Menu Close

Ladies on Bass

Home Forums SCTMMC Forum Ladies on Bass

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Jim C
    Participant

EDIT: Oh my, my post was edited. Such and excellent question about women and rhythm. Oh well….  Is this headed to TB territory?    😐

And Rhonda Smith; seen her 3 times with Jeff Beck; she’s the business. But they left out Sara Lee from Gang of Four. Opened for them once; very nice folks and great live although not a great video lighting wise.  You’ve might have actually heard this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YTDNJIThqI

GoF hit –  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHVI5fAzWq0

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if you knew this or not be we have a few female users, and the fact that they tolerate our relentless antics here, is nothing short of amazing. Beyond tolerating it, they also still do a pretty good job of kicking back, and they’re proud members. As such, we bend over backwards to keep all of our typical male banter, as clean and euphemistic as possible.

As insane as we often are, we actually keep a fairly bold line of protection around the ladies!

So I made a few edits to your post so that we don’t offend anyone… (well, anymore than a cats asshole staring down your breakfast cereal would) Women on bass is a completely relevant topic of interest to many of us, so let it role. Just keep it all in check please.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

7 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

Is this headed to TB territory?

Not at all. FB would have taken the whole thing down and suspended you. I think it’s important to remember that we are a growing forum and would love to attract all people, women included, and that we do have a couple of female members, one of whom is a founder.

I like the content of the video and think that the intent of the post is important. It was just a bit awkward. Let’s move on knowing that there are incredible female bassists in this world and celebrate that. Maybe they’ll start showing up here.

The Coberator. My other car is a Rocinante.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Oh my, my post was edited. Such and excellent question about women and rhythm. Oh well…. Is this headed to TB territory?

I suspect that 3 of our posts would violate more TB rules than an entire years worth of their entire membership there. We’ll never go where TB goes…

As you’ve noticed, we don’t moderate cursing or photo’s, but we definitely tailor it so that all genders, races, and religions can laugh at it vs. potentially being offended by it.

First, whack the driver, then, off the passengers. I want everyone in the car whacked off.
    ... Al Capone

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

For the record, I’d like to say that I love sex and I try to have it as much as possible. I think if I could just find a partner, it would be a lot more fun.

... Al Capone

fcleff69

For the record, I’d like to say that I love sex and I try to have it as much as possible. I think if I could just find a partner, it would be a lot more fun.

Yeah, those sheep are probably getting tired.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

I love Jennifer Young!

... Al Capone

3 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

FWIW, I’m a big fan of Mohini Dey.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    NSYMCE
    Participant

FWIW, I’m a big fan of Mohini Dey.

Me too, but I’m still waiting on hearing her in some more “normal” band contexts (or not, you know me). I didn’t see her around NAMM this year, which was maybe just bad timing on my part, but she drew some really big crowds in 2018 and was pretty much just throwing down NAMM chops, unfortunately. She’s defintely got that down though.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Jim C
    Participant

Doublestandard

2 users thanked author for this post.
    bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

This forum is all about participation.  Hypersexualizing women is something that happens in passing here, is occasionally funny, but never insulting, and to this point has not been moderated.  But an entire thread devoted to hypersexualizing female bassists is not one that invites equal participation by men and women.  And we would like ladies to feel welcome here.  Hence, disfavored.

Also, sexualizing women who have achieved great things is not a compliment, but rather robs those women of their individuality, which everyone is entitled to, and demeans their accomplishments.

So no, editing the thread to make it more palatable to half the population is the opposite of a double standard.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    fcleff69

1825A4FF-E45B-44E8-AC72-E67A92E9B5AC

Jim C
    Participant

Also, sexualizing women who have achieved great things is not a compliment, but rather robs those women of their individuality, which everyone is entitled to, and demeans their accomplishments.
    So no, editing the thread to make it more palatable to half the population is the opposite of a double standard.

Yet playing the dozens among a bunch of dudes is different?   What was posted could easily been about male members here.  I’m good about not pissing off other members, but let’s call it for what it is shall we?

bonin in the boneyard
    Participant

Yet playing the dozens among a bunch of dudes is different?

It is.  And welcome here, as long as it isn’t too mean spirited.  Busting an individual’s balls is completely different from demeaning half the population broadly.

What was posted could easily been about male members here.

But it wasn’t.  And punching up is different from punching down.  That’s not a double standard; the acts and the results are different even if the words were the same.  And whatever standard there is applies to all here equally.

I’m good about not pissing off other members, but let’s call it for what it is shall we?

I don’t think anyone is pissed off or offended.  But while we’re small and growing, we want to keep the site welcoming to all.  Having a thread with a misogynistic title and content that suggests that no matter how hard a female musician works and how much she accomplishes she’s still going to be judged first on how quickly she turns some guy’s lowercase pp into an uppercase PP is going to be a red flag to most women that their contributions here will suffer the same fate.

So just keep in mind that we’re in mixed company and that, if anything, we’d like to mix it up even more.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Doublestandard

It might be, I don’t know what I missed yet?

... Al Capone

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Spidey2112

giphy6

Endorsing scratchy pots, since 2019.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

Yet playing the dozens among a bunch of dudes is different? What was posted could easily been about male members here. I’m good about not pissing off other members, but let’s call it for what it is shall we?

I’ll never deny that sex comes up in here frequently, for comedic purposes. Sarcasm/ Comedy is what this forum is all about, and that will never change. Coming here for a laugh is why we exist.

I try and always be scientific when joking about it, because I find that the line between classy and crude is the same one between funny and vulgar.

It’s not hard to do, but it does take time to groom a mentality to it… not just Jims, but everyones.

I’m not politically correct and I don’t expect anyone else to be. I thinks race, religion, politics, and sex are funny. I always find a way to joke about them, but I do have to get creative… I would argue that this forum has exclusively spent 2 years refining that process.

Referring to sex with a classy tone is nothing more than biology… It’s just science! But referring to it in a crude manner… the way I like it… with farm animals… requires tact. And I don’t think it’s a double standard, because I would completely allow the farm animals to post about how much they enjoy it with me too!

... Al Capone

Spidey2112

It might be, I don’t know what I missed yet?

If I’m not mistaken, Jennifer Aniston’s wool panties.

Spidey2112

I’d hate to see the Bloodhound Gang’s unofficial video.

Armyadarkness
    Keymaster

A perfect way to describe my feelings on this topic (and a good litmus test for future posts) is as follows:

If my 16 year old step daughter was reading this forum (and she has before), and she came across something about sex that was educational, then it wouldn’t show up on her radar. If it was a sex joke, such as a “that’s what she said”, then she’d probably roll here eyes, maybe even laugh. But if I described how I was waxing the family station wagon on Saturday, and then decided to turn the polisher on her mothers ass before simonizing her on the toilet, then I would have some explaining to do.

But mostly because I wouldnt simonize her mom without first using a chamois and clay bar.

... Al Capone

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For New Registrations, "Contact Us" and Tell us Your Favorite Movie.

Skip to toolbar