Skip to toolbar
Menu Close

Women of music.

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum Women of music.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

However, I’ve seen them both and I’m scared of them

I can be your favorite female bass player

I was instinctively going to say that all along… but I didn’t want to offend LBS. I can tell you that whenever I’m questioned on the subject, I always drop your name.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

You already are.

Awwwww!

That’s exactly what I was feverishly trying to avoid!

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

2020 Banger Music Awards Bass Player of the Year?! Yes please!

I thoroughly enjoyed that. Going to have to see mammathor in concert this year

... Al Capone

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

You already are.

<pouts>

You see people? I saw this coming at inception! I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING AROUND HERE!

... Al Capone

fcleff69

Yeah, I really blew that one.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    ituobrey
    Participant

Yeah, I really blew that one

TWSS

"Calmly, Powdered Toast Man...ASSESSES THE SITUATION!" -Gary Owens

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Teeheehee

... Al Capone

RattFink
    Participant

Yeah, I really blew that one

TWHS

Fixed it

G&L Musical Instruments

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

It’s odd, but I really don’t like many bassists at all, and the ones that I do like are really not ones that others revere very often.

I like tons of them, but I’m just not generally terribly impressed by “bass covers” or especially straight up play-alongs. That holds regardless of gender though. Truth is, I frequently turn off the video on YouTube music cuts and if the music doesn’t hold my attention on its own I’m out. I’ve been yelling at that cloud ever since MTV started though, nothing new there. Some people are apparently making good money posting that stuff online, good for them.

LBS-bass
    Participant

You wish.

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a signature?

6 users thanked author for this post.
    LBS-bass
    Participant

It’s odd, but I really don’t like many bassists at all, and the ones that I do like are really not ones that others revere very often.

I like tons of them, but I’m just not generally terribly impressed by “bass covers” or especially straight up play-alongs. That holds regardless of gender though. Truth is, I frequently turn off the video on YouTube music cuts and if the music doesn’t hold my attention on its own I’m out. I’ve been yelling at that cloud ever since MTV started though, nothing new there. Some people are apparently making good money posting that stuff online, good for them.

The only reason I’ve ever recorded play-alongs was to show someone I could play back when I was first starting to do auditions in this town.  Everyone wanted some video.  So I have a couple of those up on my YouTube Channel but I don’t do them anymore.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

The only reason I’ve ever recorded play-alongs was to show someone I could play back when I was first starting to do auditions in this town. Everyone wanted some video. So I have a couple of those up on my YouTube Channel but I don’t do them anymore.

Heck, all I play are chump Ramones type songs. I can do a few intricate things, but my demand has always been speed, timing, and spirit. If skill were to matter, I’d be a kazoo player.

... Al Capone

NSYMCE
    Participant

The only reason I’ve ever recorded play-alongs was to show someone I could play back when I was first starting to do auditions in this town. Everyone wanted some video. So I have a couple of those up on my YouTube Channel but I don’t do them anymore.

I watch little bits of lots of the ones my friends do, it’s all good. All the gigs I’ve ever gotten were from people seeing me play on some other gig, I’d be hopeless if had to provide recordings. But I’ve been in the same town for thirty years, so…;^}

2 users thanked author for this post.
    LBS-bass
    Participant

I watch little bits of lots of the ones my friends do, it’s all good. All the gigs I’ve ever gotten were from people seeing me play on some other gig, I’d be hopeless if had to provide recordings. But I’ve been in the same town for thirty years, so…;^}

Yep, I have three good videos up now from live shows which I direct people to if I need to, but almost all of the gigs I get these days are from people who already know me or have been referred to me from someone I know.  I haven’t done a real audition in a long while; closest thing recently was when I went in to rehearse for the first time with the blues band that I sometimes play with, but I think everyone knew I was up to that task, and the first rehearsal was just kind of “let’s make sure this is a good fit for everyone.”   Beyond that, I haven’t auditioned for anyone in maybe a year or a year and a half.  All those bands I auditioned for sucked.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

You wish.

Busted.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

dedpool1052

but I’m just not generally terribly impressed by “bass covers” or especially straight up play-alongs.

Let me pose a question.

Are you impressed with orchestra players? Who are sight-reading and playing on the fly, based on what’s presented to them?

If no, stop reading.

But if yes.

Why wouldn’t you be impressed by a bass-cover or play along?

They don’t have the notes or timing in front of them. They have to memorize the lines, and timing.

It may seem unimpressive to others, but it is to me.

Whether it’s an original piece, or a cover, the fact that they put the time in, to make sure they nail it, is impressive.

This is just my view on the matter.

If you still disagree, I will not respect you any less, or will I argue with you until you relent. That’s not my style.

A simple “agree to disagree” will suffice.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

I personally love play alongs for two reasons:

1.  The bass is mixed louder, which always sounds better.
    2.  They make it much easier to learn a song.

Being impressed is a completely different matter, and depends totally on the execution.

8 users thanked author for this post.
    dedpool1052

and depends totally on the execution.

Excellent point.

I’m referring to the people that nail it.

Tone, playing, feel.

Not your average playalong.

Sitting here like uninvited company.

fcleff69

Are you impressed with orchestra players? Who are sight-reading and playing on the fly, based on what’s presented to them?

I like your argument and do enjoy play alongs because, as Boney said, it helps when learning a song. Nothing wrong with that.

But I feel the need to clarify something here, as quoted above. Orchestra players are rarely sight reading on the fly. They put in tons of practice time to learn the nuances a conductor wishes to convey. They work with their section leaders to coordinate phrasing, dynamics, etc. It is a ton of work and practice. Can they sight read? Absolutely. But that is what their personal practice is for. At group rehearsals they are expected and paid to show up prepared. Even when they do solo recitals it is highly unusual to show up and perform sight reading.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.