Menu Close

G&L Quality Control Concerns

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club G&L Quality Control Concerns

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 963 total)
  • Author
    soulman
    Participant

I’ll detail my first G&L experience in this thread, soon… for now, I couldn’t put a complete sentence together, if I wanted to.

OK but you’re assuming being able to do that otherwise is typical for you.  Is that correct?  😆  😆

Nothing like starting the day off with a healthy dose of sarcasm I say.   :mrgreen:

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

A great product can be hurt badly due to a loss of reputation over service, QC, or CS related issues.

When something is great, I give credit where credit is due…

When something is crap, I give credit where credit is due…

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Spidey2112

Nothing like starting the day off with a healthy dose of sarcasm I say.

Agreed, Sir Gerkenwacker of the High Order of Fecal Followers.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Well, as I said, I’m working on it. Creating the dedicated G&L thread to track the issues was the first step.

Thanks, Amy!

Step two is underway. News to follow.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Update: The latest is the Kilo is on it’s way back and should arrive late next week at which point I’ll now whether they simply replaced the neck or shipped a new bass. So the turn around @ G&L was a about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Anticipation sets in.

Why wouldn’t they tell you, up front, as to what they did… before it even shipped? Surprise! Here it is!

Serious… I’m not even close to getting the big picture on this stuff. Calculus was easier.

Well, as I said, I’m working on it. Creating the dedicated G&L thread to track the issues was the first step.

And I feel this was a wise idea Spartacus. If we can develop an archived history of service and/or QC related issues it not only helps us but it should also help G&L as well.

Many of us here are in or have been in lead or management positions and realize the value of an outside perspective on our performance in those areas. A great product can be hurt badly due to a loss of reputation over service, QC, or CS related issues.

Well I still need to tweak the website visibility settings before this forum will be “right”, but in the meantime, I’ve taken my G&L approach to corporate. I’ll keep you posted.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Spidey2112

Well I still need to tweak the website visibility settings before this forum will be “right”, but in the meantime, I’ve taken my G&L approach to corporate. I’ll keep you posted.

I hope they’ll be listening.  Thanks, bro!

Spidey2112

If you need my warranty card, let me know.

soulman
    Participant

A great product can be hurt badly due to a loss of reputation over service, QC, or CS related issues.

When something is great, I give credit where credit is due…

When something is crap, I give credit where credit is due…

As it should be.

Honest criticism can be a very effective way to bring about change which I believe we all hope that is what this particular thread may help to accomplish.  It’s purpose is not to bash G&L or their product.  Many of us are G&L players and fiercely support their products.

Since we’re now public I should also note that this thread deals only with service or QC issues which by no means impact all G&L instruments.  Praise is given in the main G&L thread whereas the specific purpose of this thread is to separate out any issues that may help G&L, it’s dealers, and owners to deal with problem areas that might be improved.

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant

Nothing like starting the day off with a healthy dose of sarcasm I say.

Agreed, Sir Gerkenwacker of the High Order of Fecal Followers.

A title…..a title…..I’ve finally earned a title!!!!

You may now all address me as Your Lordship.

Spidey2112

It’s purpose is not to bash G&L or their product.

My original statement was in general.  Not bashing G&L… trying to keep data both the good, and bad, factual.

You know nirvana will be achieved, when both the good, and bad, come together to make something better for all.

soulman
    Participant

It’s purpose is not to bash G&L or their product.

My original statement was in general. Not bashing G&L… trying to keep data both the good, and bad, factual.

You know nirvana will be achieved, when both the good, and bad, come together to make something better for all.

No, no I didn’t mean you or that you were.  I phrased it more as a clarification for others once we’re public 100% of the time in this forum.  We already know the score.

We should be honest and factual in any of our critiques or this whole idea goes for naught.

Spidey2112

We should be honest and factual in any of our critiques or this whole idea goes for naught.

Agree.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

If you need my warranty card, let me know.

I will definitely let you know if we need the “golden arrow”. Hopefully, we wont have to wake the Kraken on this one

... Al Capone

fcleff69

Sir Gerkenwacker of the High Order of Fecal Followers.

Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa. I don’t recall anyone other than me being knighted around here. So quit slinging titles like free fries.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

The last two times I have contacted Ron @ G&L, I have not received a response… and this, AFTER we had a plan in place for resolution.

Something is fishy, in Fullerton… or Denmark… whichever is closer.

Jason Mendelson
    Participant

The last two times I have contacted Ron @ G&L, I have not received a response… and this, AFTER we had a plan in place for resolution. Something is fishy, in Fullerton… or Denmark… whichever is closer.

It is holiday season.  I haven’t gotten much contact from anyone there.  Not being ignored, but tis the season…

soulman
    Participant

Now that the issue with Kilo has been resolved I should sum the experience up here as it relates as much to CS as it does QC but in neither case is it horrible.  Just some things I might suggest G&L pay some attention to in the future to improve their approach to this.

From my previous post we know the truss rod nut could not adjust the truss rod because the allen wrench would not engage in the nut.  The reason for this couldn’t be determine either by me or the dealers tech but a reasonable guess may be that the bullet the nut sits inside of was not allowing the correct size wrench to drop in far enough to engage or the nut itself was bad.

G&L did not provide any explanation to the dealer and simply chose to replace the entire bass rather than to repair or replace the neck.  My only suggestion would be that G&L might be better off inspecting the Tributes in Fullerton before shipping them to their dealers especially those dealers who are not as local as Fret Nation.  This could have been caught.

Upon inspection and playing them I felt that neither of the two basses shipped to replace mine were it’s equivalent either cosmetically or tonally so I opted for a 2018 Irish Ale model the dealer had in stock as a replacement.  It simply sounded and played better which of course could be true of most any bass so no complaint.  I believe I came out ahead on this.

The major cosmetic difference was the Brazilian Cherry fret board on these newer 2019 models was not the same dark chocolate brown as my original bass which was also a 2018. The wood had a distinctive reddish hue and was much lighter than the one on mine. I don’t normally get hung up on little stuff but with the white body it somehow looked off.

Whether Cortek was previously darkening the fret boards or it’s simply caused by the variation in the wood supply I can’t say but the current ones were less attractive and I found them different enough to comment on it.  FWIW if G&L has any control over this I would suggest they go back to using the darker brown tinted board as pictured on their website.

My only other issue is that initially assuming they would simply replace the neck and send it back as received I didn’t remove the set of flats I had on it or the upgraded end pins on the body.  This wasn’t a crisis since I had other strings and can easily replace the end pins but from a CS perspective IMHO that small attention to detail shouldn’t have been overlooked.

The dealer said he would ask G&L to send out a new set of flats and that’s fine if they do and if not I won’t ding them for it any more than I have here but it’s those little things that a top notch company does that sets it apart so this is only mentioned as a suggestion for a way to improve those little things that do make a difference.  It’s not meant as a major criticism.

Overall the entire process took a month but my bass would only have been at G&L for about half that time due to shipping and the Thanksgiving holiday also fell in the midst.  White Kilos were also on back order initially which could also have caused a delay since they replaced the entire bass not just the neck.  So IMHO G&L scores high on the turnaround.

In summary no one from the dealer to G&L “fell down on the job”.  Overall things were taken care of very professionally and my suggestions are more minor niggles offered only as suggestions for improvement not as major criticism.  Had I actually played the 2018 Irish Ale the day I brought my bass in for service I would have had it a month ago but I also felt G&L deserved it’s shot at making things right with me via their warranty and in that regard I feel they did what they could do as quickly as they could do it so again no complaints.

I’m quite pleased with the new bass and FWIW I believe the MFD pickup may benefit more in the ash body than in the basswood body.  Pickups as dynamic tonally as MFDs do tend to voice a bit differently in various body woods and my opinion now with experience with both body woods is that in the ash body the tone is more full top and bottom, less middy, and has more clarity.

The end.    :mrgreen:

Jason Mendelson
    Participant

Why the dealer didn’t just take care of you on a set of strings and deal with G&L on the back end I don’t know…

Spidey2112

The last two times I have contacted Ron @ G&L, I have not received a response… and this, AFTER we had a plan in place for resolution. Something is fishy, in Fullerton… or Denmark… whichever is closer.

It is holiday season. I haven’t gotten much contact from anyone there. Not being ignored, but tis the season…

Understood.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Why the dealer didn’t just take care of you on a set of strings and deal with G&L on the back end I don’t know…

I think that it’s important to note in here, that we’re trying to compile experiences and feedback here, so that we can help G&L, which in turn helps us. Looking at soulmans experience, it’s easy to see that this is what let me to G&L in the first place… OPTIONS.

And it’s why I go crazy with pickguards… That’s in my opinion, where G&L drops the ball.

Every customer is entitled to a great playing, sounding, and looking bass… and when any of those elements are off, it’ll rock the boat.

... Al Capone

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 963 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar