Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

Let’s Talk Pedals

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club Let’s Talk Pedals

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    XXL
    Participant

The PDR seems like the compressor to have!

It’s been a one and done compression pedal purchase that’s for sure.

☕️🍺🥃

2 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Well the Doc is up to something. Not sure what the new chip will or won’t do for me but I’m digging the new knob choice.

Might have to source some for my PDR.

Just got an email that there is only one of these left.

dedpool1052

Polytune³—>Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier—>EHX Bass Soul Food—>EHX Bass Clone—>TC Sub’N’Up…

… and hell no, I still don’t have them on a board, yet.

The EHX Bass Microsynth is cool, but more specialized… has a larger footprint than the others, too.

How do you like the EHX BSF?

Sitting here like uninvited company.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

I’ve never owned an overdrive pedal for bass and don’t want to drop a lot of coin. Looking for an over driven tube amp sound (and no requirements for a fuzz).

I gather the VT bass and maybe the Ginger pedal are ways to get my feet wet.

Any other suggestions?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

I’ve never owned an overdrive pedal for bass and don’t want to drop a lot of coin. Looking for an over driven tube amp sound (and no requirements for a fuzz).

Any other suggestions?

I love the distortion from my Darkglass B7K Ultra.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

dedpool1052

Any other suggestions?

I’d look at the EHX hot tubes.

It’s a CMOS based OD, so it’s touch sensitive like a tube amp.

I’d imagine you could snag one for a decent price.

It’s on my list of pedals to buy.

dedpool1052

TDR1138
    Participant

642BE288-6293-457A-9D98-D0D03518EC76

Put this together right at the start of COVID, so I really haven’t had a chance to do much with it.
    TU-2 into TC Spark into TC Spectracomp into Solid Gold FX Beta into Boss PQ-3B to DI.
    Basically gives a mix of tone shaping, compression and soft OD for playing direct into a PA.

I wouldn’t mind moving the PQ-3B and DI off in favor of a combined unit. Possibly a MXR M-81, maybe a Sansamp, or if Boney wants to unload the Shiftline for the price of a new Sansamp…  😀   Spark may or may not stay. Sounds good with some basses, thin with others.
    And I kind of want a Cog T16.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Yeah, I’m pretty damn happy with the Shift Line so far, and wonder why I waited so long to get one when it so obviously ticked all the boxes.

It’s funny, though.  Between using the effects loop in my noise gate and the effects loop in the Shift Line, I’d probably have a mental breakdown trying to draw out my signal chain.  But I know the general order of things.

Ah fuck it, let’s try:

Tuner –> Noise Gate in –> Noise Gate send –> HPF –> SLO pre/eq –> SLO send –> VT Bass DI –> Photon Death Ray –> Noise Gate return –> Noise Gate out –> SLO return –> SLO cab sim / DI / Headphones.

Spidey2112

Polytune³—>Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier—>EHX Bass Soul Food—>EHX Bass Clone—>TC Sub’N’Up…

… and hell no, I still don’t have them on a board, yet.

The EHX Bass Microsynth is cool, but more specialized… has a larger footprint than the others, too.

How do you like the EHX BSF?

Sorry, Pool… I’m not a pedal junkie like most of you (read, Bonin), so I don’t get over here often…

Yes, I like it a lot!  Nice to have a pad switch on it, when I use an active bass, and the blend control is a nice feature, as well… I tend to set it at about 11 o’clock… Now that we’re guitarless in Slipstream, the pedals will hopefully enhance the songs and fill in some of the vacancies left, by Waldo.

Still haven’t put any of the pedals in a practice/gig session, so it’ll be a learning experience, regarding that.

The price was right, too.  I didn’t want to go overboard (don’t need a ton of distortion), getting something I didn’t need, or use, and paying out the nose for it.

Hope that helped, Pool.

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Spidey2112

Tuner –> Noise Gate in –> Noise Gate send –> HPF –> SLO pre/eq –> SLO send –> VT Bass DI –> Photon Death Ray –> Noise Gate return –> Noise Gate out –> SLO return –> SLO cab sim / DI / Headphones.

Aaaannnndddd, confirmed.

dedpool1052

Hope that helped, Pool.

👍

Jeff Preston
    Participant

642BE288-6293-457A-9D98-D0D03518EC76<noscript>&lt;img class=”gdbbx-bbcode-attachment-image” alt=”642BE288-6293-457A-9D98-D0D03518EC76″ src=”https://i2.wp.com/sctmmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/642BE288-6293-457A-9D98-D0D03518EC76-rotated.jpeg?fit=4032%2C3024&amp;ssl=1&#8243; /&gt;</noscript>

Put this together right at the start of COVID, so I really haven’t had a chance to do much with it.

TU-2 into TC Spark into TC Spectracomp into Solid Gold FX Beta into Boss PQ-3B to DI.

Basically gives a mix of tone shaping, compression and soft OD for playing direct into a PA.

I wouldn’t mind moving the PQ-3B and DI off in favor of a combined unit. Possibly a MXR M-81, maybe a Sansamp, or if Boney wants to unload the Shiftline for the price of a new Sansamp… 😀 Spark may or may not stay. Sounds good with some basses, thin with others.

And I kind of want a Cog T16.

How do you like the SpectraComp? It seems to get a lot of mixed reviews.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

TDR1138
    Participant

I’m not a big comp user, and it’s the only comp I’ve owned, so keep that in mind.

It has a ton of options with the TonePrint and the editor software (which I don’t really feel the need to try).  I’ve tried a lot of the TonePrints, found one I like (parallel comper), and just left it at that.  I use it as an always on limiter/enhancer, and it does that well with the knob below 12:00.  Over 12:00, it starts getting over squashed quickly.

Some of the tone prints have big volume boosts when engaging, others not so much, so if you switch it on/off throughout a set, that could be problematic or limit your options.

It’s cheap and small and can be fairly simple to use with a lot of preset flexibility. Though the TonePrint isn’t something you can switch at a gig, as you have to feed a digital sonic code though your instrument’s pickups to change it.
    It does what I need it to do (smooth things out). Do I feel particularly inspired by it?  No. But do I feel the need to buy something else?  No, though I do occasionally look around.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

I’m not a big comp user, and it’s the only comp I’ve owned, so keep that in mind.

It has a ton of options with the TonePrint and the editor software (which I don’t really feel the need to try). I’ve tried a lot of the TonePrints, found one I like (parallel comper), and just left it at that. I use it as an always on limiter/enhancer, and it does that well with the knob below 12:00. Over 12:00, it starts getting over squashed quickly.

Some of the tone prints have big volume boosts when engaging, others not so much, so if you switch it on/off throughout a set, that could be problematic or limit your options.

It’s cheap and small and can be fairly simple to use with a lot of preset flexibility. Though the TonePrint isn’t something you can switch at a gig, as you have to feed a digital sonic code though your instrument’s pickups to change it.

It does what I need it to do (smooth things out). Do I feel particularly inspired by it? No. But do I feel the need to buy something else? No, though I do occasionally look around.

That’s the kinda review I need to hear.

I’m trying to decide if I want to go back to separate pedals or just keep using the GT-1B as my main effects unit. The only reasons I’m leaning towards staying with the GT-1B is because there’s no way I could afford (or even really need) all of the built in effects.

The only real need/want I have is to come up with a couple of decent synth sounds. I get nice clean and distorted tones from my B7K Ultra.

So, I might be keeping my eyes open for decent compressor, octaver and chorus/reverb pedals to go along with my B7K Ultra and Fuzzmo pedals. This would give me everything I would probably ever need in separate pedals.

Or, I might just need to spend more time with the GT-1B and save my duckets (probably what I’ll end up doing unless I find some pedal deals I can’t refuse).

JP

5 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

Yes, I like it a lot!  Nice to have a pad switch on it, when I use an active bass, and the blend control is a nice feature, as well… I tend to set it at about 11 o’clock…

Would you say it gives an amp like warmth and break-up?

XXL
    Participant

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/monocomp

Monocomp eh

☕️🍺🥃

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/monocomp

Monocomp eh

That sounds good on paper.  I think I’m all set on comps, though.

Spidey2112

Would you say it gives an amp like warmth and break-up?

As soon as I find out what this means, I’ll give you a proper response…

… in the interim, enjoy the sarcasm.

dedpool1052

Amp like warmth and break-up,

Sounds warm like a proper tube amp, and breaks up when pushed.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.