Menu Close

Ibanez SR805… active to active/passive conversion?

Home Forums Tech Forum Ibanez SR805… active to active/passive conversion?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Spidey2112

Purchased my SR805 back in ’17, from Sweetwater.  These were being discontinued, and were nicely discounted to move quickly.

Snag.  Mine.  Received an even better discount afterward, based on problems I had found (and resolved myself) with the instrument.  The barrel jack was both bad AND miswired.  Let’s put it this way, if Sweetwater was truly performing their much acclaimed… (trumpet fanfare)… 55 point inspection, they should have caught both of these deficiencies, just like I did.

I wonder whether my part time stint and subsequent discount with Sweetwater’s repair division qualified as extra wages?  Oh well…

Here’s the rub.  The SR805 is strictly active… battery removed?  Nada.

I contacted Ibanez (it takes them a couple of days, but they will get back with you) and they suggested gutting the electronics, and replacing preamp and components.  I believe they quoted around ~$125.

$125?  For the a new preamp?  The existing volume, blend, bass/mid/treble pots and a dual freq switch should all be good to go with a new preamp, right?  The pickups are a pair of Bart MK1’s.  Maybe they meant an already configured preamp with wiring harness and components?

Anyways, I really like this bass for a 5’er.  I just don’t want to put a bunch into this, if there’s a cheaper alternative I can implement.

Go ahead and talk amongst yourselves, but leave your inner thoughts within the annals of this chamber.  If you hear an echo, leave more.

*FWIW, I believe Ibanez sent me the wiring diagram for an SR805, but I’m pretty sure the preamp (ICE III?) is the brains of this outfit, with all components providing input to it, and it alone.

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Spidey2112

A member on TB suggested the innards of a EHB1005ms.  Aren’t these the newer headless offering from Ibanez, and he’s already changed the stock preamp out?*

*For a John East, I believe.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

If you’re sure you need a preamp, I have a Seymour Duncan 3 band Amy sent me when he was cleaning house.

it has a push/ pull volume?, a stand alone, and a concentric for I’m guessing bass mid & treb. it’s yours if you want it.

DSC03282

“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?”
    ― George Carlin

Spidey2112

If you’re sure you need a preamp, I have a Seymour Duncan 3 band Amy sent me when he was cleaning house.

it has a push/ pull volume?, a stand alone, and a concentric for I’m guessing bass mid & treb. it’s yours if you want it.

DSC03282

Appreciate the offer, Andy!  Going to try and contact Ibanez one more time, and see if I can get more detailed info on a substitute pre which can still utilize the hardware I currently have.  I’ll keep it in mind, though.

Andyman001
    Participant

DSC03282

After looking for the wiring diagram, probably volume – blend – bass/treble

JazzBass_STC3P

― George Carlin

Spidey2112

Andy, I don’t even think that will fit in the existing cavity.  It’s pretty tight in there…

… wait for it.

Spidey2112

DSC03282

After looking for the wiring diagram, probably volume – blend – bass/treble

JazzBass_STC3P

Well, hold on a sec… now, it’s looking interesting.  Am I seeing right?  The push/pull volume with either make it active or passive?  Separate mid, and a dual function concentric treble/bass?

Now I gotta measure.  Lol!

Andyman001
    Participant

yeah, after looking at again, no blend. you could use existing.

Andy, I don’t even think that will fit in the existing cavity. It’s pretty tight in there…

… wait for it.

TWSS

🙂

take a pic of the backside (Tee hee hee), control cavity should be close to my SR 405, or 506

― George Carlin

Spidey2112

… take a pic of the backside (Tee hee hee), control cavity should be close to my SR 405, or 506

I’m putting money down they’re all the same.  Lol!

Will do, Andy.  Now, where did I leave that pic of Amy’s hairy good side?

Spidey2112

Found the email I sent to Ibanez USA, and their responses.  According to Ibanez, this is what’s currently in my SR805, serial number dependent.

Single unit preamp, with associated hardware included:

image001

Here’s what they proposed at the time:

image002

Modular concept… read, $$$.

I’m going to contact an Ibanez dealer that’s in close proximity to my home web, and see if they can come up with a quote for what’s shown.

Give me a sec, and I’ll get a pic of the cavity.

Spidey2112

Notice almost each pot has its own PCB, in the modular version, where the original did not.  I really can’t picture all of that fitting in there…

… wait for it.

Spidey2112

IMG_20210103_1118142572

About a little over 1.25″ in depth.  Re the pic, about 3 1/16″ from top to route for mid pot, and about 4 3/4″ from upper left to lower right.  I didn’t take into account the angled slope of the wall housing the barrel jack.

Andyman001
    Participant

Mine is much more roomy with the older side jack. the push/ pull pot is deepest, at just under 1-3/16″.

DSC03284

― George Carlin

Spidey2112

Andy, is what Amy gave you a STC-2P or STC-3P?

Spidey2112

https://reverb.com/item/31756081-aguilar-obp-3-custom-kit-for-2-pickup-5-knob-2-switch-configuration-v-bl-t-m-b-msw-apsw

I wish this was cheaper, but everything is there.  The module has a small footprint, so that handles the cramped quarters issue.  Anyone have any experience with the Aguilar OBP-3?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

https://reverb.com/item/31756081-aguilar-obp-3-custom-kit-for-2-pickup-5-knob-2-switch-configuration-v-bl-t-m-b-msw-apsw

I wish this was cheaper, but everything is there. The module has a small footprint, so that handles the cramped quarters issue. Anyone have any experience with the Aguilar OBP-3?

So much. I can’t even tell you how many of these I’ve installed. I was an Aguilar dealer (along with Bartolini, EMG, and SD) back in the day. The OBP-3 was my favorite preamp.

I might even still have some, but probably not the pots and switches. Let me know if you’re interested.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

Andyman001
    Participant

Andy, is what Amy gave you a STC-2P or STC-3P?

I have no clue.

― George Carlin

Mktrat
    Keymaster

I wish this was cheaper, but everything is there. The module has a small footprint, so that handles the cramped quarters issue. Anyone have any experience with the Aguilar OBP-3?

I have one in the twisted ‘Wick.  It’s solid.  No complaints.

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

Spidey2112

I have one in the twisted ‘Wick. It’s solid. No complaints.

Thanks for the input, Mktrat!

Spidey2112

Let me know if you’re interested.

I very well may be.  I can hunt down another black mini DPDT toggle for the active/passive option, or use the existing mid switch.  I’m thinking the existing pots can be utilized in the new configuration.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.