Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

Derail Thread

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club Derail Thread

• This topic has 46 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by Jim C.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

About the only style I don’t really like is bluegrass.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

I have played numerous country gigs.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

It didn’t take long to figure out that I am probably in the minority in this group on musical tastes. My impression is that most(or many) of you are metal/rock guys. I am in the country segment, though mainly Bakersfield Sound and Red Dirt Roots Music. I started playing bass in a black gospel band, and slowly moved from that to more of the country/blues genre. I love funk and progressive rock as well. The one style I just can’t get with is reggae. Curious to hear what your favorite styles are?

There’s definitely a remarkable series of coincidental likings among many of us, but there’s no biasing either. I love metal, but I really can’t listen to it anymore, and I never play it in a band. I’ve always hated listening to classic rock, but I’m starting to enjoy it. I play punk in my band, but I also love Simon and Garfunkel, Grateful Dead, and many older country tunes.

I do have two black, female, gospel singers, that share vocals with me in my band, so it does allow us much greater flexibility.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I have played numerous country gigs.

Yes. We’ve seen the hats. G has more in common with us than he sees!

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff Preston
    Participant

I learned to play bass by being in a Southern Gospel (essentially Country) band. Did it from about 10yrs old to about 25yrs old. Hope I never have to play it again, honestly.

Only Country I care for anymore is the new stuff. More like Pop-Country or Bro-Country.

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

Jim C
    Participant

Are many of you guys comfy with the old style 1 3/4″ nut on Fender basses which I think was the standard through about 1967?

Yup. I don’t seem to care much about neck size unless it gets extreme. I’ve only had one bass that made my hand hurt – it was the fattest (front to back) P bass neck I’ve ever played.
    I tend to be more uncomfortable when the neck is small. Odd that Jim and I both do construction and like those giant necks. That may make sense.

How can you accurately level frets be it Pleck or by hand if they are not fully seated? I would really like to see this as a photo so I can make a shirt and be done with these A holes forever.

My 1960 has a wide 1 3/4″ neck but it might have been sanded front to back as there is no finish. It’s pretty thin and flat. I have large hands (XL gloves) but it’s not so comfortable. OTOH, my two Laklands are 1 5/8″ at the nut but need to be sold as they too are very shallow front to back. My 72′ P is  a 1 5/8″ nut but it truly is a baseball bat and I like it a lot. 3 weeks ago I went to a rehearsal and the strings on the P were flat out worn out so grabbed a 74′ J and was worried that the 1 1/2″ would be uncomfortable. Turns out the baseball bat shape (big thick radius front to back) was OK.   So to echo the above, the more I think about it, nut width is just one data point.   Currently playing rock and R&B but style of music has never much mattered about neck shape.   How the bass sits in the mix is the main thing for me.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Are many of you guys comfy with the old style 1 3/4″ nut on Fender basses which I think was the standard through about 1967?

Yup. I don’t seem to care much about neck size unless it gets extreme. I’ve only had one bass that made my hand hurt – it was the fattest (front to back) P bass neck I’ve ever played.

I tend to be more uncomfortable when the neck is small. Odd that Jim and I both do construction and like those giant necks. That may make sense.

How can you accurately level frets be it Pleck or by hand if they are not fully seated? I would really like to see this as a photo so I can make a shirt and be done with these A holes forever.

My 1960 has a wide 1 3/4″ neck but it might have been sanded front to back as there is no finish. It’s pretty thin and flat. I have large hands (XL gloves) but it’s not so comfortable. OTOH, my two Laklands are 1 5/8″ at the nut but need to be sold as they too are very shallow front to back. My 72′ P is a 1 5/8″ nut but it truly is a baseball bat and I like it a lot. 3 weeks ago I went to a rehearsal and the strings on the P were flat out worn out so grabbed a 74′ J and was worried that the 1 1/2″ would be uncomfortable. Turns out the baseball bat shape (big thick radius front to back) was OK. So to echo the above, the more I think about it, nut width is just one data point. Currently playing rock and R&B but style of music has never much mattered about neck shape. How the bass sits in the mix is the main thing for me.

I’m only recently making sense of it all, when it comes to necks. As a Fender/ G&L guy, I always associated all neck specs with the nut width, but as you mention, there’s simply more to it than that. Warwick and Ibanez have some very narrow necks, which are supper thick.

I also tend to like the smaller fret board radius. Can’t say that I ever found “my dream neck”… but the closest that I ever came to it was the MIJ Steve Harris. I just always request the 1.75”, but never paid any attention to the radius or shape.

... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

I just always request the 1.75”, but never paid any attention to the shape.

REALLY?!?!?!?!

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I just always request the 1.75”, but never paid any attention to the shape.

REALLY?!?!?!?!

Yes really. Once I found out that there was no industry standard, for neck shape, I stopped paying attention to advertised specs. Not much point in loving a modern c, if someone else considers it a vintage oval.

... Al Capone

Jim C
    Participant

I barely notice fret board radius but the shape of the back of the neck and nut width is a big deal (to me). Interesting that something as simple as a 4-string bass can have such huge personal preferences in both tone and feel.

Or, I’m a whiny bitch…

RattFink
    Participant

Something about switching from a thick neck to a thin neck (or vice versa) makes my hand hurt.  I need to pick one size and stick with it

G&L Musical Instruments

4 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

I need to pick one size and stick with it

TWSS

Sitting here like uninvited company.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I barely notice fret board radius but the shape of the back of the neck and nut width is a big deal (to me). Interesting that something as simple as a 4-string bass can have such huge personal preferences in both tone and feel.

Or, I’m a whiny bitch…

You’re definitely not alone in your preference. I don’t even know what any of my neck shapes are, or have ever been. I simply don’t play basses, if the nut is smaller than 1.625, and then everything else just seems to work itself out.

Even 1.625″ is under where I’d prefer.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I need to pick one size and stick with it

Same.

... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Even 1.625″ is under where I’d prefer.

We’ve heard you like them big.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

NSYMCE
    Participant

It didn’t take long to figure out that I am probably in the minority in this group on musical tastes. My impression is that most(or many) of you are metal/rock guys. I am in the country segment, though mainly Bakersfield Sound and Red Dirt Roots Music. I started playing bass in a black gospel band, and slowly moved from that to more of the country/blues genre. I love funk and progressive rock as well. The one style I just can’t get with is reggae. Curious to hear what your favorite styles are?

In general I tend to like music without vocals more. My favorite to play is totally outside mutant space, presented with a “we hope you don’t like it” sort of attitude. Most of my best “legit” gigs were straight ahead jazz (ie 40s-60s era stuff), or before that jam bands. As far as listening I prefer bop, hard bop, and free jazz. But anything done like the players obviously really mean it is more or less OK in my book. Since I retired from gigging a couple of years ago I’ve been mostly doing Americana/Newgrass stuff, which is  a lot more fun on upright really. If I had room and the budget for a nice upright I’d happily just play that, in all honesty.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Being a Rockabilly/ Psychobilly fan, I’ve always wanted to try upright, but my talent is far below my desire.

... Al Capone

NSYMCE
    Participant

Being a Rockabilly/ Psychobilly fan, I’ve always wanted to try upright, but my talent is far below my desire.

It’s a huge commitment. When I got my EUB I hardly played anything else for several years and when I tried transitioning to a real upright a few years ago it still took a solid year before I was comfortable at all on it. At this point I’m pretty much reconciled to just being a 4 string fretless player and calling it good. I do miss playing guitar a lot though, and I think if I ever get back to doing open mikes and bar jams I might just do it on guitar. I have a much tougher time finding guitarists I enjoy playing with than good bassists, who are a dime a dozen around here.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    metron
    Participant

With PLEKing, isn’t that just shaping and leveling the frets at an “ideal” truss rod setting? Once the neck shifts doesn’t it sort of nullify the perfection that PLEK offers unless you set it back to exactly where it was? I imagine that if neck expansion and contraction were perfectly uniform over time then it would still hold true, but I fail to see how that is the case in reality?

gbrooding
    Participant

Anybody recognize this guitar? 12 string, short scale, says Phantom on the headstock.  Is this a Vox? Screenshot_20201120-072735_Facebook
    Also attaching the video.

A man's got to know his limitations....

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.