Menu Close

G&L First Impressions

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club G&L First Impressions

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 255 total)
  • Author
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Matador with MFDs in reverse-P orientation, empress, tobacco burst, aged pearloid pickguard, wenge neck, pearloid block inlays.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

If this one finally pans out, there might be a retirement Kiloton option order build. Empress or Alder body Quartersawn neck Bound and blocked Ebony board Silver Metal Flake body and headstock Black pearl pg if I can get one

Beaver Felton has some really pretty ones in his shop on Reverb that are very similar to this.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

Baby is back home and ready to rock!

16F2CD9E-259F-4340-9CD7-6A5B5C83ED9E<noscript>16F2CD9E-259F-4340-9CD7-6A5B5C83ED9E</noscript>

Maybe the total turnaround time in the QC thread, Jeff… may give us and others an idea whether or not they’re improving, when it comes to customer response.

Congrats, too!  Looks great!

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

I was concerned they would forget to use quartersawn wood, but they got it right.

Lucky you.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

I was concerned they would forget to use quartersawn wood, but they got it right.

Lucky you.

Sorry, breaux. I feel really badly that mine came back before yours.

Hope yours comes home soon.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Jeff Preston
    Participant

If this one finally pans out, there might be a retirement Kiloton option order build. Empress or Alder body Quartersawn neck Bound and blocked Ebony board Silver Metal Flake body and headstock Black pearl pg if I can get one

Beaver Felton has some really pretty ones in his shop on Reverb that are very similar to this.

I still have a few years before I get the next one. Might be a Tribby in between, though. Really dig that frost black SB-2.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, EBS Fuzzmo

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Finally had some time to play the JB. Neck feels great! Setup from Memo is dead on for me! Still some pup noise. Gonna swap out the VVT controls today for a MV-Blend-Tone setup. Report back later.

JP

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Got the new controls installed. I had the guy who made it for me use a 0.1uF capacitor and a no load tone pot. It definitely tamed the pups. Maybe a little too much. Gonna have to spend some time with it to decide if I like it or not.

JP

Still4strings
    Participant

Got the new controls installed. I had the guy who made it for me use a 0.1uF capacitor and a no load tone pot. It definitely tamed the pups. Maybe a little too much. Gonna have to spend some time with it to decide if I like it or not.

0.1uF is a big ‘un. What was the stock cap? Fender J uses a .022, and I sometimes would change them to .047 (I like the less middy sound with the tone rolled off).

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

Jeff Preston
    Participant

0.1uF is a big ‘un. What was the stock cap? Fender J uses a .022, and I sometimes would change them to .047 (I like the less middy sound with the tone rolled off).

Yeah, the guy said the 0.1 would be darker sounding. I just wasn’t expecting it to be quite so dark. It still sounds good with the tone fully rolled off.

JP

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Stock setup had a 0.047 installed. I might go back to that one or use the 0.033 that I ordered especially if it juices up the mids. I’m a big fan of the mids. Seems to help the bass cut through the mix a bit to my ears anyway.

JP

Still4strings
    Participant

Stock setup had a 0.047 installed. I might go back to that one or use the 0.033 that I ordered especially if it juices up the mids. I’m a big fan of the mids. Seems to help the bass cut through the mix a bit to my ears anyway.

0.033 will certainly let more mids through when you have the tone rolled back, especially compared to the 0.1uF.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

0.033 will certainly let more mids through when you have the tone rolled back, especially compared to the 0.1uF.

I love the voicing of the pups and I’m a big fan of their aggressive tone. Just need to throttle them a little bit. They might be a bit much for my church worship team!

I definitely dig the Master Volume/Blend/Tone control setup. Gonna swap out the capacitor and see if I like it better.

I have a TBX tone control that I could swap in as well…

JP

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Well, swapped out the 0.1uF cap to a 0.033uF cap and didn’t notice much difference. Still a lot of ground noise as well. Might have to take it to someone who actually knows what they’re doing…

JP

Jim C
    Participant

It’s either grounded of or it isn’t. The brand of caps and pots will make no difference on 60 cycle hum. Shielding tape / paint is your answer although single coil pickups are going to do that. By comparison, my JB is no worse than my 73′ J bass. Might actually be a little quieter when 1 pot is rolled back.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Well, swapped out the 0.1uF cap to a 0.033uF cap and didn’t notice much difference. Still a lot of ground noise as well. Might have to take it to someone who actually knows what they’re doing…

Any news on the TBX front?

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Andyman001
    Participant

Still a lot of ground noise

Does noise go away when you touch strings/ bridge?

Playing bass for 35 years, taking time out for meals, of course

Still4strings
    Participant

You’d only notice a difference as you turn the tone down, of course, and the more you turn it down the more you might notice the difference. It should be pretty noticeable with such a big cap change! It would be a lot easier to hear the difference with an A/B comparison, but it should be noticeable anyway.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Still a lot of ground noise

Does noise go away when you touch strings/ bridge?

Mostly, yes.
    How do I check if it’s grounded properly? I put copper foil in the pup and control cavities and even did the bridge ground fix from bassesbyleo.com

JP

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Any news on the TBX front?

Haven’t tried that one, yet. Want to get the noise minimized first if possible.

JP

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 255 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar