Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

G&L First Impressions

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club G&L First Impressions

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 255 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Aw crap. I think you can do that if you get it too hot for too long. But it’s hard to do just soldering the lug.

No way I could get seven wires in that lug. Tried to move it to the back of the pot. Probably a bad idea.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Removed the suspect pot and replaced with another. Also removed the extra ground wires. Noise is worse than before. Gonna take it to someone who knows what’s up and see if they can do it right.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

As I’m sure you can tell, I have no idea what I’m doing with this electrical stuff.

I suggest that you rephrase that. Cleff is liable to sue you for stealing his business model.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Removed the suspect pot and replaced with another. Also removed the extra ground wires. Noise is worse than before. Gonna take it to someone who knows what’s up and see if they can do it right.

BUT YOU WERE SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just post some pics. What soldering iron do you use?

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

fcleff69

As I’m sure you can tell, I have no idea what I’m doing with this electrical stuff.

I suggest that you rephrase that. Cleff is liable to sue you for stealing his business model.

I sent the cease and desist out yesterday.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

BUT YOU WERE SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just post some pics. What soldering iron do you use?

I used the cHefCleff Amazon special edition model. It was endorsed by Dan from the Guns and Guitars YouTube channel as well.

JP

Jim C
    Participant

JP – You’re almost there! Get a good iron that gets plenty hot but don’t have a cookout with the parts. When you solder to the back of a pot, use some sandpaper to remove the plating where you solder so you can decent adhesion. use flux on all solder joints. Tine wires, connectors, pots, etc. in advance. Don’t use giant heavy pliers or other tools to hold parts as they act like a heat sink. When you do connect wire to lugs, etc. the iron should be plenty hot but not kept on the joint that long.    Sorry if I wasn’t specific but others have chimed in. You must have a single point ground for any of this shielding to work. This means you solder a wire to every section of copper shielding and connect it to ground. Same with the bridge, Strip the insulation back an inch and let the bridge contact the bare wire for solid interference connection. These ground can be connected to the ground lugs at the pots or the jack since they are all interconnected with hook up wire.  Since you don’t have a pre-amp with your bass, you won’t hurt anything.   FWIW, my new JB is super noisy (when 1 pot is turned down when my amp is located near a dimmer switch. Turning off the dimmer helps. There still is 60 cycle hum though as you would expect from any SC pup. Recently took this same bass and amp to a buddy’s house.  Not sure why but there is very little hum at all!   Possible because of the power but most likely because the house was built in 1926 with plaster and metal lathe.  My guys just pulled 900′ of cable for the internet guy to hook up 12 access points as the house is like a Faraday cage.  In 40 years of playing bass, I never have seen this before.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

I’m just going to take it to one of the top luthiers in the Cbus area and see what he can do with it. If it’s still noisy when he’s done with it, then so be it! I’ve reached my point of time wasted with it.

JP

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’m just going to take it to one of the top luthiers in the Cbus area and see what he can do with it. If it’s still noisy when he’s done with it, then so be it! I’ve reached my point of time wasted with it.

Okay, Shortcut Preston, let us know how it turns out.

... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Okay, Shortcut Preston, let us know how it turns out.

Wow, if I had feelings, that would hurt, Amy!

Just got back from the 5th Avenue Fret Shop and Phil told me to never sell this bass! Pups are no more noisy than typical SCs in his opinion. He did touch up what appeared to be a cold solder joint on my grounds to the Master Volume. It did seem to reduce the noise a bit.

So, it was worth $20 bucks and some of my time to have a true pro take a look at it. Also, I know where to take it if I ever want to sell it!

JP

4 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Shortcut Preston

lmfao

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

I like to see it as knowing my limitations.

JP

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Also, he played it through a pre-Fender SWR Redhead. WOW! That little combo is amazing and the bass is truly a keeper. It had so much punch, clarity, depth and growl even with the blend pot centered. Add in a little extra bridge pup and it’s devastatingly brutal.

JP

Jim C
    Participant

Also, he played it through a pre-Fender SWR Redhead. WOW! That little combo is amazing and the bass is truly a keeper. It had so much punch, clarity, depth and growl even with the blend pot centered. Add in a little extra bridge pup and it’s devastatingly brutal.

This is the only reason I (and probably most people here) put up with the continuing disappointments that G&L bring to the table.  When they are tweaked just right they really can be special.

Meant to ask before. Do you notice any tonal difference with the blend pot? Have to admit that as I compare the G&L to Sandberg, I really do like the blend pot. OTOH, it has a pre-amp so no pup loading issues.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

This is the only reason I (and probably most people here) put up with the continuing disappointments that G&L bring to the table. When they are tweaked just right they really can be special.

Meant to ask before. Do you notice any tonal difference with the blend pot? Have to admit that as I compare the G&L to Sandberg, I really do like the blend pot. OTOH, it has a pre-amp so no pup loading issues.

I haven’t had a chance to play it much yet, but I like dialing in just a bit of extra bridge pup for more punch. I think it’ll really cut through in the mix better this way.
    Of course, it’s nothing that couldn’t be done with separate volume knobs. I just like the convenience of having a master volume.
    Jury is still out on the no load tone pot even with the 0.033uF cap. Might swap it out for the original pot and cap.

In reality, I should stop wasting time and just practice more!

JP

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 255 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.