Menu Close

Derail Thread

Home Forums G&L Guitar Club Derail Thread

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Ive had Sony Walkmans that sounded more like an SVT

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I had the Prodigy and I didn’t care for it at all.  But my TT-800 has been a GAS-killer.  As hard as it was to get a tone I liked out of the Prodigy, the TT sounds just right pretty much no matter how I have it set.

Both my rigs are incredible now.  I should post pictures in the amps and cabs thread…

7 users thanked author for this post.
    gbrooding
    Participant

Did G&L keep any kind of records to show monthly bass production numbers during the first months of existence?  June/July/August?

A man's got to know his limitations....

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Did G&L keep any kind of records to show monthly bass production numbers during the first months of existence? June/July/August?

As I recall, they’ve never been good at record keeping, and they seem to be getting worse!

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

They can barely generate proper records.  Keeping them might be asking a bit much.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    gbrooding
    Participant

I guess what I am getting at is this.  I know that the serial numbers back in 1980 were out of order.  They would simply grab a bridge from the box and slap it on the bass.  I believe that the first serial number on the bridges was B000501, from what I understand.  My serial number is B000800, with a body date of July 28, 1980, so I know it is pretty early in the process.  Just curious how many they were churning out a month,  since mine was within 2 months of when they started.  No gigs, no rehearsals, starting to lead to idle, pointless curiosity is all!!

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

I was going to suggest looking at the G&L Registry but I see you’ve already been there. 🙂 That still wouldn’t get you the answer anyway.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

gbrooding
    Participant

I know it really doesn’t make any difference, just curiosity has me burrowing down that rabbit hole.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I know it really doesn’t make any difference, just curiosity has me burrowing down that rabbit hole.

Nothing wrong with that, at all. I have 50 years worth of cuts, shocks, scrapes, stitches, scars, medical reports, and arson investigations, all in the name of curiosity. My parents STILL bitch about me cutting a hole in the living room floor and exploding the fuse panel, but you don’t here them complaining when they’re asking me to prevent Bing from hijacking their default browser. It’s all in the name of science!

... Al Capone

gbrooding
    Participant

I’m not super thrilled to hear that Mesa Boogie has merged in with Gibson.  The folks at Mesa are awesome.  I’ve driven to their shop in Petaluma to have my M6 repaired.  Dropped it off, went out for lunch, came back to pick it up 2 hours later.  Easy!  Garey and Rich were fantastic to help diagnose and repair while I waited.  Customer service at its best!

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’m not super thrilled to hear that Mesa Boogie has merged in with Gibson. The folks at Mesa are awesome. I’ve driven to their shop in Petaluma to have my M6 repaired. Dropped it off, went out for lunch, came back to pick it up 2 hours later. Easy! Garey and Rich were fantastic to help diagnose and repair while I waited. Customer service at its best!

Agreed. I’ve had the same, exemplary experience with them. They define service for the rest of the world, and their next closest competitor can’t even remotely aspire to be in their shadow. mesa is simply a game changer…

As you may or may not be aware:

1. A chief engineer at mesa is a member here.
    2. You can go into the SCTMMC thread, where we’re discussing this. I swear that we don’t bite. Guys. We don’t bite guys. Well, LBS. Might. LBS and Rob bite guys.

Here’s how this will go…

• Gibson acquires Mesa.
    • Gibson stops all US production and moves it to China… IF WE’RE LUCKY!
    • Prices hold steady or rise.
    • Mesa becomes the Guitar Center house brand, within 6 months.
    • Mesa customer service is moved to a country that uses camels as their primary form of transportation.
    • Steve Araujo starts making promo videos for Mesa.
    • The Mesa Custom Shop, Heritage, American Line is created… this line includes famous Mesa offerings from days of yore, hand-crafted in the USA, by prisoners of the work release program, making $3.25 an hour, using parts from Mexico.
    • the Mesa Gerbil is introduced. A revamped Trace Elliot Elf, with a smaller footprint, now with blue lights and an app for your iphone.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Cheech and Chong tour the mesa factory and are given “one of each”, in exchange for their extremely valuable, drug induced, musical expertise opinion, which you weren’t even aware of the fact that they were still alive, until your sisters, uncles, neighbors mother, posted a link to the video on their Facebook page.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

And as outlandish as that all sounds, you call me in 365 days and say “holy shit bro, you nailed that Mesa thing”.

... Al Capone

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

And as outlandish as that all sounds, you call me in 365 days and say “holy shit bro, you nailed that Mesa thing”.

Index of /wp-content/uploads/2011/10

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Index of /wp-content/uploads/2011/10

The World of The Dark Crystal

... Al Capone

metron
    Participant

I guess what I am getting at is this. I know that the serial numbers back in 1980 were out of order. They would simply grab a bridge from the box and slap it on the bass. I believe that the first serial number on the bridges was B000501, from what I understand. My serial number is B000800, with a body date of July 28, 1980, so I know it is pretty early in the process. Just curious how many they were churning out a month, since mine was within 2 months of when they started. No gigs, no rehearsals, starting to lead to idle, pointless curiosity is all!!

I read that George Fullerton had all the hand written records for G&Ls early years and when he was still alive you could get in touch with him for info. Not sure what happened to them after he died though. Maybe one of the G&L owners have them now. Good luck in any event!

July ’80 is supposedly the first production so it’s an early one.

Jim C
    Participant

I think one of the greatest achievements of  modern day G&L has been their finishes. I’ve seen a bunch of bad workmanship and read the horror stories of details being screwed up but very little complaints on finishes.

Great news! They just dropped a bunch of cash on dust collection. Hopefully this makes it nicer for the employees but often times dust control is a big issue for the paint department. So based on previous history, will we start to see dust in the clear coat starting soon? And these videos just reinforce that the geek squad is running the show.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    LBS-bass
    Participant

I only bite things to see if they’re real.  I learned that when I moved to Gold Country.

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a signature?

Andyman001
    Participant

I only bite things to see if they’re real. I learned that when I moved to Gold Country.

Bite me.

😛

“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?”
    ― George Carlin

LBS-bass
    Participant

I only bite things to see if they’re real. I learned that when I moved to Gold Country.

Bite me.

😛

I’m pretty sure you’re good as gold, so no 🙂

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a signature?

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.