Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

DIY Custom Pedals

Home Forums Tech Forum DIY Custom Pedals

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

We have a DIY Custom Pedalboard thread, how about a DIY Custom Pedals thread?

I’m on a super tight budget with everything going on, but I’d love to find an envelope filter to try to round out the synth bass sound. Anyone ever built their own pedals?

I found this when doing a search of the Google:

MXR Envelope Filter Kit

Anyone tried something like this? I think I can solder at least as good as Hef!

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

Still4strings
    Participant

I like this thread. I haven’t built any pedals yet but I’d like to. So, SLAP LIKE NOW

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

I like this thread. I haven’t built any pedals yet but I’d like to. So, SLAP LIKE NOW

SLAPPPP!!!!

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

I think @Shawn73 has done a few.

Drammit Shawn!

Sitting here like uninvited company.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

@Shawn73 you have any insights, sir?

JP

NSYMCE
    Participant

Where’s the custom part? Clones don’t really count IMHO, unless we’re just talkimg about cosmetics.

That said, a TB’er friend sent me a Conish OC-1 compressor clone board as a gift/tip, the Aeon Oceanid: https://aionfx.com/project/oceanid-optical-compressor/. They seem to have quite the array of interesting clone boards available and the quality of the one I have looks excellent. He also offers full custom design services, which only really makes sense for production items as far as I can see.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Where’s the custom part? Clones don’t really count IMHO, unless we’re just talkimg about cosmetics.

That said, a TB’er friend sent me a Conish OC-1 compressor clone board as a gift/tip, the Aeon Oceanid: https://aionfx.com/project/oceanid-optical-compressor/. They seem to have quite the array of interesting clone boards available and the quality of the one I have looks excellent. He also offers full custom design services, which only really makes sense for production items as far as I can see.

Maybe custom was the wrong word choice. I don’t have the big budget for toys that some of the geeks around here seem to have. I was wondering if there were some diy kits (call them clones if you like) out there that I could order and use my better-than-Hef soldering skills to assemble without breaking the bank.

JP

NSYMCE
    Participant

Maybe custom was the wrong word choice. I don’t have the big budget for toys that some of the geeks around here seem to have. I was wondering if there were some diy kits (call them clones if you like) out there that I could order and use my better-than-Hef soldering skills to assemble without breaking the bank.

All good, just want to stay on the same page. There are zillions of kits out there, I’ll pull together some links. My personal thing is doing my own circuit designs, but since I don’t use pedals myself it’s always been kind of hard to get motivated to design any. As I’ve mentioned before, that’s kind of changing now though. Pedal prices can be crazy high and I don’t see any reason not to get a piece of that really. ;^}

3 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

As I’ve mentioned before, that’s kind of changing now though. Pedal prices can be crazy high and I don’t see any reason not to get a piece of that really. ;^}

If you can design a grit/dirt/overdrive/distortion pedal that knocks my Damnation Audio MBD out of top position, I’ll give you some monies.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

That Aionfx site looks pretty interesting. He doesn’t currently offer an envelope filter, but I contacted him and he said he has a couple in the pipeline. I was hoping one would be an MXR M-82 clone, but he hasn’t looked at that one yet.

Once I pay for the fretwork redo on my JB, I’ll probably get a couple of his kits to build. Most likely a delay and an envelope filter if he has one available. I’d like a good compressor, but I’m not sure about the OC-1 clone. Might have to spring for a Doc Lloyd or Hyper Luminal.

JP

NSYMCE
    Participant

As I’ve mentioned before, that’s kind of changing now though. Pedal prices can be crazy high and I don’t see any reason not to get a piece of that really. ;^}

If you can design a grit/dirt/overdrive/distortion pedal that knocks my Damnation Audio MBD out of top position, I’ll give you some monies.

For starters at least, my thing is most likely gonna be designing EFX that work best with active basses, same as my amp designs all do. IME you can substantially improve noise floor that way if you start with a really good onboard preamp. And as it happens, I know a guy….;^}

But when I was playing guitar just as much as bass I built a number of pretty fun high gain tube amps and I’d love to port some of those ideas to dirt pedals eventually, whether with tubes or not.

NSYMCE
    Participant

That Aionfx site looks pretty interesting. He doesn’t currently offer an envelope filter, but I contacted him and he said he has a couple in the pipeline. I was hoping one would be an MXR M-82 clone, but he hasn’t looked at that one yet.

Once I pay for the fretwork redo on my JB, I’ll probably get a couple of his kits to build. Most likely a delay and an envelope filter if he has one available. I’d like a good compressor, but I’m not sure about the OC-1 clone. Might have to spring for a Doc Lloyd or Hyper Luminal.

Yeah, it looks like filter pedals are under represented for DIY kits. I’m going to hit up my friend at 3Leaf/Pike Audio and try to get a little smarter about this stuff.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Yeah, it looks like filter pedals are under represented for DIY kits. I’m going to hit up my friend at 3Leaf/Pike Audio and try to get a little smarter about this stuff.

I’d love to have Spencer’s new Proton pedal, but that’s definitely outta my price range!

JP

NSYMCE
    Participant

I’d love to have Spencer’s new Proton pedal, but that’s definitely outta my price range!

I hear ya. One nice thing about DIYing is that you can pick up a few parts at a time as budget allows, although you definitely don’t always save any money in the long term. The actual OC-1 comp pedal goes for over 500 bucks, FWIW. If Aion do a full kit I’d expect it to come in well under $100.

The BYOC filter pedal seems like the popular DIY choice, but as with so many things, not in stock at the moment. I’ve seen some digital ones but haven’t really looked into the degree of difficulty for building.

Right now I have a T-Rex Squeezer in for repair. Of this I know nothing, should be interesting. The guy who owns it gave me the last pedal I fixed for him, maybe part of a plot to get me to start using and/or building pedals. WTF, I like trying new things and I already have a bunch of web friends who are in that game.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

I hear ya. One nice thing about DIYing is that you can pick up a few parts at a time as budget allows, although you definitely don’t always save any money in the long term. The actual OC-1 comp pedal goes for over 500 bucks, FWIW. If Aeon do a full kit I’d expect it to come in well under $100.

The BYOC filter pedal seems like the popular DIY choice, but as with so many things, not in stock at the moment. I’ve seen some digital ones but haven’t really looked into the degree of difficulty for building.

Right now I have a T-Rex Squeezer in for repair. Of this I know nothing, should be interesting. The guy who owns it gave me the last pedal I fixed for him, maybe part of a plot to get me to start using and/or building pedals. WTF, I like trying new things and I already have a bunch of web friends who are in that game.

Definitely interested in the Aion stuff. Probably gonna try a couple of their full kits at some point.

JP

NSYMCE
    Participant

Definitely interested in the Aion stuff. Probably gonna try a couple of their full kits at some point.

The guy who gifted me the OC-1 board built one up for himself too, and spoke very highly of it. But of course my natural inclination is “it ain’t broke, let’s fix it anyway.” The opamps could all be upgraded, or at least more expensive, for instance.  😎

Jeff Preston
    Participant

The guy who gifted me the OC-1 board built one up for himself too, and spoke very highly of it. But of course my natural inclination is “it ain’t broke, let’s fix it anyway.” The opamps could all be upgraded, or at least more expensive, for instance. 😎

I love tinkering with stuff. Just need to learn some theory as to what works and why.

JP

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Just did a quick rundown of the parts to build the OC-1. It would cost over $150 to build because of all of the 200qty resistors I’d have to buy. Guess I’ll wait to see if he does a kit version.

JP

NSYMCE
    Participant

Just did a quick rundown of the parts to build the OC-1. It would cost over $150 to build because of all of the 200qty resistors I’d have to buy. Guess I’ll wait to see if he does a kit version.

You’re doing it wrong, none of the resistors should be over twenty cents in single quantities at Mouser or Digikey.

BTW, Rob’s show stream is live right now.

Jeff Preston
    Participant

You’re doing it wrong, none of the resistors should be over twenty cents in single quantities at Mouser or Digikey.

BTW, Rob’s show stream is live right now.

Many of them were only available in 200qty. They were $0.02 each, but you have to buy 200. One of them only came in a 1000qty. This was on the Mouser site.

JP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.