Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

G&L First Impressions

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club G&L First Impressions

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 255 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

It’s either grounded of or it isn’t. The brand of caps and pots will make no difference on 60 cycle hum. Shielding tape / paint is your answer although single coil pickups are going to do that. By comparison, my JB is no worse than my 73′ J bass. Might actually be a little quieter when 1 pot is rolled back.

Gotta figure out how to see if it’s grounded. I added copper foil in all of the places. Didn’t make any difference in the noise.</p>

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

Still a lot of ground noise

Does noise go away when you touch strings/ bridge?

Mostly, yes.

How do I check if it’s grounded properly? I put copper foil in the pup and control cavities and even did the bridge ground fix from bassesbyleo.com

Noise going away when you touch the strings/ bridge/ control plate, tells me that it is wired correctly. is all the shielding connected electrically?

measuring any 2 points with an ohmmeter, or DMM, should be close to ohms resistance.

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Mostly, yes.

How do I check if it’s grounded properly? I put copper foil in the pup and control cavities and even did the bridge ground fix from bassesbyleo.com

Noise going away when you touch the strings/ bridge/ control plate, tells me that it is wired correctly. is all the shielding connected electrically?

measuring any 2 points with an ohmmeter, or DMM, should be close to ohms resistance.

So, just add some solder at each spot where the tape overlaps? I suppose I can put beads like Boney did if I have to😂. Gotta quiet the beast down!

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Andyman001
    Participant

Mostly, yes.

So, just add some solder at each spot where the tape overlaps? I suppose I can put beads like Boney did if I have to😂. Gotta quiet the beast down!

I did that with my MIM Jazz 5, also.

I also left little “tabs” that fold up over the top to make contact with the control plate & pick guard.

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

4 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

You don’t need the whole bead.  A couple dots here and there will do.

I also left little “tabs” that fold up over the top to make contact with the control plate & pick guard.

This is good practice as well.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

You don’t need the whole bead. A couple dots here and there will do.

This is good practice as well.

Ok. I already left tabs. Will try to solder the tape joints when I get a chance.
    Icing the knee right now. Did too much yesterday and this morning.

JP

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Yoga is supposed to be be good for that.

fcleff69

Yoga is supposed to be be good for that.

Lol

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Put some dots of solder at various joints of the tape and the noise is greatly reduced. Not dead silent, but I didn’t expect SCs to be.

I think it’s good to go now!

Soon as I get my recording skills together, I’ll do a little video à la cHefCleff who has a sweet new SB-1.

JP

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

Put some dots of solder at various joints of the tape and the noise is greatly reduced. Not dead silent, but I didn’t expect SCs to be.

Soon as I get my recording skills together, I’ll do a little video à la cHefCleff who has a sweet new SB-1.

You probably know this but the copper foil needs to be attached to ground at all locations as well as a wire under the bridge to ground.

Soldering the seems in the copper is cool but I have not found it to be that big a deal assuming you burnished the overlap conditions on the copper. Unless you bought 3M brand, the adhesive is not conductive although using a pop cycle stick to make sure there is a good physical connection at the tap joints typically gives you a nice low impedance connection.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

You probably know this but the copper foil needs to be attached to ground at all locations as well as a wire under the bridge to ground.

Soldering the seems in the copper is cool but I have not found it to be that big a deal assuming you burnished the overlap conditions on the copper. Unless you bought 3M brand, the adhesive is not conductive although using a pop cycle stick to make sure there is a good physical connection at the tap joints typically gives you a nice low impedance connection.

I didn’t use 3M and didn’t burnish the edges. The solder dots seem to have reduced the noise significantly. I guess I should run a wire from the pup cavities to the control cavity and solder them to the foil since they don’t connect to the actual cavity for further noise reduction.

As I’m sure you can tell, I have no idea what I’m doing with this electrical stuff.

JP

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Sounds like you’re on the right track, though!

Best practice for ground is to make a “star” configuration.  All the grounds should connect at one point, and connect that to the jack.  That will tend to work better than daisy chains or loops.

So for example, pick the housing of the pot closest to the jack.  Run a wire from there to the middle of the copper shielding the cavity, another wire to the bridge, another wire to the middle copper (if any) shielding the pickup cavities, and the wire to the bridge, etc.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Sounds like you’re on the right track, though!

Best practice for ground is to make a “star” configuration. All the grounds should connect at one point, and connect that to the jack. That will tend to work better than daisy chains or loops.

So for example, pick the housing of the pot closest to the jack. Run a wire from there to the middle of the copper shielding the cavity, another wire to the bridge, another wire to the middle copper (if any) shielding the pickup cavities, and the wire to the bridge, etc.

Here is a pic of the controls I installed.
    C51A9DAC-F062-4DD0-B1A7-0101F3C1DB82

All of the ground wires come off of the Master Volume pot solder lug. There’s a connection for each individual pup and one for the bridge ground wire. Do I still need something going directly to the copper foil?

JP

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

That looks great!

Do I still need something going directly to the copper foil?

Yes, ideally, you should ground shielding as well.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

That looks great!

Do I still need something going directly to the copper foil?

Yes, ideally, you should ground shielding as well.

So, add a wire from the shielding in each pup cavity to the control cavity shielding and then one from the bottom of a pot to the control cavity shielding?

JP

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

The master volume lug where your grounds go now is the center of your star, so no need to change that.

You would want to add a wire from the middle of each or your cavity shields (pup and control cavities) to the center of your star.

That would work better than daisy chaining from a pup cavity to the control cavity and then to the center of your star.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

The master volume lug where your grounds go now is the center of your star, so no need to change that.

You would want to add a wire from the middle of each or your cavity shields (pup and control cavities) to the center of your star.

That would work better than daisy chaining from a pup cavity to the control cavity and then to the center of your star.

Copy that. I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

JP

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Well, I tried that and now all I get is a little buzz out of the controls. No sound from the pups at all.

JP

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Think maybe I smoked the Master Volume pot. 😡

JP

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Aw crap.  I think you can do that if you get it too hot for too long.  But it’s hard to do just soldering the lug.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 255 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.