Menu Close

Fender

Home Forums G&L Guitar Club Fender

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 338 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’m copying it here…

I’m super curious to hear someones assessment of the Jazz Vmods!!!!!!!!!!! Did @metron ever reveal the actual model of his Jazz? Ugh… this needs to be in the Fender thread.

Sorry mang I made the model reveal as cryptic and confusing as possible. Just like a real Fender!

Its a 2013 ‘74 reissue so unfortunately no vmod pickups.

Well, try and hear some Vmod J’s and let me know. I love the sound of J’s but I usually hate the necks and bodies, but if the Vmods do for it what they did for the P, Id be loving it!

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Metron suxcks.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Metron suxcks.

Feeling more aggressive than passive?

JP

A morning poem:
    Coffee, coffee, coffee. Everyone shut up. Coffee.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    metron
    Participant

I’m copying it here…

I’m super curious to hear someones assessment of the Jazz Vmods!!!!!!!!!!! Did @metron ever reveal the actual model of his Jazz? Ugh… this needs to be in the Fender thread.

Sorry mang I made the model reveal as cryptic and confusing as possible. Just like a real Fender!

Well, try and hear some Vmod J’s and let me know. I love the sound of J’s but I usually hate the necks and bodies, but if the Vmods do for it what they did for the P, Id be loving it!

I would like to try the V mods but what do they do for a Jazz? As I understand it, the different magnet material in the halfs of the P split help balance or something but straight singles are already balanced. At least in theory.

I say in theory because I am experiencing a distinct lack of gain on the A string of this fancy 74 ressiue J. Never had anything like it happen with any other J. String and pickup heights are set exactly and it’s just inescapable. So I end up dropping the A saddle a little to balance. Still not there. That’s not going to work long term.

I’m assuming the problem is the string for now but it’s the first set I’ve had on it. Will find out for sure when I replace these.

Wait, is this what the Vmod pickups fix? Now I get it. 😀

metron
    Participant

Metron suxcks.

I just appreciate that he’s thinking of me from time to time!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Andyman001
    Participant

I’m copying it here…

I would like to try the V mods but what do they do for a Jazz? As I understand it, the different magnet material in the halfs of the P split help balance or something but straight singles are already balanced. At least in theory.

I say in theory because I am experiencing a distinct lack of gain on the A string of this fancy 74 ressiue J. Never had anything like it happen with any other J. String and pickup heights are set exactly and it’s just inescapable. So I end up dropping the A saddle a little to balance. Still not there. That’s not going to work long term.

I’m assuming the problem is the string for now but it’s the first set I’ve had on it. Will find out for sure when I replace these.

In the Sire thread on TB, some people tried adding a small Neo magnet to the top of some pole pieces to even out the output.

(Jazz style V7)

“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?”
    ― George Carlin

Still4strings
    Participant

I’m copying it here…

That’s just plain goofy. Does it happen with each pickup solo’d or just with both on?

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

metron
    Participant

In the Sire thread on TB, some people tried adding a small Neo magnet to the top of some pole pieces to even out the output.

This is an interesting idea thanks for sharin. I haven’t been following them, are there string to string balance issues with some of the Sires?

metron
    Participant

That’s just plain goofy. Does it happen with each pickup solo’d or just with both on?

I agree it is. Each solo and both on have the same malady. That helps me dismiss it with a bunk A string. Plus this is a light gauge set. I have some DR stainless in standard gauge up next so I’ll report on those in a few weeks.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Metron suxcks.

I just appreciate that he’s thinking of me from time to time!

How could we forget you, sir???

JP

A morning poem:
    Coffee, coffee, coffee. Everyone shut up. Coffee.

Still4strings
    Participant

I agree it is. Each solo and both on have the same malady. That helps me dismiss it with a bunk A string. Plus this is a light gauge set. I have some DR stainless in standard gauge up next so I’ll report on those in a few weeks.

Let us know what happens. It’s gotta be the string, although I don’t know why it would behave this way.

Andyman001
    Participant

This is an interesting idea thanks for sharin. I haven’t been following them, are there string to string balance issues with some of the Sires?

Back in the 1st gen series it was commented on a bit. Only a few thought it was bad enough to try to “fix” it.

on my 5 string, I do notice that the low B is a bit hot, but I play with a light touch and I just compensate.

….and stop calling me Sharon.

😛

“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?”
    ― George Carlin

fcleff69

Y’all’re overthinking this. Dig in, play hard, and floor it. Make your tone happen. 99.99999935920183646% of the listeners will never notice. Steven Wilson makes up the difference and the chances of him hearing you play are even more slim.

fcleff69

At one point this was a thread about Fender musical instruments.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’m copying it here…

I’m certainly no expert on such topics, but when I fell in love with the Precision Bass, my very first “issue” with it was string balance. The EA were so much louder than the DG, in the mix. No amount of adjusting could solve it, so I looked to strings.

Ironically, HYBRID string sets have heavier gauge EA than DG, which was opposite of what I needed, so adjustable pole pieces were next to try. That’s how I discovered G&L, and obviously Leo knew about the issue.

So the Vmod pups use stronger magnets in the DG and weaker softer magnets in the EA. Without even addressing whether or not that fixes the volume balance between strings, I’ll just say that the tone is stellar! But yes, for the record, it did fix the volume inequality between the EA and DG strings.

Now during rehearsal, during full on thrash metal Anthrax tunes, my fifths and octaves all ring right through. Before the Vmods, they were inaudible.

Here’s a link. Not sure how this affects a Jazz, but I would assume that it would do the same.

The perfect blend of classic and contemporary

When renowned pickup designer Michael Bump designed V-Mod Jazz Bass pickups, he set out to take Fender’s familiar tone and refine it — and the bassists here at Sweetwater agree that he succeeded. These innovative pickups employ Alnico II magnets on the bass side and Alnico Vs on the treble side, yielding a classic J Bass tone with lots of clarity and truckloads of vintage warmth. So what are you waiting for? Load these V-Mods into your bass and harness the classic sound that made Fender legendary.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VModJBSet–fender-v-mod-jazz-bass-pickup-set

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fender-jazz-bass-v-mod-vs-cs60.1418326/

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Mktrat
    Keymaster

The short scale jaguars have a similar mod for the stock bridge pickup (except it called for a magnet across the entire bottom of the pickup)

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

Still4strings
    Participant

At one point this was a thread about Fender musical instruments.

Fedner

20170527_221913

metron
    Participant

Let us know what happens. It’s gotta be the string, although I don’t know why it would behave this way.

Yep i think it has to be the string. Or my crappy technique or both.

metron
    Participant

Back in the 1st gen series it was commented on a bit. Only a few thought it was bad enough to try to “fix” it.

on my 5 string, I do notice that the low B is a bit hot, but I play with a light touch and I just compensate.

….and stop calling me Sharon.

😛

That’s just it Sharinmin, the hot B. It’s all in the hands and if not, throw in some magnets!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    metron
    Participant

Y’all’re overthinking this. Dig in, play hard, and floor it. Make your tone happen. 99.99999935920183646% of the listeners will never notice. Steven Wilson makes up the difference and the chances of him hearing you play are even more slim.

Is that the guy from the Beach Boys?

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 338 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.