Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

Derail Thread

Home Forums G&L Musical Instrument Club Derail Thread

• This topic has 46 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by Jim C.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    gbrooding
    Participant

I keep derailing the Fender thread, so I guess I should just create a derail thread.  A catch all thread that will eventually devolve into the rest of the threads!

So what is everyone’s view on having your bass pleked?  I sent the neck from my 78 Precision back to a shop in Salt Lake City a few years back for a refret and plek, and it plays and feels perfect.  Intonation is exact, and there is not a dead spot on the neck anywhere.

A man's got to know his limitations....

Jeff Preston
    Participant

Well, my new neck from G&L was Plek’d and several of the frets aren’t even fully seated. Intonation seems pretty good when it isn’t buzzing. If my life ever slows to a Cat 3 hurricane, I’ll get it to my local luthier and have him get it up to the task. No way it’s going back to Cali, Cali, Cali…

JP
    G&L USA JB, FrankenJazzuar, Hartke 210 Combo, Darkglass B7K Ultra, Boss GT-1B, EBS Fuzzmo, Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave Plus.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Still4strings
    Participant

going back to Cali, Cali, Cali…

Man, I don’t think so.

Causing trouble in the sctmmc since November 13th, 2018.

"Punk rock changed our lives." - D. Boon

gbrooding
    Participant

Aaron Keener had a shop in Salt Lake City called Crossroad Guitar Shop.  The plek machine was very cool.  He sent me a video of my bass being worked on, but I can’t figure out how to post it. So here is a photo.

I was surprised by how large the machine was (TWSS).  It took up a big space in the back of the shop.

el8jmrQg

2 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

Be had a few basses plek’d by the late, great Mike Lull.

Upon one visit with a G&L, we discuss plek’ing.

He proceeds to shake his head and say  they may as well not even do it.

I ask why.

He mentions the likelihood of the fretboard expanding/contracting during travel/seasonal changes causing the frets to pop out of place, rendering the plek’ing useless.

When Mike plek’d my basses, he glued the frets down, so none of that would happen.

I’ve had 3 basses plek’d by Mike.

Extenuating circumstances leads to me only having one. That bass plays phenomenally, after having been plek’d 7 years ago.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    gbrooding
    Participant

@dedpool1052, whenever I see your tag line of “sitting here like uninvited company” I think of this song and interview!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

Are many of you guys comfy with the old style 1 3/4″ nut on Fender basses which I think was the standard through about 1967?

Still4strings
    Participant

Are many of you guys comfy with the old style 1 3/4″ nut on Fender basses which I think was the standard through about 1967?

Yup. I don’t seem to care much about neck size unless it gets extreme. I’ve only had one bass that made my hand hurt – it was the fattest (front to back) P bass neck I’ve ever played.

dedpool1052

I’ve learned that the nut width is only one part of the equation. Radius, neck profile, and fret size all play a part as well.

My ’81 Wunky has a 1-11/16″ nut, but is relatively shallow front to back.

My Fender and ’14 Wunkay are both 1-5/8″ nut width, but with different fret size. The Fender, medium-jumbo. The G&L, vintage.

Profile pretty close, but different enough in feel to notice.

The other day, I tried an SBMM Ray4 that has a 1-1/2″ nut, but sorta chunky fron-to-back. Quite comfortable, Actually.

dedpool1052

@dedpool1052, whenever I see your tag line of “sitting here like uninvited company” I think of this song and interview!

I like it.

Although it’s a bit of a left turn from the actual meaning/origin.

Here’s the origin of the quote.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Well, my new neck from G&L was Plek’d and several of the frets aren’t even fully seated.

So, getting Plek’d is like getting a blow job, you definitely want it, but it might not be so comfortable?

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Well, my new neck from G&L was Plek’d and several of the frets aren’t even fully seated. Intonation seems pretty good when it isn’t buzzing. If my life ever slows to a Cat 3 hurricane, I’ll get it to my local luthier and have him get it up to the task. No way it’s going back to Cali, Cali, Cali…

I guess up until G&L, I never even realized that Pleking was a thing. I don’t guess that many others do it. However, G implies that it might not have to go back to Cali (cali, cali)

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Aaron Keener had a shop in Salt Lake City called Crossroad Guitar Shop. The plek machine was very cool. He sent me a video of my bass being worked on, but I can’t figure out how to post it. So here is a photo.

I was surprised by how large the machine was (TWSS). It took up a big space in the back of the shop.

el8jmrQg

First that I ever saw one. I figured that the neck had to be off of it. As for posting videos, you really have to post them on youtube, and then just link to it here.

... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

That is historically, the only one that I’ll use. I prefer it and all of my G&L’s were built with it. I do have two American P’s with the 1.625″, but that’s because the only Fender alternative is to get the AVRI, and I really dont want nitro.

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Yup. I don’t seem to care much about neck size unless it gets extreme. I’ve only had one bass that made my hand hurt – it was the fattest (front to back) P bass neck I’ve ever played.

I tend to be more uncomfortable when the neck is small. Odd that Jim and I both do construction and like those giant necks. That may make sense.

... Al Capone

Still4strings
    Participant

Well, my new neck from G&L was Plek’d and several of the frets aren’t even fully seated.

So, getting Plek’d is like giving a blow job, you definitely want it, but it might not be so comfortable?

FTFY?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mktrat
    Keymaster

I like it.

Although it’s a bit of a left turn from the actual meaning/origin.

Here’s the origin of the quote.

Such a great tune!!!!

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    And the answer is none. None more black. -Nigel Tufnel

fcleff69

Love it.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

gbrooding
    Participant

It didn’t take long to figure out that I am probably in the minority in this group on musical tastes. My impression is that most(or many) of you are metal/rock guys.  I am in the country segment, though mainly Bakersfield Sound and Red Dirt Roots Music.  I started playing bass in a black gospel band, and slowly moved from that to more of the country/blues genre.  I love funk and progressive rock as well.  The one style I just can’t get with is reggae.  Curious to hear what your favorite styles are?

dedpool1052

I’m an obvious rock/metal guy, but do enjoy plenty of other styles if it sounds good to me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.