Menu Close

Say Something Great About Your G&LBass!

Home Forums G&L Guitar Club Say Something Great About Your G&LBass!

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    dedpool1052

Like I always say, my favorite P is my Kilo!

Of course now I need to ask, what do you think about the L 1000?

I have both.

However, they use different woods, and both have distinctively different voices acoustically.

That being said, I feel like the Wunkay, due to its pickup placement being close to a P, has a fullness, or “bloom”, to the notes.

Whereas the Kilo, is tighter, and more focused.

I’d say the overlapping, “P-like” qualities found in both, is akin to comparing P-players, from different backgrounds.

For example,

I’d say the Wunkay is a little more Geezer Butler, and the Kilo is a little more Steve Harris.

If that makes sense.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

I have both. However, they use different woods, and both have distinctively different voices acoustically. That being said, I feel like the Wunkay, due to its pickup placement being close to a P, has a fullness, or “bloom”, to the notes. Whereas the Kilo, is tighter, and more focused

I’m going out on a limb here. maybe the Kilo is tight but hot for a rock tone like as you would expect from a hot neck pickup on a J bass and the Wunkay is more like a hot P with big overtones and a fatter voice??  For my money, the P has more harmonics that can sometime get muddy with fingerstyle in a dense mix.

I played a 72′ P with this band forever but lately with the 2 gtrs, and keys, the soundstage is so thick that I use the neck pup on the JB for agressive and growl but more tightly focused. I guess some would call this scooped although the Ampeg pre is set far from scooped.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant

I have both. However, they use different woods, and both have distinctively different voices acoustically. That being said, I feel like the Wunkay, due to its pickup placement being close to a P, has a fullness, or “bloom”, to the notes. Whereas the Kilo, is tighter, and more focused

I’m going out on a limb here. maybe the Kilo is tight but hot for a rock tone like as you would expect from a hot neck pickup on a J bass and the Wunkay is more like a hot P with big overtones and a fatter voice??  For my money, the P has more harmonics that can sometime get muddy with fingerstyle in a dense mix.

I played a 72′ P with this band forever but lately with the 2 gtrs, and keys, the soundstage is so thick that I use the neck pup on the JB for agressive and growl but more tightly focused. I guess some would call this scooped although the Ampeg pre is set far from scooped.

And here I sit thinking to my ears a PBass has more low end fundamental whereas the Kilo will give a wider spread dynamically and more harmonics.

I do agree with pool in that a PBass (or Wunkay) does have that “bloom” where those low mids suddenly mushroom out and kick you in the chest and the Kilo is more mid focused and immediate.

Playing those LaBella Flats my intent is to get under the rest of the mid range clutter and EQ well enough so that even fingerstyle I don’t allow myself to get too muddy so I need an amp with a ton of control of my EQ.

The Kilo could power it’s way through that clutter and won’t get too muddy but with it I’ve found a need to roll off some high mids so it doesn’t get too “honky” or bright.  It has a lot more balls than any JBass I’ve ever played.

I find it much tougher to describe the sound of a Kilo than I do a PBass or JBass because of that pickup and the three pickup settings.  In addition different strings will tend to bring out different character.  For me rounds and even half rounds were still too bright even fingerstyle but for a harder rock guy or a riff player who uses a pick a lot they may be perfect.  I finally settled on Pressurewounds like I’ve used on my JBasses before.  They’re very dynamic punchy and work well fingerstyle for me.

I almost think a guy has to play one a bit to appreciate what a Kilo can do well and where you may want something else.

Surely one day my epitaph will read; "Don't mind him. He's just the bassist".

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

One thing it’s not is a JBass.

To me, the closest it gets to a J, is in parallel mode, with the tone all the way down. It gets that nice mid bump and old school vibe.

Yeah, it gets more scooped like a JBass and if I was doing a gig where I needed something closer to a JBass that where I’d go with it too.  I mean in a live setting it does have enough versatility to cover some of that ground as well but might not cut it that well if someone was recording and looking for a JBass kind of tonality and growl.

When giving opinions and thoughts when I don’t really know how or where a player intends to use something I tend to split hairs more often.  And that’s probably based on my 50 years plus of almost always having a PBass or PBass type and a JBass or JBass type and using both according to need.  And I guess that still the case.

But I can also say that if I headed out to a jam or an audition not knowing fully what might be needed I’d probably take the Kilo first before the others and bend it in whatever direction I needed.  At home it’s like a magnet, LOL.  It draws me to it more often than the other two do because it’s more fun to play and experiment with.

I think the Kilo pulls off the Red Barchetta tone, perfectly.

Red Barchetta?  Is that your ex-wife.  The penis slashing red head?  😆

No Red Barchetta is a Rush song. My exwifes name was Abbadon

First, whack the driver, then off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I think this is a great representation of the “basic” kilo tone.

First, whack the driver, then off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

soulman
    Participant

One thing it’s not is a JBass.

To me, the closest it gets to a J, is in parallel mode, with the tone all the way down. It gets that nice mid bump and old school vibe.

Yeah, it gets more scooped like a JBass and if I was doing a gig where I needed something closer to a JBass that where I’d go with it too.  I mean in a live setting it does have enough versatility to cover some of that ground as well but might not cut it that well if someone was recording and looking for a JBass kind of tonality and growl.

When giving opinions and thoughts when I don’t really know how or where a player intends to use something I tend to split hairs more often.  And that’s probably based on my 50 years plus of almost always having a PBass or PBass type and a JBass or JBass type and using both according to need.  And I guess that still the case.

But I can also say that if I headed out to a jam or an audition not knowing fully what might be needed I’d probably take the Kilo first before the others and bend it in whatever direction I needed.  At home it’s like a magnet, LOL.  It draws me to it more often than the other two do because it’s more fun to play and experiment with.

I think the Kilo pulls off the Red Barchetta tone, perfectly.

Red Barchetta?  Is that your ex-wife.  The penis slashing red head?  😆

No Red Barchetta is a Rush song. My exwifes name was Abbadon

I know that but Red Barchetta just sounded like a red haired Italian banshee not an Irish one.

But one one point we do agree.  Red heads can be very dangerous to your health and your wealth.

soulman
    Participant

I think this is a great representation of the “basic” kilo tone.

Yeah, with some hair on it a Kilo could sound like that.  I can’t bring it out quite enough in that mix but as I said despite the guitar work it doesn’t get lost in it either.  It’s still very punchy but to me more gut punch that chest rattling punch.

It’s it’s own thing and not all that easy to define in comparison to a P or J Bass other than to say it can cover some of that same ground when you want it to but it has it’s own way of doing it.  It’s more StingRay with a somewhat different voicing.

dedpool1052

It’s still very punchy but to me more gut punch that chest rattling punch.

Yup.

To me,

Wunkay = grunt

Kiloton = growl

Sitting here like uninvited company.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant

It’s still very punchy but to me more gut punch that chest rattling punch.

Yup.

To me,

Wunkay = grunt

Kiloton = growl

Good way to put it.  I gotta remember that breaux.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I gotta stop reading this thread…</p>

JP

A morning poem:
    Coffee, coffee, coffee. Everyone shut up. Coffee.

soulman
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I gotta stop reading this thread…</p>

Welcome to ‘N Ablers R Us.   😀

fcleff69

I sold my 1996 L-5500 fretless in the rare black/silver swirl ‘bowling ball’ finish.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

ituobrey
    Participant

I sold my 1996 L-5500 fretless in the rare black/silver swirl ‘bowling ball’ finish

Good job keeping on topic cHefcleff!

soulman
    Participant

I sold my 1996 L-5500 fretless in the rare black/silver swirl ‘bowling ball’ finish.

Is that a good thing?

ituobrey
    Participant

Is that a good thing?

If the topic title is to be believed it’s

Screenshot_20210412-204725_Samsung-Internet

Mktrat
    Keymaster

You did?

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I’ve been totally favoring my Streamer over the SB-2 for what must be two months now.  I’m debating whether to bring the SB-2 to the luthier for a new nut, or buy the parts and tools to do it myself.  I think the time + cost will be the same in either case.  But I just can’t find time for projects these days.  In the meantime the SB-2 plays just fine, but it’s got like tea bag flags and construction paper bits in the nut grooves.  It’s all very punk.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant

I’ve been totally favoring my Streamer over the SB-2 for what must be two months now.  I’m debating whether to bring the SB-2 to the luthier for a new nut, or buy the parts and tools to do it myself.  I think the time + cost will be the same in either case.  But I just can’t find time for projects these days.  In the meantime the SB-2 plays just fine, but it’s got like tea bag flags and construction paper bits in the nut grooves.  It’s all very punk.

It’s really costly to buy a set up to cut your own nuts from raw blanks.  (Can’t believe I wrote that and I’m being serious)

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

If you’re serious, I’ll happily mail you the tools and you can return them when you’re done

... Al Capone

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I appreciate the offer!  On the one hand, I don’t mind investing in the tools.–it’s more a matter of whether I’ll find the time to tackle the project.  On the other hand, this is the first time in some 20 basses that I’ve ever needed to deal with the nut, so the investment might not have much of an ROI.

Oh well….

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.