Menu Close

G&L First Impressions

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club G&L First Impressions

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 248 total)
  • Author
    fcleff69

Looks like imma have ta learn how to solder…

Let me know if you need any help or advice.

Jeff, thanks for the PM. For some reason I can’t anymore find how to locate PMs through the forum, but I did get an email notification so I was able to read it there.
    A little bit of history. In the old TB thread I was working on my first pup replacement. It was a disaster. Everyone here tried to help me with my soldering. After 5,000 attempts I finally got the pups to work. The solder points looked like piles of silver dookie. But I got there. Since then I’ve become the Court Jester of Soldering; the butt of all soldering jokes, and whipping boy of all soldering discussions. No doubt you will soon hear this and quickly learn to berate my skills to your own amusement.
    In spite of it all, I know have my own repair shop and the begrudging respect (albeit unadmitted) of my peers here.
    If you have made cables before then your basic soldering skills should be up to any task you need done. If you are looking to make a control cavity like the one Bonin posted, well, you and I shall be brethren in that struggle.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

Mktrat
    Keymaster

Jeff, thanks for the PM. For some reason I can’t anymore find how to locate PMs through the forum, but I did get an email notification so I was able to read it there.

A little bit of history. In the old TB thread I was working on my first pup replacement. It was a disaster. Everyone here tried to help me with my soldering. After 5,000 attempts I finally got the pups to work. The solder points looked like piles of silver dookie. But I got there. Since then I’ve become the Court Jester of Soldering; the butt of all soldering jokes, and whipping boy of all soldering discussions. No doubt you will soon hear this and quickly learn to berate my skills to your own amusement.

In spite of it all, I know have my own repair shop and the begrudging respect (albeit unadmitted) of my peers here.

If you have made cables before then your basic soldering skills should be up to any task you need done. If you are looking to make a control cavity like the one Bonin posted, well, you and I shall be brethren in that struggle.

Like you didn’t earn it!!

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff….JB-2 was my gateway to G&L as well.  The exception is that I personally don’t care for the stock pickups.  I replaced them with Armstrong Lipsticks.  Much better in my opinion.

Im sure you’ll get your noise issues sorted.

And while we’re at it “Get this man a puppers!!!”

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?

fcleff69

The abuse was excessive.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

Now is no better time to get a one way ticket outta Dodge, @ Jeff Preston.

Welcome to TB, and let the closing door assist you, on your way out.

Go Bucks!

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

See what I mean?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

The abuse was excessive.

Says you.

Mktrat
    Keymaster

See what I mean?

Nope. But I like this….68CFD42D-D736-4001-BF12-FDFD9DDC982A

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I’m sure I’ll figure it out at some point.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

fcleff69

I found that it helps to make sure you just have the basics on hand: good iron, good wire, flux. Not altogether different from cooking. From there it’s just practice. Make sure you have a good wiring diagram and map it out many times before actually soldering. Not altogether different than reading a recipe.

Andyman001
    Participant

The abuse was excessive.

But it was fun.

OK, for us it was fun!

😛

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

fcleff69

But it was fun.

Seems like it still is.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Hi Jeff….JB-2 was my gateway to G&L as well. The exception is that I personally don’t care for the stock pickups. I replaced them with Armstrong Lipsticks. Much better in my opinion.

Im sure you’ll get your noise issues sorted.

And while we’re at it “Get this man a puppers!!!”

Dan Thompson over on the Guns and Guitars YouTube channel turned me on to the Epic Custom Shop pickups (www.epic ustomshop.com). Ruiqi (Reech) Chen hand winds custom P & J pups and they sound great. Price is reasonable as well. I ordered a set along with a master volume, blend, master tone control setup that he’s going to mount on my control plate.

If I can’t sort out the G&L pups, I’ll install the Epics. Only downside is that he’s from Xichigan! O-H!!! (Big Ohio State football fans in my house!) 🤪🤣

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Jim C
    Participant

I found that it helps to make sure you just have the basics on hand: good iron, good wire, flux. Make sure you have a good wiring diagram and map it out many times before actually soldering. Not altogether different than reading a recipe.

This! Although I would add patience is equally important. Clean everything, tin the tip of the iron and the wire, sand the plating off of a corner of a pot if that’s your ground point. Clean everything again. Allow the iron to fully heat the part, use flux, take your time but don’t have a cook out, etc. My Weller station can make poop whenever I’m in a hurry and don’t follow the rules.  I think Army uses a Burnzamatic torch but he is a pro and uses Propylene or  MAPP gass…

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Memo wanted the whole bass so it’s all in transit back to the mothership right now.

I will be anxiously awaiting the report on G&L’s findings.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Oh yeah, I’m not that young, either… 😉

It was your one big chance to fool us all… and you blew it old man.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I did the copper tape shielding, but I think I had to have done something wrong. Not sure how to tie it all together as you were saying.

You should make sure the copper tape is all soldered together, and properly connected to the grounds in the electronics. Solder wires from the copper (generally from an areas in the middle of the pickup and control cavities) and solder them to the pot closest to the jack.

IMG_0231-small

Cripes bro… that’s some next level shielding. I hate noisy basses… but aside form that Mockingbird from Hell, the only other was my blue LB, and that was cured with better home grounding.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

3M makes 1″ & 2″ copper shielding tape with a conductive adhesive (in their embossed line) but I don’t think it’s worth it. Bonin’ did an awesome job but overkill for our needs IMO. I’ve spent years evaluation RF shielding and materials from 1kHz (magnetic field) through 10 gHz up to 100 dB attenuation. I’d have to look at my notes but the difference in an overlap connection (non-conductive adhesive) with solid foil was not nearly as great as we anticipated. Some of the chemical coatings are pretty lame. We did test a coating that had a fair amount of silver in it but that stuff was hundreds of dollars for an ounce or so. The nickel enriched stuff was the bang for the buck but still spendy.

All I ever use is aluminum tape (for HVAC work) from Home Depot… So when I see you guys with the copper, I’m torn between being impressed with the expertise and professionalism… and sadness over how horrific the noise musta been to inspire such an effort.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

You’ve had a 24 hour lead, but hopefully I made it here before he took your advice.

... Al Capone

Spidey2112

I will be anxiously awaiting the report on G&L’s findings.

My bet is the mothership will arrive first.

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 248 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar