Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

G&L Quality Control Concerns

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club G&L Quality Control Concerns

Viewing 20 posts - 921 through 940 (of 983 total)
  • Author
    Spidey2112

What if your newish G&L bass had a rattling truss rod? Only on the G string when fretting C, C#, D, and D#. It’s not audible when playing through an amp, but acoustically it’s really loud. Quirky G&L trait or roll the dice and send it back? There are many things about this bass that are perfect and I’m afraid some of the goodness will go away while fixing this issue. Thoughts?

https://www.bassesbyleo.com/trussrod.html

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Spidey2112

Can’t remember if you bought it new, or not… newish could still be used.

Warranty issue?  If so, I’d put it back on them.  Any G&L Authorized Repair shops near you?

Andyman001
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. The tuning keys was a great suggestion but they are tight and rattle free. Have been playing almost exclusively through an amp. Noticed it last night acoustically. Very slightly tried tightening and loosing the truss rod and no difference. It sounds loudest somewhere around the neck joint. The neck screws are tight and I pressed on the pickups as the sound is a little “boingy” so thought it could be mounting springs. Pressing there and on the bridge makes no difference. Somewhat quieter when strings are facing straight up instead of the normal pointing outward orientation…

Try a full 1/4 turn. that much tension should prevent any sympathetic vibrations, and confirm it is the trussrod.

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

3 users thanked author for this post.
    metron
    Participant

I missed like 7 pages. I assume QC is fine now? Or are the 5 string bridges still lifting?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

I missed like 7 pages. I assume QC is fine now? Or are the 5 string bridges still lifting?

I’m doing well, thank you.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

7 users thanked author for this post.
    metron
    Participant

Whew thats twice in one day! What’s next? Thrice?

Still4strings
    Participant

I hope it ends there, because I don’t know the word for whatever comes after thrice.

fcleff69

Be careful when you get to Quattro.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

Be careful when you get to Quattro.

TWSS

Jim C
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. The tuning keys was a great suggestion but they are tight and rattle free. Have been playing almost exclusively through an amp. Noticed it last night acoustically. Very slightly tried tightening and loosing the truss rod and no difference. It sounds loudest somewhere around the neck joint. The neck screws are tight and I pressed on the pickups as the sound is a little “boingy” so thought it could be mounting springs. Pressing there and on the bridge makes no difference. Somewhat quieter when strings are facing straight up instead of the normal pointing outward orientation…

Try a full 1/4 turn. that much tension should prevent any sympathetic vibrations, and confirm it is the trussrod.

This makes so much sense.  The truss rod is tight and I’m using a Bondhaus screw driver like tool.  The tool bends reasonably easily but I got a full 1/4 turn on it. Actually preferred the action better.   But the fucking rattle is still there.  Back it off 1/2 a turn and now other fretted notes will make it vibrate.     I’m really unhappy about this.    I’ve owned well over 25 basses and this is the only one with a rattle. And it cost the most.   Kinda sorry I got involved with G&L.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

That sucks.

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

Yeah it does.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

JB with the new neck arrived today. Just about nine weeks from the day I shipped it until it arrived back to me. Neck looks great. Quartersawn like it was supposed to be. Fretwork looks great. Neck feels good in the hand. Haven’t had time to plug it in, yet.

When I sent it to them, it had at least two rattling clover keys. They all feel nice and snug. Haven’t looked too closely, so I don’t know if they put super glue on them or if they just used new ones. Gonna put the Hipshot D-tuner back on it if I’m up to it after surgery in the next few days. I’ll look closer then.

Overall, a super positive experience so far. Need to give the truss rod a couple of bumps each way just to see how it feels. The setup feels pretty good, though, so I almost hate to move it. Probably will just to confirm it’s in good shape.

Only thing I would’ve liked better is for Memo to return emails a little faster. I can’t complain at all, though. I am not the original owner of this beauty and they fixed it for the cost of shipping it to them.

Once again, a story showing they have the potential for extreme greatness if only they really want to make it happen.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

6 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Only thing I would’ve liked better is for Memo to return emails a little faster.

I’m glad you have had an overall good experience. I never got an email returned. They communicated with my dealer,  but just barely.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Only thing I would’ve liked better is for Memo to return emails a little faster.

I’m glad you have had an overall good experience. I never got an email returned. They communicated with my dealer, but just barely.

Since I bought my JB used, I had the benefit (?) of working directly with G&L (i.e. Memo). He really seems like a super dude. I just wonder if he isn’t overwhelmed with all of the work the repair team has at any given time.

At any rate, I’m totally grateful they fixed the neck for me. They didn’t have to do it at all.

Can’t wait to plug it in and see if they fixed the grounding😁.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Jim C
    Participant

That sucks.

Yeah it does.

I just got so pissed about all of this.  I don’t feel like dealing with all the BS that certainly lurks ahead. Looks like one of my construction jobs is going to come in under budget. Fuck it; just bought a Sandberg Electra (J bass style) off of Reverb. I have the matching P and it is awesome.      https://reverb.com/item/25349801-sandberg-electra-tt4-s-n-21972-2014-tobacco-matte

I do like the G&L neck shape better but the US JB rattles and the Tribute JB2 has a ski jump.    I feel like 0 for 2 with G&L.
    And where is Army with some encouraging words about my bad day?  Not sure what bad thing happened to him but hope he is alright.

Spidey2112

… but hope he is alright.

Ditto.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Today I ordered some stock strap buttons from G&L for my 1981 Wunkay. And I’ll be dipped in dog shit, they shipped today. Wish they could get my SB-1 happening that fast.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Today I ordered some stock strap buttons from G&L for my 1981 Wunkay. And I’ll be dipped in dog shit, they shipped today. Wish they could get my SB-1 happening that fast.

Heh, yup.  Same thing when I ordered some pots a month or two back.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

And where is Army with some encouraging words about my bad day? Not sure what bad thing happened to him but hope he is alright.

Howdy all. The last few months have been challenging, testing my faith in humanity, even if for no other reason than, for the 4th year in a row, I’m working 16 hour days, 7 days a week, in 95 degree temps, with high humidity, doing hard labor.

In some respects, it’s a great thing. Hard work reaps many rewards, primarily to take my mind off tragedy. However, by a strange twist of fate all of my beloved pets, died within hours of each other, in a very horrific accident. I was already giving the world the middle finger when it happened… so…

There are no words of wisdom for this.

Glad to see you all hear, happy, healthy, relatively at reduced stress levels. What to say about G&L? Well, I’ve already punched them in the face, so I sympathize with those of you, who I wasn’t able to defend with my might. I truly love G&L, but they are the vagina of instruments; I’m dying to get my hands on one, but it brings nothing but trouble.

As with all battles of insurmountable odds, taking on G&L will require a united front, and right now, I don’t see unity anywhere in the world, so, we’ll just have to continue playing the role of French Resistance, until (if and when) the allies arrive to join us. As it sits, most of the people complaining about G&L are newbs, but I do see the “big fans” losing patience at a steady pace.

I don’t see myself ever building a new G&L again, which  is odd, because I fully intended to spend the remainder of my life doing so. At first, it was because I was concerned, now, it’s just because they don’t deserve my patronage. I don’t mind claiming that, because the ball is in their court. If they miss me and my spokesman-ship, then they can stop fucking everyone with their BS, and start paying attention.

I’ve approached the point where I can turn any Fender into what I want out of a bass, and although I think Fender are a bunch of gerks too, at least I know that their used market is glorious, and their reliability is infinite. I’m confident that G&L will come around someday, but my need to be their guniea pig is over, and this forum with be the tiny splinter, which will grow into the big infection that they’ll regret ignoring.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Viewing 20 posts - 921 through 940 (of 983 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.