Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

G&L Quality Control Concerns

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club G&L Quality Control Concerns

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 990 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Now that this long-running forum is public, I think that it’s a good opportunity to begin documenting issues with our G&L’s.

I’m not looking for venting. I want to record and track data for issues, and the steps taken toward successful or failed resolution. My interest is to help G&L and others, obtain the information that is necessary to fix problems.

As frustrating as our issues are, none of us are ever “really worried”. We have access to the people and knowledge to resolve anything, but others might not be so fortunate. I hope that this will lead us to new and useful information and that it’ll give reassurance to others, whom were about to give up on G&L.

Last week, when RRR said that he was reluctant to build a new G&L, it became obvious to me that this was necessary. What better place to start than a record of facts?

Please limit your posts here to information on tracking or resolving anything G&L related.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Attachments:
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I will say that G&L has never failed to address my concerns, but its definitely been overly difficult to reach them. In my experience, email doesn’t work at all. Calling Ron is what works, and reaching him is hit or miss.

As always, you absolute best first action should be to contact your dealer. They have a fast track to G&L. And if they’re not responsive, then contact any G&L dealer.

As for quality issues… I’ve had:

• A new bass come through with a bent tuner.
    • Rough fret work on one bass.
    • And several basses come through with a combination of solid and split shaft pots, or all splits. Some have sleeves on the split shaft, others don’t. I personally find this most annoying. Splits are just ugly and sloppy to me. However, I have no documentation, assuring me that I’ll receive solid shaft pots, so while i do believe that G&L “should use them”, I’m not sure that I can fault them for not. But I will say that if the knobs are designed for solid shaft pots, then solid shaft pots should be used, or the knobs should be changed.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant

I’ll add my own most recent and only experience with a G&L warranty issue.

In June I purchased a new Tribute Kiloton bass from an authorized G&L dealer.  The bass was well set up by their tech upon delivery and kept well humidified throughout the summer months.

But following several string changes and finally settling on a higher tension set of flats and due to seasonal changes in temperature and humidity I found that I needed to make a truss rod adjustment.

The problem that occurred was the allen wrench could not engage in the truss rod nut thereby making any truss rod adjustment impossible.  I’ve been doing my own tech work for over 30 years but just to be certain I wasn’t missing something I asked the dealers tech to examine the bass and his conclusion was the same as mine.

For whatever reason either the wrench could not drop into and engage the truss rod nut or the top of the nut was stripped.  So the entire bass was shipped back to G&L under warranty for either a replacement neck or a new replacement bass.  This was a little over two weeks ago and I have yet to receive a status report from the dealer.  Tomorrow I’ll contact them for an update and report the results of that here.

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

I have a 2005 L-2500, truss rod nut assembly broke off at the collar, by previous owner.

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

Please limit your posts here to information on tracking or resolving anything G&L related.

If it helps one person, I most certainly will.

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Spidey2112

But I will say that if the knobs are designed for solid shaft pots, then solid shaft pots should be used, or the knobs should be changed.

And not installed by the Incredible Hulk.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

But I will say that if the knobs are designed for solid shaft pots, then solid shaft pots should be used, or the knobs should be changed.

And not installed by the Incredible Hulk.

You may not remember, but this was my experience with a brand new G&L.

... Al Capone

Spidey2112

I do remember… sucks, bro!  How hard can it be?  When I built a bass from a kit, I didn’t have any problems properly installing the knobs… the originals, or the upgrades.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I do remember… sucks, bro! How hard can it be? When I built a bass from a kit, I didn’t have any problems properly installing the knobs… the originals, or the upgrades.

2765541278_a18fe5606a_b-1

... Al Capone

8 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

I’m shocked at how you guys have had your knobs manhandled. Amy’s shaft got snapped right off!

Image result for kung fu grip"

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

8 users thanked author for this post.
    soulman
    Participant

In June I purchased a new Tribute Kiloton bass from an authorized G&L dealer. The bass was well set up by their tech upon delivery and kept well humidified throughout the summer months.

But following several string changes and finally settling on a higher tension set of flats and due to seasonal changes in temperature and humidity I found that I needed to make a truss rod adjustment.

The problem that occurred was the allen wrench could not engage in the truss rod nut thereby making any truss rod adjustment impossible. I’ve been doing my own tech work for over 30 years but just to be certain I wasn’t missing something I asked the dealers tech to examine the bass and his conclusion was the same as mine.

For whatever reason either the wrench could not drop into and engage the truss rod nut or the top of the nut was stripped. So the entire bass was shipped back to G&L under warranty for either a replacement neck or a new replacement bass. This was a little over two weeks ago and I have yet to receive a status report from the dealer. Tomorrow I’ll contact them for an update and report the results of that here.

Update:  The latest is the Kilo is on it’s way back and should arrive late next week at which point I’ll now whether they simply replaced the neck or shipped a new bass.  So the turn around @ G&L was a about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks.  Anticipation sets in.

“…If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

I do remember… sucks, bro! How hard can it be? When I built a bass from a kit, I didn’t have any problems properly installing the knobs… the originals, or the upgrades.

2765541278_a18fe5606a_b-1<noscript>2765541278_a18fe5606a_b-1</noscript>

Lol!

Spidey2112

Update: The latest is the Kilo is on it’s way back and should arrive late next week at which point I’ll now whether they simply replaced the neck or shipped a new bass. So the turn around @ G&L was a about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Anticipation sets in.

Why wouldn’t they tell you, up front, as to what they did… before it even shipped?  Surprise!  Here it is!

Serious… I’m not even close to getting the big picture on this stuff.  Calculus was easier.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

In June I purchased a new Tribute Kiloton bass from an authorized G&L dealer. The bass was well set up by their tech upon delivery and kept well humidified throughout the summer months.

The problem that occurred was the allen wrench could not engage in the truss rod nut thereby making any truss rod adjustment impossible. I’ve been doing my own tech work for over 30 years but just to be certain I wasn’t missing something I asked the dealers tech to examine the bass and his conclusion was the same as mine.

For whatever reason either the wrench could not drop into and engage the truss rod nut or the top of the nut was stripped. So the entire bass was shipped back to G&L under warranty for either a replacement neck or a new replacement bass. This was a little over two weeks ago and I have yet to receive a status report from the dealer. Tomorrow I’ll contact them for an update and report the results of that here.

Update: The latest is the Kilo is on it’s way back and should arrive late next week at which point I’ll now whether they simply replaced the neck or shipped a new bass. So the turn around @ G&L was a about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Anticipation sets in.

not to bad, considering shipping time at 3-4 days each direction.

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Why wouldn’t they tell you, up front, as to what they did… before it even shipped? Surprise! Here it is!

Serious… I’m not even close to getting the big picture on this stuff. Calculus was easier.

Well, as I said, I’m working on it. Creating the dedicated G&L thread to track the issues was the first step.

... Al Capone

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

Well, as I said, I’m working on it. Creating the dedicated G&L thread to track the issues was the first step.

Thanks, Amy!

soulman
    Participant

Why wouldn’t they tell you, up front, as to what they did… before it even shipped? Surprise! Here it is!

Serious… I’m not even close to getting the big picture on this stuff. Calculus was easier.

I asked Jason @ Guitar Land but apparently the invoice he received didn’t indicate which so we’ll find out when it arrives.  The white models were on back order three weeks ago when I brought it in but are now shipping so it’s anyone’s guess ’til we see it.  If the plastic is still on the pickguard then it’s a new bass right and if not then I’d say they just replaced the neck.

I question whether or not it would even be worth it to stock a supply of Kilo necks both in Maple and Brazilian Cherry to handle warranty work vs simply replacing the bass when they have to add the labor involved with properly refitting a new neck in Cali but I guess that all depends on whatever arrangement they have with Cortek regarding warranty repairs.

The other “tell” would seem to be whether or not they put my flatwounds back on or shipped it without them installed or a stock set of rounds instead.  IIRC I also installed a treble bleed cap and resistor on the volume pot so if it’s missing that would also indicate they just shipped a new bass.  I hadn’t installed the skull and cross bones decal yet.  LOL

soulman
    Participant

not to bad, considering shipping time at 3-4 days each direction.

That’s pretty much my thinking as well.  It didn’t ship to them before 11/19 and probably didn’t arrive before 11/22.  They shipped it back either 12/5 or 12/6 so it was in house for about 2 weeks with a holiday in the middle of that.  That seems reasonable to me.

If they were planning on simply shipping me a new one or taking a neck from a new one to replace mine and the white models were on back order 3 weeks ago that could also have caused a slight delay.  I’ll know more next week when it arrives and finish this report then.

Spidey2112

I’ll detail my first G&L experience in this thread, soon… for now, I couldn’t put a complete sentence together, if I wanted to.

soulman
    Participant

And I feel this was a wise idea Spartacus.  If we can develop an archived history of service and/or QC related issues it not only helps us but it should also help G&L as well.

Many of us here are in or have been in lead or management positions and realize the value of an outside perspective on our performance in those areas.  A great product can be hurt badly due to a loss of reputation over service, QC, or CS related issues.

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 990 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.