I think).

But over the weekend I blew half my wad on a bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain.

Still4strings
    Participant

But over the weekend I blew half my wad on a bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain.

“Cleanup in Aisle 4.”

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

RattFink
    Participant

so you sucker me in with Coffee on the front, then I get in here you everyone’s talking about beans.  HaHaHa very funny.  Everyone knows coffee comes in a bag or a can.. I like Lavazza Classico.  Some don’t like it because it has a blend of both Arabic and Robusta.  But it has a nice smooth as silk rich flavor that’s never bitter.  Not too earthy, not to fruity, great for every day.

G&L Musical Instruments

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar