Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

Let’s Talk Pedals

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club Let’s Talk Pedals

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 341 total)
  • Author
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I think there’s lots of fun to be had by mixing different flavors of distortion.  It’s one of the reasons I’m interested in that Ashdown Triple Shot.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

As-in, running them together?

Or having both on your pedalboard?

Running them together.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

4 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Anyone ever see the need to use distortion along with some fuzz, or would the fuzz be redundant?

I’ve done that a number of times in my band. But I always enjoy the definition of less effects. My lines are distinct, meaning that I’m not just doubling the guitars, so I like them to be heard.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Anyone ever see the need to use distortion along with some fuzz, or would the fuzz be redundant?

I’ve done that a number of times in my band. But I always enjoy the definition of less effects. My lines are distinct, meaning that I’m not just doubling the guitars, so I like them to be heard.

I was always a less-is-more player before joining my current Worship Team. We have several campuses with a band at each one. Most of the other bass players have a modest to moderate pedal board.
    Found out I really love a decent amount of grind most of the time now and it fits right in with our style of music.
    We’re adding in some synth bass lately as well. I bought the GT-1B since it has the tools to create realistic sounding synth bass sounds. Ian Martin Allison has some really good stuff in that regard. Super dude, too.
    Probably going to keep what I have for now unless I find some great deals on an octaver, envelope filter and reverb pedals.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

5 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

Running them together.

Gotcha.

Fuzz & distortion together is not for me.

However, running two overdrives, or an overdrive and a distortion together is pretty cool.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Running them together.

Gotcha.

Fuzz & distortion together is not for me.

However, running two overdrives, or an overdrive and a distortion together is pretty cool.

I haven’t tried the OD on my B7K Ultra with the Fuzzmo yet. Might give it a shot and see how I feel about it.

JP

metron
    Participant

I tend to not affect my signal much and was 100% plug and play until the last few years. Now I appreciate compressors and a little HPF. My chain goes:

Turbo tuner > Boughton HPF > Alpha Omicron > Damnation MBD-1 > FEA Optifet comp

I never use the dirts but they are nice to have. The HPF is set to not change how my signal actually sounds and the comp is just triggered lightly though I have been increasing my compression a little lately and liking the results. So for me it’s mostly just utility pedals. Don’t need any of them but with some judicious use, they can improve my sound for sure. In the days of gigging I had my Type 85 or Type 10 Countryman at the end of the chain too.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

haven’t tried the OD on my B7K Ultra with the Fuzzmo yet. Might give it a shot and see how I feel about it.

If it’s anything like when I ran my B3K into my Bass Big Muff, there was some added presence and clarity.

I’ve run my MBD-1 into the B3K as well.

The MBD-1 brings the beef.

The B3K gives it that “lil extra” up top.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

I really dig the B7K Ultra. I’ve had the SansAmp Deluxe longer, but I think I get some better tones outta the DG. The Distortion is unbeatable imho. Plus, I really like the blended clean and dirty with the DG.

JP

Jim C
    Participant

No dirt here.

Either Doc Loyd compression although recently went back to my ancient big box MXR M143.     Always an f’Deck HPF (with the SWR heads because you have to unless you want to make mud).   Don’t like the Linden although haven’t had it long.   Considering a Ginger pedal for a bit of overdrive.

Spidey2112

Polytune³—>Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier—>EHX Bass Soul Food—>EHX Bass Clone—>TC Sub’N’Up…

… and hell no, I still don’t have them on a board, yet.

The EHX Bass Microsynth is cool, but more specialized… has a larger footprint than the others, too.

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Polytune³—>Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier—>EHX Bass Soul Food—>EHX Bass Clone—>TC Sub’N’Up…

… and hell no, I still don’t have them on a board, yet.

The EHX Bass Microsynth is cool, but more specialized… has a larger footprint than the others, too.

I’ve never used any EHX gear. Heard they’re pretty noisy. Any truth to that?

JP

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

My only EHX gear is my noise gate itself.  Uh huh.  Alanis wrote a song about it.

Spidey2112

I’m sorry, what?

Spidey2112

Jethro, I’ll let you know if I ever get them in a gig situation.  Practice wise, the only noise I’ve heard is when I’m rotating the tone pot on my SB-2T.

Still4strings
    Participant

My only EHX gear is my noise gate itself. Uh huh. Alanis wrote a song about it.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

fcleff69

Not entirely. I’ve had several EHX pedals that were all super quiet: Memory Man with Hazarai, Deluxe Bass Big Muff, Soul Food, etc. all had no issues with noise.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant
    Still4strings
    Participant

My jokes aren’t often funny, but when they open the door to something hilarious, it’s all worth it.

We’re all one big ensemble.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

MVIMG_20200731_134036_compress29

7 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.