P&J pickup ideas

Home Forums Bass Players Forum P&J pickup ideas

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    TinIndian
    Participant
    Registered On: November 16, 2018
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 209

So I’ve got a project PJ I’m putting together and I’m looking for some recommendations/ideas. I could ask on TB but I’d end up with a bunch of posts on why PJ’s suck, or recommendations for Soapbars and of course the ever helpful do a search before I’d get 5 or 6 actual answers.

The joy of TalkBass.

Anyway, i am in the planning stage for a PJ build, I snagged a trashed body for cheap off TB and have it stripped. Staying passive with it but it does have a spot for a battery box on it so if I want to go active later I can. I’ve been thinking of a set of Dimmarzio’s. I don’t care for Duncan Quarter Pounders, way too scooped in the mids for me. My big concern is the bridge pup getting over run by the neck which is pretty typical with these. What do you guys think?

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Participant
    Registered On: November 21, 2018
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 663

A careful setup can help correct the balance issues.

As far as a recommendation?

I’m no help.  Sorry breaux.  Don’t have enough experience swapping pickups.

I like Bart’s, and Wilde.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster
    Registered On: November 13, 2018
    Topics: 45
    Replies: 2707

So I’ve got a project PJ I’m putting together and I’m looking for some recommendations/ideas. I could ask on TB but I’d end up with a bunch of posts on why PJ’s suck, or recommendations for Soapbars and of course the ever helpful do a search before I’d get 5 or 6 actual answers.

The joy of TalkBass.

Anyway, i am in the planning stage for a PJ build, I snagged a trashed body for cheap off TB and have it stripped. Staying passive with it but it does have a spot for a battery box on it so if I want to go active later I can. I’ve been thinking of a set of Dimmarzio’s. I don’t care for Duncan Quarter Pounders, way too scooped in the mids for me. My big concern is the bridge pup getting over run by the neck which is pretty typical with these. What do you guys think?

I would do a brass nut, which will help to accentuate the higher frequncies, and try using a 500k pot on the bridge pup… I’ve always wanted to try it!

Since treble frequencies cut through the bass so much easier, it stands to reason that it would give the effect of a boost on that pup.

Also, I’ll sound like a broken record here, but look into Fenders TBX tone cicuit. It’s the best bass mod on the planet for under $20.

It effectively cuts bass frequencies, which mimics a mid and treble boost. Use it on one or two pups.

Also, put a stereo jack in it, wire it VTVT and run it into a two channel amp… Like an SVT Vintage Reissue… Or a second amp all together!

I run 500K pots and a TBX on ALL of my P’s, including my G&L LB100s.

This should keep you busy for awhile

Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas. When does this happen in the movie?

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’m no help. Sorry breaux. Don’t have enough experience swapping pickups.

I agree.

That was no help at all.

lol

Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas. When does this happen in the movie?

Mktrat
    Participant
    Registered On: November 21, 2018
    Replies: 663

I agree.

That was no help at all.

lol

Perfect TB response is what I was going for.  So that’s a win right?

6 users thanked author for this post.
    TinIndian
    Participant

The joy of TalkBass.

I would do a brass nut, which will help to accentuate the higher frequncies, and try using a 500k pot on the bridge pup… I’ve always wanted to try it!

Since treble frequencies cut through the bass so much easier, it stands to reason that it would give the effect of a boost on that pup.

Also, I’ll sound like a broken record here, but look into Fenders TBX tone cicuit. It’s the best bass mod on the planet for under $20.

It effectively cuts bass frequencies, which mimics a mid and treble boost. Use it on one or two pups.

Also, put a stereo jack in it, wire it VTVT and run it into a two channel amp… Like an SVT Vintage Reissue… Or a second amp all together!

The TBX circuit sounds like an interesting idea. I was half thinking to get some SB2 pups for it.

Hmm SB2 with a TBX circuit….

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I agree.

That was no help at all.

lol

Perfect TB response is what I was going for. So that’s a win right?

lol. I try to make it just like home!!

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

The joy of TalkBass.

The TBX circuit sounds like an interesting idea. I was half thinking to get some SB2 pups for it.

Hmm SB2 with a TBX circuit….

Well both of my SB2’s had TBX circuits on them… as I said, I put them everywhere. Unfortunately… now you’re bringing up the age old, most highly controversial G&L Bass topic of all time… “issues with soloing an SB2 bridge pup”.

Seems to be the one time in the history of mankind that an MFD sounds weak.

Hell… I even thought that our beloved American Deluxe Bridge pups were weak… As seen ion this prehistoric pic.

Pool may have more history on it all.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Attachments:
    Pbassmanca
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 20

The joy of TalkBass.

I used to have a PJ Bass with a pretty standard Dunkin spb-1 split coil pickup in the standard position and then I had a J pickup spot routed in the 60’s position and I put the Dunkin hot stack J pickup in there. I found that the hot stock J pickup balanced well with the split coil neck pickup and I never had an issue with it getting overpowered. If I wanted to I would sometimes back off the neck pickup and I would get something that could pass as a dollar store Music Man sound when necessary. A lot of Beeville seem to also like the EMG Geezer Butler PJ pickup set as it apparently is balanced well and from Clips I’ve heard on YouTube it has a lot of balls….

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

The joy of TalkBass.

I used to have a PJ Bass with a pretty standard Dunkin spb-1 split coil pickup in the standard position and then I had a J pickup spot routed in the 60’s position and I put the Dunkin hot stack J pickup in there. I found that the hot stock J pickup balanced well with the split coil neck pickup and I never had an issue with it getting overpowered. If I wanted to I would sometimes back off the neck pickup and I would get something that could pass as a dollar store Music Man sound when necessary. A lot of Beeville seem to also like the EMG Geezer Butler PJ pickup set as it apparently is balanced well and from Clips I’ve heard on YouTube it has a lot of balls….

I’ve always been stuck on Duncan, but lately have been looking to try the Fender 62 pup in my battle bass.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    TinIndian
    Participant

You know the twin J on my Deluxe is pretty darn good soloed. It does have less output than the P, but really not by much. In fact a good bit of the time I’m on the J more, sometimes soloed.

Thats a pretty good idea Pbassman. I like the Duncan SPB1 and Hot Stack Jazz suggestion. I’ve thought about the Geezer set too.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

You know the twin J on my Deluxe is pretty darn good soloed. It does have less output than the P, but really not by much. In fact a good bit of the time I’m on the J more, sometimes soloed.

Thats a pretty good idea Pbassman. I like the Duncan SPB1 and Hot Stack Jazz suggestion. I’ve thought about the Geezer set too.

I would like to here that double J passive before I die.

Spidey2112
    Registered On: November 14, 2018
    Replies: 1301

I agree. That was no help at all.

Lol!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

EMG Geezer Butler PJ

Yes.

Spidey2112

I’ve always been stuck on Duncan, but lately have been looking to try the Fender 62 pup in my battle bass.

When I find time, this is going in my MIM Precision… picked them (Fender ’62 Originals) up off TB, for a pretty good price…

… otherwise, in would have went the Geezer’s.

RattFink
    Participant
    Registered On: January 2, 2019
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 267

I found the concept of the EDP LTD RB1004 interesting, but not quit pulled off.  If I had the time/money I would play around with that.

Don't believe everything you think!

WaginDingbat
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 574

The joy of TalkBass.

I think I’d be looking into Nordstrand electronics. They make killer pups.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

The joy of TalkBass.

I love Nordys!!! In my Ibanez SR1400 they rule skool!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    WaginDingbat
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 574

The joy of TalkBass.

And they make a mean P pup!
    They will even do custom spacing ETC. for Dingwall and such. They really do some top notch stuff…. imcluding work if you ever need custom shop stuff I believe Mo ever there seems to be the man.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    TinIndian
    Participant

The joy of TalkBass.

And they make a mean P pup!

They will even do custom spacing ETC. for Dingwall and such. They really do some top notch stuff…. imcluding work if you ever need custom shop stuff I believe Mo ever there seems to be the man.

I have a Nordy MM pup in my Ray 35. It is awesome!

That was actually one of my 1st choices. I should really give them a call for what they recommend.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.