Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

G&L Quality Control Concerns

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club G&L Quality Control Concerns

Viewing 20 posts - 1,001 through 1,020 (of 1,024 total)
  • Author
    Jim C
    Participant

Well, the Mexicans made the real Fenders back in the day so I don’t have a problem with it. I did buy a Mexican Fender in 2018 in what was advertised as a limited edition run for GC of something like 255 P’s in Ocean Turquoise. I did catch a stupid GC end of run sale for something like $475 but in 2019 they made a pile of them. Mine is 8.6 lbs. nice finish, the edge of the neck is sharp enough to shave with and it plays “just OK”.   I believe that some of the 90’s Squiers were also just OK.

The thing I can’t understand is that the Class Vibe series are often considered the top model and are made in China.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

I sold my EBMM SR5 back in the Spring. Shipping from OH to MI was about $100 with insurance.

Spring was pre anal probe.

I kinda felt like that much money for a four hour trip was akin to being cobbed. I offered to drive and meet him half way, but, the hot Michigan Governor had the borders closed (or something like that).

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

the hot Michigan Governor

Tee Hee Hee

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Dropped off the JB this afternoon. Luthier said several of the frets were not fully seated. He’s gonna glue them and clamp them down. Level and dress the frets and do a setup.

Another $200 sunk into this money pit of a bass. I keep telling myself @Timmycliff is gonna be right and I’m gonna love this sucka when it’s finally right.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

Speaking of JB’s, do most leave the stock pups or swap them out?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

I have a custom set that I was thinking of swapping, but I think I’m gonna stay with the stock pups.
    I have a Squier Jazz body that I’m going to put them in if I ever get around to refinishing it.

JP

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I keep telling myself @Timmycliff is gonna be right

He’s a pathological liar. He hasn’t been here because he was admitted for it.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I have a custom set that I was thinking of swapping, but I think I’m gonna stay with the stock pups.

I have a Squier Jazz body that I’m going to put them in if I ever get around to refinishing it.

I’m super curious to hear someones assessment of the Jazz Vmods!!!!!!!!!!! Did @metron ever reveal the actual model of his Jazz? Ugh… this needs to be in the Fender thread… but it’s also relevant here. See, it’s not all one thread, dammit!

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

fcleff69

The saga continues:
    As many of you know, there were a couple of mistakes on my SB-1 build sheet: they listed the fingerboard as rosewood instead of ebony; they listed white pearl inlay dots instead of no top dots.
    My dealer either couldn’t get a reply from G&L about correcting the mistakes or they just didn’t try very hard.
    Yesterday Quattrocordes recommended I post my complaint on their Instagram account. I did and they responded quickly, letting me know that they would fix it.
    Today Ron Moreno called me and asked what needed to be fixed. I told him and sent him picture of the build sheet, headstock serial number, and the bass. He said he would correct it and get it in the mail to me.
    The odd part was when he asked for the serial number so he could look up the bass. I told him, “CLF*****” and he asked for the rest of it. I said that was it and read it again. Then I checked the headstock and the build sheet. They matched. “Okay, that’s really odd. There should be two more numbers and it’s not coming up in our records.”
    Anyhow, they are going with that number and are sending me a correct (hopefully) build sheet.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

8 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

Cool. It’s about time!

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

Jeff Preston
    Participant

The saga continues:

As many of you know, there were a couple of mistakes on my SB-1 build sheet: they listed the fingerboard as rosewood instead of ebony; they listed white pearl inlay dots instead of no top dots.

My dealer either couldn’t get a reply from G&L about correcting the mistakes or they just didn’t try very hard.

Yesterday Quattrocordes recommended I post my complaint on their Instagram account. I did and they responded quickly, letting me know that they would fix it.

Today Ron Moreno called me and asked what needed to be fixed. I told him and sent him picture of the build sheet, headstock serial number, and the bass. He said he would correct it and get it in the mail to me.

The odd part was when he asked for the serial number so he could look up the bass. I told him, “CLF*****” and he asked for the rest of it. I said that was it and read it again. Then I checked the headstock and the build sheet. They matched. “Okay, that’s really odd. There should be two more numbers and it’s not coming up in our records.”

Anyhow, they are going with that number and are sending me a correct (hopefully) build sheet.

Gotta love that good old G&L QC! Can’t even get their serial numbers correct!

JP

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

They found a way to phuc up ink on paper.  My God, when does it stop?

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

They found a way to phuc up ink on paper. My God, when does it stop?

Lol. Ultimately, I’m glad they reached out and said they would fix the issue.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

Jim C
    Participant

The saga continues:

Such a disappointment. Really sorry to hear about the drama but maybe there’s light ahead.

OTOH, you saw that video of the shop where shit is stacked on top of other shit, loose paper kicking around, no real QC department and I don’t recall seeing a well thought out assembly area.  The spray booth was probably the most impressive simply because there were some bodies hanging that looked great.  If Fender had any brains, they would pay the painter $250K to stay home and not paint for G&L.     And it’s not just me, right,  You guys that have come from manufacturing, R&D, fabrication, etc. thought that video showed a poorly set up shop floor?     I’ve always believed in an afterlife, but for Leo’s sake, I hope I’m wrong. Disgraceful

Jeff Preston
    Participant

The saga continues:

Such a disappointment. Really sorry to hear about the drama but maybe there’s light ahead.

OTOH, you saw that video of the shop where shit is stacked on top of other shit, loose paper kicking around, no real QC department and I don’t recall seeing a well thought out assembly area. The spray booth was probably the most impressive simply because there were some bodies hanging that looked great. If Fender had any brains, they would pay the painter $250K to stay home and not paint for G&L. And it’s not just me, right, You guys that have come from manufacturing, R&D, fabrication, etc. thought that video showed a poorly set up shop floor? I’ve always believed in an afterlife, but for Leo’s sake, I hope I’m wrong. Disgraceful

I thought the same thing. I shuddered when I saw all of the bodies and necks just stacked on top of each other. Seemingly no rhyme or reason to any of it.

I would love to have the chance to go back to Cali, Cali, Cali and get their QC up to snuff.

JP

Jim C
    Participant

And the thing is, they really don’t have a huge product line. As far as US made 5 guitars and 5 basses. How did these chuckle heads get control the company? Must be nepotisin.  At their current price structure and with good management they would be a manufacturer to be reckoned with as opposed to laughed at.

Then again maybe the salaries reflect the quality.   Or BBE is looking for an active loss statement every month?    And think if they actually had distribution.

dedpool1052

At their current price structure and with good management they would be a manufacturer to be reckoned with as opposed to laughed at.

That’s the rub.

For the most part, we all love G&L, but they have issues (QC/communication) that they need to fix.

If they were on top of their QC/communication, I’d have no problem ordering a new build.

As is, I’d rather buy used until they figure it out.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

The saga continues:

Give me the rest of the serial number. I wish to  fly you to Africa and trade places with me. I’m a Nigerian Prince!

... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Dammit! I should’ve said that I was someone an American would want to trade with.

... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

They found a way to phuc up ink on paper. My God, when does it stop?

It stops when they go to sell themselves to some finance investment firm, and then when the buyer researches them, they find our website.

... Al Capone

Viewing 20 posts - 1,001 through 1,020 (of 1,024 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.