Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

DIY Custom Pedals

Home Forums Tech Forum DIY Custom Pedals

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    NSYMCE
    Participant

Just did a quick rundown of the parts to build the OC-1. It would cost over $150 to build because of all of the 200qty resistors I’d have to buy. Guess I’ll wait to see if he does a kit version.

You’re doing it wrong, none of the resistors should be over twenty cents in single quantities at Mouser or Digikey.

BTW, Rob’s show stream is live right now.

Many of them were only available in 200qty. They were $0.02 each, but you have to buy 200. One of them only came in a 1000qty. This was on the Mouser site.

I guess maybe I need to teach you the ways of spec’ing subs, that has never ever happened to me that I can recall, at least for basic 1/4 watt resistors. Which one was a 1000 piece minimum order? To be honest, I haven’t really looked at the OC-1 schematic very thoroughly, but my friend said he had like 40 bucks into the parts to stuff the board, not counting the board itself and the case. But I think he probably has a big parts stash, so like me he wouldn’t need to buy the more common value resistors.

Anyhow, when I get around to ordering the OC-1 parts I could maybe double up the order and just send out a whole kit to you if it ends up being something you want to buid. It’ll probably be at least a month or three though.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

Many of them were only available in 200qty. They were $0.02 each, but you have to buy 200. One of them only came in a 1000qty. This was on the Mouser site.

I guess maybe I need to teach you the ways of spec’ing subs, that has never ever happened to me that I can recall, at least for basic 1/4 watt resistors. Which one was a 1000 piece minimum order? To be honest, I haven’t really looked at the OC-1 schematic very thoroughly, but my friend said he had like 40 bucks into the parts to stuff the board, not counting the board itself and the case. But I think he probably has a big parts stash, so like me he wouldn’t need to buy the more common value resistors.

Anyhow, when I get around to ordering the OC-1 parts I could maybe double up the order and just send out a whole kit to you if it ends up being something you want to buid. It’ll probably be at least a month or three though.

I don’t recall which one was 1000pcs. I just plugged in the part numbers from the Mouser parts list he has for the pedal.
    I’m in no huge hurry.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

I don’t recall which one was 1000pcs. I just plugged in the part numbers from the Mouser parts list he has for the pedal. I’m in no huge hurry.

Ah, gotcha. In most cases with resistors there will be at least half a dozen good subs for any given part number. Different manufacturers, different tolerances, and near values that will work every bit as well in a given circuit. Not always true though, of course. I’m here to help if I can in any case.

NSYMCE
    Participant

OK, I tried calling up the first resistor’s part number on his bill of materials. That gives you what you saw:

https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/xicon/271-200k-rc?qs=crciVTC1MmHmapJBYEuTLw%3D%3D

FTN, I don’t want to buy 200. So let’s do a Mouser search on 200K ohm 1/4 watt 1% metal film resistors in axial format:

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/_/N-5g9n?P=1yzbpodZ1yyxf87Z1yzekiwZ1z0wljoZ1z0z819

Now let’s sort by cost, and here’s my apparent winner:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/MFS1-4DCT52R2003F?qs=iPPgFPFs9PMnoXEzUXxIGA%3D%3D

But a quick look at the dimensions shows it’s a shorty, and you don’t want to be like Amy and have a shorty. So let’s be big spenders and go from ten cents to nineteen:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/MF1-4CCT52R2003F?qs=KVzGhl%2FcVV2gKHLj%2FZEOAw%3D%3D

BAM, you’re a chick magnet now. You can probably work through matching KOA pieces in that line for most of the rest now without going through this New Jersey fire drill every time. Dig?

But if for whatever reason you just have to use a Xicon piece (it’s slightly shorter, for example) this was on my search list at 22 cents:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/271-200K-REEL-RC?qs=S4%252BDZHHU81yjP4dwDYCkeg%3D%3D

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Ok, I’ll try the cross referencing plan and see how it works out. So, as long as the values and dimensions are the same, they should be fine?

I think I’ll probably still order the MXR M-82 clone from the Effect Pedal Kits folks once I get my bass back from the luthier.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

NSYMCE
    Participant

Ok, I’ll try the cross referencing plan and see how it works out. So, as long as the values and dimensions are the same, they should be fine?

I think I’ll probably still order the MXR M-82 clone from the Effect Pedal Kits folks once I get my bass back from the luthier.

The most important specs are value, size, material config, wattage, and tolerance. You want metal film for lowest noise, 6.3-7.5 mm for size, and 1/4 watt, unless the BOM spec says otherwise. The shorty ones actually usually fit OK but I prefer the matched look personally.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.